1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

New Series of Robot Wars commissioned by BBC Two

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by nerdowl, 13 January 2016.

1. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

2. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

More Robot Wars...............Yes please!

3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

The new series (including the specials) is being filmed in the first week or so of December, at their Glasgow studio. If I'd have had longer notice I might've been tempted to try and get tickets, but alas it wasn't feasible for me in the end.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing more. A bit apprehensive about a 'Celebrity' special to be honest; I suspect they won't exactly be 'A' listers, and the chances of them knowing much about Robot combat is rather slim.

4. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Must we have a celebrity version of everything these days? Meh

5. nerdowl

It does say in the link that they're going to be helped out by a Robot Wars team member so there will be some knowledge there at least. (Doesn't say what teams mind. Bigger Brother is probably a pretty good bet and maybe someone from Apollo as they won the main series?)

6. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

Season 4 had celebrity take the wheel and if I remember Pussycat with Adam Woodyatt won that.

7. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

A friend of mine had tickets and saw this one being filmed. I haven't asked what 'celebrities' though.

As much as I have enjoyed Robot Wars on TV, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it live so much. The battles are very short and I expect there's rather long delays between them for repairs and such.

8. nerdowl

9. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

I went to a Robot live event back in October and although that was great you did have long gaps after each battle. But the Apollo crew who was hosting it did throw a beach ball in to the crowd to pass the time.

10. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

11. nerdowl

Zenfox, Oilyvalves and sean retro like this.
  12. nerdowl

Sorry, update on this! Scratch that - official announcement (rather than TV mag provisionals) says Robot Wars is 5th March (Same week as Top Gear starts), as there's two eps of Dragon's Den the week before. Time to be confirmed but 7PM seems likely still:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2017/10/robotwars

Silver Swift likes this.
  13. Silver Swift

Silver Swift New Pony

Excellent, as long as it is happening soon - loved Robot Wars when I was younger, enjoyed the first new season, so am looking forward to this one too :D

14. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

A extra week of waiting isn't going to hurt.

15. nerdowl

Yes! :)

Well, quite, was just correcting myself. The fact it is gonna run alongside Top Gear makes sense as well.

Silver Swift likes this.
  16. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

1 week to go.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how big the new House Robots are.

Oilyvalves and Robshi like this.
  17. nerdowl

Well the first episode was great :D

Poor Nuts, going out so quickly thanks to Matilda, but glad Jellyfish managed to win one fight after they got reinstated. Sheesh though Aftershock look like ones to watch right now.

Also Robot Wars has been commissioned for a third (tenth) series! :- https://www.reddit.com/r/robotwars/comments/5xu0aa/season_3_filming_announced/

ETA: Also on the facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=810626489101702&substory_index=0&id=567507380080282

Oilyvalves likes this.
  18. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

The first episode was quite fun, and it's great we're getting a third series too! I just wish they'd go back to using the old robot wars theme though. It was so catchy and memorable and miles better than what they're currently using.

It was rather funny to see Nuts fly out of the arena courtesy of Matilda. Reminded me of the classic series where she did that to Sir Chromalot and Jonathan Pearce shouting "They're out! Matilda caught them with the flywheel bottom, and that's a grizzly thought for anyone!" :p

It was nice to see Sabre Tooth finally get a few wins after trying for so long. It was pretty clear that Aftershock was going to head through though. That vertical spinner was deadly.

How many episodes are in this series anyway? Is it the same format as last year or will be there be more robots entering this year?

Oilyvalves likes this.
  19. nerdowl

Semi-related news: Battlebots season 2 has just started airing on Spike.

EDIT: Looks like (From RadioTimes website) that the first showing of the episodes is Wednesdays at 8PM, and then there's a repeat in 1) the early hours of Thursday morning, and 2) The early hours of Sunday morning. Last nights appears to have been a preview episode judging by this description.

EDIT (Again): Watching last nights now. Due to how many bots entered they doubled the amount of entrants from last year but there were 12 robots so evenly matched they decided to do a qualifying round and telivise it to find the last 4 to fill the slots (There's 56 robots total in series 2 of Battlebots and they said over 300 applied! :eek: )

#119 nerdowl, 9 March 2017
    Last edited: 9 March 2017
    Robshi and Oilyvalves like this.
  20. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I'm very much appreciating all this Robot action on the TV! Enjoyed watching both the new Robot Wars and Battlebots season 2 (even though I've already seen the latter).

My thoughts on the first new R.W ep:

Enjoyed it a lot, some good fights. Aftershock are seriously impressive, I'm just worried about their reliability. Sabretooth showed great promise early on, a pity it fell apart after not very long though. And yeah, Nuts getting owned by Matilda was hilarious!

Some of camera work was really superb for the new series, and I like the new on-screen graphics. The only weekness with the show I saw; some of the editing was a bit naff. There were moments when things really dragged. And a Whilhelm scream; REALLY?

Great news on season 3 as well. Now if only ABC would do the same thing with Battlebots..