1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

New Series of Robot Wars commissioned by BBC Two

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by nerdowl, 13 January 2016.

1. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

2. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

That's interesting, the old show was certainly something I fondly remember when I was much younger.
    Hopefully they will be able to provide a decent format for it and will give it a budget, as a high budget is one of the reasons the original show was cut.

3. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

All we now is Craig Charles, Philippa Forrester and Jonathan Pearce.

Robshi likes this.
  4. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Ooh, interesting. I was a fan of it back in the day - even went to see it live once. Though especially as it went on I felt more and more that the show could have been much more than what it was; too many rules and gimmicks that put me off, whereas they could have focused more on the technology and competition side of things. Will be interesting to see what they do with the show now, I'd definitely give it a watch. :)

5. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I love that they're changing things around in order to fit with modern technology and I'm very excited to see what they do with it.

However, I'm hoping there's less backstage off-screen shenanigans. What I mean by that is that the producers often wanted things to go their way in order to make the show more exciting, which usually doesn't work well in a competitive show. The controversy around Storm 2 in the seventh series is possibly the biggest example. I just want less of that, basically and let the teams build something that still complies with the rules in their own way. But it's been twelve years since then, so I imagine things will change for the better.

6. Bramble Snap

Bramble Snap Cheese Sandwich Please

7. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Maybe that's why robot wars live was doing the rounds at comic cons last year in order to gauge interest for a new show.

8. nerdowl

No news on presenter(s) yet. Craig Charles has just tweeted the following:-

9. Thorn

He'd like to do it? I remember hearing in an interview he didn't enjoy it. I guess he probably missed the show too.

10. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

Preparing to activate hype!

ACTIVATE

Mane25, Robshi and Thorn like this.
  11. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I was really happy to read this news today. I've been hoping this would happen for years.

I hope that too. Surely they may be aware of how angry that has made a lot of fans in the years since that series. I'm rather hopeful they'll keep it as a fair competition. It'll be interesting if they stick with judge's decisions too, looking back I can point out a few which I think were wrong.

It'll be interesting to see how they modernise it too. Surely they have to make out of the arena wins either impossible or incredibly difficult to achieve. It was fun to see for most of the series, but in series 7 it became ridiculous just how easy it was to do. If they want to get the crowd closer to the action as they say I have a inkling the robots will be boxed in completely with some unbreakable screens or something.

12. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

i hope robots from battlebots can compete

Thomas+Ponies likes this.
  13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I was thinking before how I hope they introduce a fight to the death match, were its last robot standing. With flippers banned, no pit and no house robots. I always felt that wins by those methods were a cheap victory and not much fun to watch. Would much rather see robots like hyponodisc rather than chaos II

14. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Will be interesting to see how they do that, because when I went the one problem I had was that the atmosphere felt kind of detached because of everything taking place behind a glass screen. People had to be encouraged to cheer and the like because it didn't feel spontaneous like that. But I would imagine that's necessary for safety.

Ideally I think they should aim to go without the house robots and various arena features like pits in general because they detract from the competing robots, and make it more artificial. They were more necessary I think in the earlier series when the robots were much more basic and in many cases probably couldn't beat each other without outside assistance.

I wouldn't ban specific robot features like flippers personally, I think there should be as much freedom as possible; the way to counteract flippers should be for competitors to make robots resistant to them.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  15. nerdowl

Ah series 7... That was the channel 5 one yeah? I don't think I ever saw all of it as back then I couldn"t get channel 5 at home, but I did watch some of it with my friend.

16. Thorn

I was actually spoiled on who would win the series when I went to see it live. The Final had already been recorded before I saw it and they outright mentioned the name of the winner.

17. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Shame on them for spoilers, they should know better.

I think it's idea to have 6 episode for the first series like they did last time, after all they had to use stock robots to fill in the gaps.

#17 sean retro, 14 January 2016
    Last edited: 14 January 2016
  18. Thorn

Well, it wasn't all bad. I got to see the third-place fight. Yeah, you read right, they recorded the playoff after the Grand Final for some reason.

19. nerdowl

Apparently Johnathan Pearce said on the radio this morning that "his people are in talks with their people" regarding this... (Clip here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03fg0zh )

Would be great to have him back commentating.

Thorn likes this.
  20. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

It would be great if Pearce returned to Robot Wars, he really fitted the role as a commentator.