1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

New Camera Help

Discussion in 'Technology & Internets' started by nerdowl, 27 March 2017.

1. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

I know there's a dedicated photography thread but I don't want to clutter that thread up any further. Since before Christmas I've been looking to replace my current Bridge camera because it is becoming rather temperamental, and the further I get into looking the more confused I get. :oops:

I'm really used to having the zoom that my current bridge camera (Samsung WB100) has, but everywhere I look you seem to get people going 'oh no you don't want a bridge camera their sensors are awful'... but as far as DSLRs go I've got even LESS of an idea of where to begin.

My Bridge camera list has been narrowed to these three: Kodak AZ651, Fujifilm S1, Panasonic FZ72 . The first two have the advantage of a twistable screen which would be a bonus because I will be using it for youtube videos as well, but the Panasonic has the advantage of being a more well renowned brand (the Fujifilm technically is too but it's such an old model I'd have to buy it second hand from CeX).

Maybe someone here knows of something that would suit my needs that hasn't crossed my mind?

IDEAL CAMERA

- At least 26* Zoom (which is the zoom my current camera does)
    - Full 1080p Video (I'll settle for 720p if absolutely have to but as I do want this for youtube...)
    - GREAT Macro (My current camera's macro doesn't allow you to get that close and is causing issues for figure reviews)
    - Manual Focus may help with the above...
    - Twistable screen is preferred but I will settle for a camera with WiFi capabilities where I can use my phone/tablet as a screen instead if necessary (but it needs to not reduce the video quality - someone was complaining in the reviews of a Fujifilm camera (S9000W i think?) that if you started recording via the phone it would only record in 620x480 rather than the full HD it can do).
    - LESS THAN £200 (If possible. The Kodak I listed above is £240ish new right now, but I know some new models have started being announced from people like Panasonic so hoping for maybe an end of line deal).

EDIT:
    - My current camera is 16.1 megapixels but I know depending on the sensor size a larger sensor with less megapixels would actually give better quality (and this is where I start to get a headache...)

Any help appreciated. :)

#1 nerdowl, 27 March 2017
    Last edited: 27 March 2017
  2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

My Bridge (Fujifilm s8650) has 1080p, 36 zoom, super Macro mode and was less than £100.
    But lacks manual view finder, tilting screen and WiFi. So I think if you are prepared to forgo the WiFi and movable screen you can get more for your money.

nerdowl likes this.
  3. nerdowl

I don't need the wifi if it's got a twistable (one that you can turn round to face you, not the odd one like is on the Nikon B500) screen but I would rather have one of the two there if possible. That said the Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 I listed here doesn't have either of those. What it has is a very large zoom and one of the best image quality rankings from cameradecision.com - partly because it can take photos in the uncompressed RAW format. (Which was something I forgot to mention, mostly because when I made this post quickly today the thing at the forefront of my mind was all these people who say 'argh bridge cameras those sensors are terrible go get a second hand DSLR for a similar price' and I'm sitting here staring at DSLRs thinking 'I know nothing about lenses I don't understand these!' :oops: Which is why all I mentioned in my main post were Bridge ones).

I just put your camera into that site and it couldn't find that model (what it came up with was the s8600 which may be the same thing? I know the Panasonic FZ72 is the FZ70 in the US hence the different number for that in the link) and this is how those two compare:- http://cameradecision.com/compare/Fujifilm-FinePix-S8600-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ70

Ty for your reply :)

Just took a look to see what kind of prices your camera is now out of interest and it looks like a discontinued model. Not that that's necessarily a problem because I have been looking at CeX's second hand stock because of the 24 month warranty they give where their pre-owned stuff, but just something I need to think about.

I was tempted by the Fuji S9900W (may be wrong on the number there - I don't have my open office spreadsheet to hand. Yes I've been doing so much research I made a spreadsheet!) that Currys had down to £160 (I think) at one point - that was the one that had the wifi capability but there was a review that implied that starting recording with the phone wouldn't record in full HD. :confused:

4. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

I'd go for the Panasonic FZ72, I've had pretty good experience with Panasonic. Seems to have all the features you want except WiFi or a movable screen. The FZ82 has WiFi but is about £70 more expensive. I've got a Lumix TZ60 which is similat but a compact rather than a bridge. Only slight downfall is the low light/high ISO performance, but with the larger lens and aperture of a bridge that should be better.

nerdowl likes this.
  5. nerdowl

Oddly enough it was the FZ72 that made me start looking into what was currently available. That was my initial replacement choice. Will be typical if I end up with my first thought anyway.

The FZ82 seems to be what Panasonic have replaced the FZ72 with so I'll have to see what is going on price wise. :)