1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

New Series of Robot Wars commissioned by BBC Two

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by nerdowl, 13 January 2016.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I thought it could have been a lot better. Suffered from the same problems as the original in over reliance on the Pit, Timed battles and flippers, which make for boring play.
    Wish they had gone for a last Robot standing style were the round only ends when only one robot remains and the others are just scrap metal and no cheap pit or flipper victories.

2. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. They did a great job bringing the show back, but where is the old theme tune that I used to love?

Still, I was shocked to see Razer eliminate itself. I was surprised to see both Razer and Terrorhurtz together in an opening melee. I suppose we could have some big fights early on with returning robots. Speaking of that, it was shame Terrorhurtz axe didn't work when it fought Behemoth. That could have been an epic fight.

Carbide was really impressive, and I'm glad it ended up winning. It was rather reminiscent of Hypnodisc with the way it tore Nuts apart. :eek:

3. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Not a bad start, but after all they've been off the air for a good few years so they'll find the right path soon.
    I was also shocked to see Razer go out in the first round, But the true winner in that episode was Nuts.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  4. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I felt today's episode was better than last weeks. But I wish Thor had have won.
    The Fox robot was such a jobber lol the Guy kept boasting but won nothing.

6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I felt Thor should have won this heat too. They beat everyone in the one on one stage and then conk out in the Heat Final! So unlucky.

7. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Pretty much seem to be a case of simple steel welded designs doing best. I think the guys that won tonight deserved it them seemed a nice bunch.

8. Patrick Rowberry

9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

A good episode tonight. I had to laugh at the robot made of wood. I could only imagine what would've happened if it had gone up against Supernova or Carbide. Given it had a petrol tank too I was half expecting it to explode on the flame pit. :eek:

It was cool to see the first robot flipped out of the arena, and I like how the arena design makes it possible but only at the entrances. Flipping robots out of the arena will take power and control to achieve.

TR2 was pretty impressive and a worthy winner. Nice to see a flipper in the final knowing what two of the other finalists. We're getting an interesting looking grand final.

10. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Overdozer were robbed. Robbed, I tells ya!

But in all seriousness, TR2 really surprised me. Something I'm really enjoying about this new series is that the new, or lesser known teams have really stepped up their game. Before, if you were to see a robot who was at least fairly well known, chances are they were winning that heat. Not the case this time around.

Robshi likes this.
  11. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

We got some good robots tonight.

12. Patrick Rowberry

13. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

You see series 7 producers, Storm 2 can lose in a fair fight.
    And for the rest of it.
    [​IMG]

14. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

The thrown together but heavy robots seem to have the edge at the moment, the ones with intelligent designs just can't compete lol

15. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Great edition this week. I admittedly was rooting more for PP3D in this one. The low-to-the-ground flywheel approach, whilst flawed, is a brilliant tactic, as evidenced in some of the earlier fights. Happy that Apollo got it in the end, they were fun throughout the whole show. Poor House Robots.

16. Titan295

Titan295 Active Pony

i've been watching it on Iplayer with my friend, i remember watching it as a kid and i have to say we're enjoying it, watching robots get crushed, launched and shredded brings back some good nostalgia. We were surprised by Apollo's ability to flip the House Robots

17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Sadly I missed the first melee of this episode since the repeat aired earlier than the time it was listed as. Still, this was really fun episode for what I saw. Apollo was a great laugh flipping over house robots and even flipping Storm 2 out of the arena! I wonder if they'll manage to flip over Sir Killalot for a clean sweep of the house robots?

I did feel sorry for Eruption though. It was a great robot and I felt it should've won against Storm 2, especially since it didn't look mobile at the end of the fight! At least it managed a win during the one on one bouts though.

18. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Meh, Kinda hated how Apollo won on Judges decision, they should have carried on until one was left of ceased, allowed for repairs and gone another round.

19. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I'm happy to see that Thor got into the final with a wild card. I felt it was the obvious decision given how it went undefeated in its head to heads only to be horribly unlucky in the heat final. It's luck didn't seem to go its way here given it had to deal with Carbide in its first head to head.

I was hoping Carbide would win after causing so much destruction, especially since we've yet to have a spinner robot win the wars. It does seem that reliability is a problem for those robots though, since Carbide had weapon troubles and Pulsar had engine troubles. I think they can damage themselves with the recoil of their own weapon.

That final round was really close though, and I felt Carbide did more damage to Apollo, although Apollo did seem to be in control for most of the fight. At least Apollo was a really fun robot to watch.

I've rather enjoyed this new series of robot wars and I hope it gets another series, hopefully with a longer run and a bigger format. If it does continue I hope they bring back the old theme music. It was a much more memorable tune that the generic one they've got now.

20. Patrick Rowberry

love.... for are winner