1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

My Little Karaoke: Singing is Magic

Discussion in 'Games & Development' started by Renard, 21 July 2012.

1. Gemannihilator

Gemannihilator Nando's Aficionando

There's a printable list and .csv lists here.

2. sleumas2000

sleumas2000 The Like Monster Approacheth!

New beta channel released!

Hello everyone! We're back with a weird release, much smaller than the previous ones and containing no songs whatsoever. Introducing: the MLK Beta Channel.

We've decided to take the plunge and move forward with a new karaoke engine, Ultrastar World Party. This mod of USDX was created by the Ultrastar-es folks and brings new ways to play.

New features
    • Duets!
    • Online leaderboards!
    • Download new songs straight from the launcher!
    • 6 players on a single screen!
    • More party modes!
    • Better medleys!
    • Jukebox mode!
    • Webcam support!
    The new engine (Ultrastar World Party) is in Beta and currently only runs on Windows (Vista is unsupported). Mac users will still benefit from a new launcher and early song releases, and can usePerformous to play Duets. Linux users should go to this page to manually grab new songs ('tarballs'), and can either use USDX World Party in Wine, Performous, or Vocaluxe.

More info, and get the game here:
    https://www.mylittlekaraoke.com/index.php?post/Beta-Channel-released!

Kao likes this.
  3. Kao

Kao White, fluffy, OC Fursuiter

Fantastic! I can't wait to try this when I get home, these features are long awaited for our little group of players :)

sleumas2000 likes this.
  4. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

*squee!!!!!*

sleumas2000 likes this.
  5. Equestrian Idiot

Equestrian Idiot Muffet the Spider

I hope this doesn't mean the old version of My Little Karaoke will no longer be supported by new content.
    I run Vista

6. sleumas2000

sleumas2000 The Like Monster Approacheth!

All new releases will be released on Additional Content discs as per usual, the beta will just change the engine to a different (compatible) program that allows duets and scores. Anyone with vista can safely pretend this update never existed and still survive.

7. Equestrian Idiot

Equestrian Idiot Muffet the Spider

Ah, alright then.
    Thank you for clearing this up for me.

8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

So I downloaded this today and installed it but it just had the default ultrastar setup with no music on when I click play. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

9. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Enjoy this. Might as well get a good critique for my pone singing other than the neighbours banging on the wall.

10. SaccharoStrudel

SaccharoStrudel Active Pony

this should be fun can't sing a note but that's never stopped me before well once but that doesn't count

11. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Blowing the dust off this thread as I've finally got My Little Karaoke installed on my own PC and I'm having an absolute blast with it. It's a pretty large download (~16 GB) but definitely worth it. If you want to practise your karaoke for any cons etc, this is a great way to do it -- especially since they generally use the MLK software anyway!

Although online leaderboards don't seem to work on Linux (see point 4 below) everything else does. Just make sure you have your microphone settings correct before you start -- I originally had my level way too low and it cost me about 1,000 points per song! :eek: It all works very smoothly now, though, and it's great fun. :)

A few little bits of advice for Linux users that either aren't on the official site or aren't easy to find there. I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, but things shouldn't differ too much between distros:

1) The simplest way to get going is to install the Lutris launcher (see here for instructions) and then go to the Lutris MLK install page. Use the top link unless you have a reason not to. If your browser won't process the lutris: link, open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    lutris lutris:my-little-karaoke-singing-is-magic
    2) By default, your high scores go in ~/.ultrastardx/Ultrastar.db (note the differing capitalisation!) -- you can delete this file to reset your scores. The ~/.ultrastardx directory is hidden, so make sure you have "Show hidden files" enabled in your file manager.

3) Songs that aren't in the base package (eg S6 songs) can be downloaded from the Beta Updates page. Rename the .tar.mlk file so it's plain .tar then extract as usual. You'll get a folder called "Downloads" in which will be another folder containing the song. Go to the ~/Games/my-little-karaoke-singing-is-magic/data/songs and put the downloaded song folder in either "Official" or "Community" as appropriate. MLK will detect it automatically on next run.

4) I can't get online leaderboards to work. If I launch the game and go to Tools -> Options -> Internet I just get a message saying "No compatible leaderboard-plugin found!" I don't know whether leaderboards are a Windows-only feature or whether this is a bug, but it doesn't stop the rest of the game working fine.

#51 Loganberry, 29 July 2017
    Last edited: 29 July 2017
    Joshywooful likes this.