1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Nintendo NX reveal TODAY at 3pm

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thorn, 20 October 2016.

1. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Yes, you heard that right. Nintendo is finally revealing their brand new system. You can watch the preview trailer at 3pm over on their respective social media channels.

Man the wait for this console has been excruciating for Nintendo fans (and gamers in general). What are your hopes for the system and do you think it'll deliver well?

2. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

I'll be at work when that happens. Just my luck.

3. Thorn

And here it is... the Nintendo Switch:

Cendaquenta likes this.
  4. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

.... the WiiU just came out didnt it? D= ive not even had mine for a year.
    but ill probably end up getting the switch later on next year. got an income now, so maybe ill save for it.

Thorn likes this.
  5. Bexa164

Bexa164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member. They/them

I am not sure how I feel about this. I mean, I am speaking as one one of the few people in the world that don't seem to hate the Wii U, so I'm still quite attached to mine. And my 3DS. I'm not sure how i feel about something that could come in and just wipe them both into disregard for this new 'all singing, all dancing console'.
    On the other hand, it looks like a really interesting concept and I'm intrigued to see what it has to offer!
    Also that was a new 3D Mario game. I love 3D Mario games

6. Cendaquenta

It certainly looks interesting. I'll wait and see if this rumoured Pokémon game comes to fruition before I consider getting one, as I have limited interest in the other Nintendo franchises, but if it ends up with a good library of games I'll seriously think about it.

7. Thorn

I don't doubt there being a new Pokemon game. Heck, I can easily see Ace Attorney making it to the Switch.

8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I dunno am not sold on the portability concept, battery life could prove an issue like with the Wii U gamepad and the small size will most likely mean a compromise in the processing and graphic power.
    I'd rather they had done a big old box that out powered both ps4, Xbox one and most high end pcs.

9. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

To be honest, I can't see me using it as handheld - OTOH, I do like the form factor and it looks a hell of a sight less clunky than the Wii U - if it can end up playing 3DS games then I'm all in. As it is, I'd be happy enough with the new Zelda game and Pokemon Sun/Moon.

I really couldn't care less about endless Mario retreads.

10. Thorn

If it sweetens the deal:
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Wonderbolt likes this.
  11. Irregular Apocalypse

Yep - the Tegra is a pretty capable piece of kit; I'd be interested to know what makes it 'custom' - may need to call in a favour or two with the folks I still know in the semiconductor industry.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  12. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Ohhh xD now i am more intrested lol,the Tegra is pritty neat, I am typing this up on a shield k1 which is great tablet built around the tegra, still worried about the battery life as my K1 is power hungry but that may be the fault of android rather than the chip.

Thorn likes this.
  13. Irregular Apocalypse

It'll likely be a combination of the two.

This is another reason why I'd not be inclined to use it as a handheld - I'm assuming that the cradle will form double-duty as a charger (ie. if you've got it docked and hooked up to your TV then it's effectively running off the mains) so unless they put a honking great battery in the thing then I suspect that battery life will be mediocre at best unless they play smart with the firmware.

TBH, if I wanted a handheld console I'd just get myself a 3DS (which I plan to do at some point anyway)

14. Joshywooful

Joshywooful Discord HypeSquad Member

Just seen the trailer for the Switch. I think the idea for a home console where you can play games that are usually only playable on PC or console being made playable on a handheld device is actually a pretty good idea. I for one am up for the chance to play Skyrim whilst I'm out.

The third party partners for the Switch also look great.
    [​IMG]
    (source: https://twitter.com/nintendeal)

Having companies such as Bethesda develop and bring out games for the Switch would be amazing.

15. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Really like the look of it, but will probably give it a year at least to see how it develops before jumping in. The design looks superb, and I've never disliked a nintendo controller - even when the Wii U pad looked as ugly as sin, it remains an incredibly comfortable piece of kit (though I don't think they've ever topped the GC controller). I'd be very interested in seeing what battery life is like as well, although I'd probably rarely use it ourside of the house. But I have to hand it to them - the trailer was superb.

16. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I don't think this is too surprising seeing as the Wii U had a portable aspect to it. It does look pretty cool though and that controller looks a lot more comfortable to use than the Wii U gamepad. I'm not sure if I'd make the most out of the portable aspect of it though.

Also, I am little annoyed since I've been saving up and thinking about buying a Wii U for most of this year and it's not going to be current gen console for much longer. I don't think it's been out for very long either, it seems rather soon to be jumping straight to a new console.

17. Thorn

You were doing so well:

18. Irregular Apocalypse

At least the dock is part of the package - I wasn't looking forward to having to shell out loads of bits for essential 'optional' extras.

However, there will be leaks - it is inevitable, and this may end up backfiring on them. We'll see.

19. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

This will be interesting with new console/handheld we'll just have to wait for the next six months now.

Going back to a card system is a nice change from a disc. Since a D/L DVD can only hold up to 8.5 GB, Blu Ray up to 25GB and a D/L Blu Ray up to 50GB, with a SD card you can put more in it and since consoles today have HDD built in (Switch would be using a flash memory) they can put more game data in its SD card unlike the its old system like the SNES and N64. Also since it has no disc drive means no motor meaning that there will be no noise from it and we should get a longer battery life out of it.

20. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

Okay, first of all, I would like to point out that, at no point, was the system ever officially dubbed "Nintendo NX". The codename for it was "Project NX", but that's all it was ever going to be - a codename. Just like how Microsoft's next Xbox system, codenamed "Project Scorpio", doesn't have a final name yet, and will most likely NOT be called "Scorpio" or "Xbox Scorpio" as its final name. But will people get this message through their hypercalcified craniums? Well, judging from their general failure to learn from their past mistakes (case in point: Project Revolution, which was eventually dubbed "Wii" as its final product name)... probably not.

Now that I have that out of the way, I can't say I haven't been curious as to what the final name for Ninty's latest system would be. And now that they've finally given it a name, as well as showing what it can do, I can honestly say that I'm not at all disappointed.

It's been a whole two generations since Nintendo last made a major system with "Nintendo" in the actual system name. (The last two simply being "Wii" and "Wii U".) And with that, we have the first 9th generation video games system: Nintendo Switch. And given what we've seen of it so far, the name makes perfect sense. Lucky for me, the reveal vid already explains why that is. (And without the need for any dialogue at that. Genius!!)

Personally, I'm thrilled by the idea of being able to have a system that you can play at home on your TV, then dismount to take it out with you (as you would a Game Boy or DS) and have the added option of using the two halves of the controller as two individual controllers for two player games in various locations, or games with even more players with multiple systems. Great for Brony meets! :D

My main concerns, at the moment, are how much the system is going to cost and what the online networking system will be like. As far as online communications go, we know that Microsoft and Sony pretty much nailed this a long time ago, whereas Nintendo are still playing catch-up. Will this change for the Switch? We'll just have to wait and see. As for expenses... Well, I just hope it doesn't do a repeat performance of the Wii U. (That said, I don't think I'll be getting rid of my Wii U anytime soon.)

Thorn likes this.