1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

New Series of Robot Wars commissioned by BBC Two

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by nerdowl, 13 January 2016.

1. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Okay, thoughts:-

PP3D vs Cherub - I'm surprised the judge's decision went that way, especially unanimously.

Eruption look like their on great form this series. If aftershock last week are the spinner to beat this series, Eruption are currently the flipper to beat.

I felt for the behemoth chap who hadn't wanted to go with their new weapon. I was a little irked when he first walked off until I found out he was frustrated with his own team as opposed to cherub or the judge's decision.

PP3D seemed to have gone to that so powerful it destroyed itself issue you sometimes get.

Oddly the best match in today's episode was probably the very first of the elimination rounds with Behemoth, Eruption, and Cobra all giving it a very good go.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Gosh, OK.

That was a darn good episode :). Some of the best fights we've had since the reboot. The first group battle especially.

Yeah, that really surprised me too. A friend of mine suggested that maybe the showrunners wanted PP3D out to prevent the arena getting damaged further. :confused:

The Behemoth guy walking out of the interview was a bit strange, but glad it was due to his team-mates rather than the judges decision.

Eruption was very impressive.

3. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I won't comment on the whole episode but...

Ant's frustration seemed really unprofessional to me. I totally get why and I at least appreciate his anger wasn't in the direction of Team Cherub, but for a man who's been doing this for nearly twenty years, he really could have handled that better, at least until the cameras weren't on them. Again, understandable, but poor form.

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

That was a fun episode! I was shocked by the judge's decision with PP3D and Cherub too. I can only guess that they ruled PP3D as being immobilised before Cherub as there's no way I can see Cherub having won on points after that devastating attack. These spinners are getting rather scary!

Eruption looked amazing in this heat, and never looked like losing. It's a shame Behemoth didn't win against Cherub as I think that would've been a more exciting heat final. Still, it was fun to see Eruption flipping everyone out of the arena. It makes me wonder if they should raise the arena walls in those places just to make it a little harder. I guess we'll see if more flippers can capitalise on this.

As for Behemoth, I was amazed they went for the untested gripper over the scoop in such a crucial bout. I can see why the team captain was annoyed with his team mates.

Also, did I read here that Battlebots is starting a new season too? When is that airing?

5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Season 2 of Battlebots is currently airing on Wednesday evenings on Spike, starting last week. You should be able to catch up online.

Robshi likes this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

What did you think of last Sunday's episode? To me it was the least memorably one so far, but still fairly good.

One thing that's bugging me:
    They've seemingly screwed up the pit this series. I can't remember them having so much trouble before with robots catching or getting stuck on the pit surface in its raised position.

7. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

So who else is watching Battlebots along with Robot Wars? It seems we're getting a double dose of robot combat at the moment. :)

I kinda wanted to see Thor go through so we'd have more variety in the grand final. Hopefully they might get the wild card again. Concussion were a pretty strong robot. It does seem the spinners are the robots to beat.

As for Battlebots, I've been enjoying a lot of the fights so far. It seems flamethrowers are really popular this season for some reason. We've had flaming hammers, flaming grippers and all sorts of other weapons on fire. It is fun to watch them though, and it is a new tactic I appreciate.

I can't say the same for the drones though. For all the hype the show seems to be putting them they aren't really doing much in the fights. They look hard to control and seem to get immobilised rather easily. I guess drones are better off being put to use outside the Battle Box.

8. Thorn

Sheesh, spinner-mania was running wild this week, eh?

9. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Yep. To be honest, even though I enjoyed the episode overall, it felt quite repetitive. It was basically:

- *Robots smash into each other really hard for a few seconds
    - *Robots break down and limp about for rest of fight
    - *Teams struggle to rebuild robot
    - *Repeat

Supernova were most impressive early on so I was rooting for them.

But it seems none of the bots were built well enough to continually dish out the blows, unlike some of the Battlebots competitors like Tombstone.

I don't rate Ironside much for the final. It's bar is a bit slow to spin up.

11. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Geez, it seems spinner robots have become stupidly popular. There are other good ways to win you know! If anything this showed how unreliable spinners can be, particularly in the long run.

Also, it seems Shunt was popular in this episode. He was in all but one fight! I hope they mix things up better with the house robots in the rest of the series.

It was nice to see Ironside get some revenge in the heat final. I thought they should have won their fight in the head to heads. It was weird how the judges just ruled it as a tie due to the timer error. Thankfully it didn't make a difference in the results.

12. Thorn

Want me to be honest? I'm kind of not looking forward to the final this week. Not counting whoever the robot is that they choose to come back, all but one of the finalists are spinners. And I get why spinners are seen as exciting (and in the right situation, they are) and I know I can't ask much from what is ultimately a game show, but I don't see a lot of variety in this. Again, the BBC are certainly not to blame for my feelings towards it, but still.

13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Based on the 4th episode, I can certainly see your point. However I think there's also a fair bit of potential still, and I'm certainly looking forward to it.

If it's any conciliation, the wildcard will most likely go to a non-spinner, as I doubt Sabretooth (the only heat runner-up spinner) will get it. My money's on either Apollo or Thor (please let it not be Cherub). In which case the final would be 2/3 spinners.

About the latest episode:

Carbide is looking pretty unbeatable. Shame Apollo didn't really perform that well. The heat final was particularly disappointing with no flips.

Most awesome shot of the series so far: Crackers being thrown directly at the saw of Dead Metal.

14. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

You mean next week, it's been pushed back due to the golf.

15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

:eek:

So it's on Easter Sunday?

This actually suits me, as I couldn't have watched it this Sunday anyway due to a work trip.

16. nerdowl

I think this is why Mentorn have changed the rules for next series to allow certain entanglement devices (no nets but things like ropes IIRC) :)

17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

It was nice to see a bit more variety in the robots this week. Having said that though Battlebots seems to have turned into a spinner-fest with its latest episode.

Carbide is in devastating form. It was scary when it sent one of the Crackers n' Smash robots flying into the arena wall. I think Carbide may be the favourite to take the title this year. It was fun to see Apollo again and manage to flip a robot out of the arena. A shame they didn't manage to topple Killalot. I do wish the heat final hadn't been so one sided though.

I'm not sure who'll take the wild card in the final this year. I guess it's a toss up between Thor and Apollo.

18. nerdowl

Oilyvalves likes this.
  19. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

I heard about the ten robot rumble, I'm so looking forward to that fight.

20. Thorn

The Fog of War sounds... interesting. Certainly sounds like it'll do more than that spinning platform from the original sixth series if anyone remembers that.