1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Open question about postgrad stuff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Cuttleshock, 21 November 2018.

1. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion (and Celeste!)

Hey! Long time, no new thread, and this is a kinda personal one (though it might lend itself to discussion, depending on how many people reply).

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad studies, and over the last month, my feelings about what I wanna do after my degree have changed wildly countless times. I've been trying to get a feel for if it's the right decision for me - do I want to spend two more years holed up in uni and reap the benefits that that bestows? Or do I get a head-start out into the real world?

So first, to anyone who's done/is currently taking any kind of academic postgraduate course, what influenced your decision? Why did you initially go for it, did you have doubts, and has your trajectory changed since? What do you feel it's done for you beyond your first degree?

Also, though, any people who studied at a university and then made the decision not to take it further - why? Do you feel like you're missing out, either in terms of job prospectives or just a more nebulous 'missed opportunity', or are you entirely satisfied with what your degree gave you?

My degree is maths, so it's likely that answers from people in STEM will be more directly relevant to my case, but any experiences could be informative, and I'd love to hear from as many people as possible!

2. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I'm sorry I'm rather late replying to this, but my new job has been rather tiring lately.

I'm a maths graduate myself, and whilst I stayed an extra year to try for a Masters degree I ended up just taking a 2:1 Bachelors with Honours. I did ask around to see if I could study a postgraduate degree at my uni but couldn't get any funding unless I got a First.

I think the decision really boils down to how happy you are with university life and whether you are really enjoying your studies. Job wise, you are just better off looking for work during your last few months at uni and trying to get actual career experience as studying for a postgraduate degree really doesn't really open many doors in comparison. I've seen career advisors at my uni compare postgrad studies for a career to sticking your head in the sand for so many years. If you love uni life and studying your subject though, a post grad degree is a great idea.

I do wish I had been able to get the funding, since I've spent about as long unemployed as I would've spent studying the post grad course, and I do miss uni life a lot even now. That said, I'm not sure how much I'd have enjoyed the actual course given I wasn't that keen on my dissertation. I get the feeling I may have ended up getting lazy and not lasting that long if the post grad course was mostly self study and writing reports and essays, so perhaps I was better off looking for work anyway. I just wish I had better luck actually finding work after leaving uni.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  3. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion (and Celeste!)

Thank you for the response! It wasn't belated at all, I've still got a lot of time before I need to commit to anything.

Robshi likes this.