1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Net Neutrality under attack

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Recurrent Trotting, 13 May 2018.

1. Recurrent Trotting

Reuters
    I first became aware of net neutrality thanks to this great parody rap about it which even references bronies :p (look up here but no media link there is a little swearing)

Not much I can say really except that it sounds like the "apart-net" as in the rap. The internet is a crucially important social resource, so access to it should not just be in the hands of market forces and should be publicly regulated. Of course that means that the public who use it need to be responsible for its use too.

2. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Living here in the US, this Net Neutrality repeal has me very concerned. As a former Verizon customer, I've dealt with their throttling before the rules went into effect in late 2015. Good example, some nights I would get disconnected from Splatoon because of this, or my brother couldn't watch Netflix. Thankfully, after moving we have a new ISP that's more local, and amusingly have better performance than Verizon did in my old town, and they don't have a history of throttling Netflix.

I'm personally in favor for Net Neutrality because of this experience I've had. Will be honest, I'm amused how much misinformation on the subject has been spread about it thanks to some politicians and news outlets. I completely stopped listening to a local talk radio station due to their anti-Net Neutrality stance.

3. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

What is ridiculous is just how hell-bent Ajit Pai and the FCC are on destroying net neutrality, despite the fact it has nobody's best interests at heart except for the ISPs. Very few members of the public support the repeal, but the people that have the power to approve or block it all seem to be too happy to let the FCC and ISPs get their own way.

Funny. I thought they were elected to represent their constituents. Not whoever pays them money.