1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

MorningSandwiches Music Thread [New Track 04/12/2015]

Discussion in 'Music, Audio and PMVs' started by MorningSandwiches, 10 October 2015.

1. MorningSandwiches

MorningSandwiches Trying To Music

Hi all,

So here is my first creative contribution to the MLP community. I've been interested in music as a hobby for 16 or 17 years now. Over the years I kind of drifted away from it as I didn't have a lot of confidence in myself, and real life took over until I just stopped doing it. Earlier this year I started watching My Little Pony, and immersed myself in the show and online community. The creativity in the fandom is just amazing, and it inspired me to take a look at my music again. For a few months now I have been working on a number of tunes, some new and some revamps of my old works, and put myself out there for once. I've released a few under a different name, but I wanted to do a little something to say thank you to the MLP fandom for inspiring me and reigniting my creativity.

So here it is, a revamp of one of my old tracks from back in 1998. It's called "On These Blue Shores", and melodically it's one of my personal favourites, as well as being a fav amongst my friends. I released a rough version of it under my other name a couple of months ago, but this version I think sounds a lot better. Even though the tune came out of my head all those years ago, this version would certainly not exist without MLP or the inspiration of the community. Overall, it's nothing special or groundbreaking, and the mastering could use some work, but if just one fellow MLP fan enjoys it then it's all been worthwhile.

I want to say a special thanks to @Amy Bird for allowing me to use her artwork for the video. Check out her art thread and DA account for some more spectacular arts.

I'm going to find somewhere to host a download for the track if anyone is interested, and I'll update this post with a link when it's ready.

I really hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. RAZ3

RAZ3 Future Despot

Mmm, I do like that chord progression. Especially the downward movement around the minute mark. And the key change around the 2:09 point is nicely done,adding some further harmonic interest to the track.

Couple of things I picked up on and more likely personal preferences, but the timing of the kick starting at 0:10 sounds a bit odd. Whilst not a massive thing, it can be a little distracting, especially if it soon goes into a regular 4/4 beat. Also, the guitar/harpsichord sounding melody around 1:03 sounds a little too clean and up front in the mix for me, perhaps add a touch more reverb to push it further back?

I can't really comment on the overall mix/mastering at the moment as my monitor speakers are yet to be set up (recently moved!) but I'll be happy to check back once they are and let you know what I think!

Overall, its a nice original track that through its variations, keeps the listener interested. Keep it up!

MorningSandwiches likes this.
  3. MorningSandwiches

Hi @RAZ3 , thanks for the feedback! That's exactly the sort of feedback and tips I'm looking for, I really appreciate it. I'll take those things on board - funnily enough my other half said the same thing about the kick at the start, she said it sounded a bit like a CD skipping, I'll fix that for the full version. And I'll give that tip about the reverb a go too. I may have been playing around with music on and off for 16 years, but it's only now I'm really thinking about the technical side too, but I'm getting there.

Thanks again, and I'm glad you enjoyed it overall :)

Edit - I do need to get myself a decent pair of monitors though, the ones I've got are about 10 years old and quite ..... compact!

#3 MorningSandwiches, 11 October 2015
    Last edited: 11 October 2015
  4. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

It sounds very nice, It sort of reminds me of the background music you used to get on late 90's games like Age of Empires

MorningSandwiches likes this.
  5. MorningSandwiches

Thanks! :) I've often been told my music would suit computer games, mostly retro ones. That might be a good way to go ....

Wonderbolt likes this.
  6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

xD, I think video game music is one of the most unappreciated forms of music.

MorningSandwiches and Mane25 like this.
  7. MorningSandwiches

Hi all, me again. I made a remix in the style of Burial. Full explanation on the video description. Hope you enjoy!

Steely Hooves and Mane25 like this.