1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Oxford Meetup feedback

Discussion in 'Event Feedback' started by Thunder Splitter, 23 April 2016.

1. Thunder Splitter

Thunder Splitter Ready for the Snow!!

Hi everyone,
    This thread is for feedback on the Oxford meetup. If you have any ideas for the next one, please put them on this thread or the main thread.
    Thunder Splitter

2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Well first of all I want to say a big thank you to you Thunder Splitter for organising the meetup today. For someone who's never organised a meet before you did a good job getting everyone together and it was a good afternoon. Even if things didn't quite go according to plan at least it means I can say that no-one scored more points in the bowling than I did! :D

It was also really good meeting @WimblingWomble (if only briefly), as well as @Somerset Cider, @Stormblaze, @Reverb Skyriff, @Shadowgaz, @Featherpaw and @Starscream759. Hope everyone else enjoyed themselves too.

Suggestions for another meet include punting on the river (if the weather's nice, would cost about £5-£8 per person depending on numbers, don't know how many people would be up for it) or the Ashmolean museum (which is free). Both would provide a good "hook", I think, and could be followed by going back to 'spoons afterwards, or to anywhere else if we found a pub/ cafe where we'd have a better chance of getting a big enough table.

3. StarStream

StarStream Recognised Pony

So, some suggestions for things to do in Oxford:
    Punting
    Board Games Café (it's called Thirsty Meeples)
    Cinema
    University parks (nice place to chill out, though perhaps a bit too far to walk from the train station. Although, could be nice to combine picnic in the uni parks with punting when the weather gets a little better?)
    Generic touristy stuff
    Work/ Problem Sheets

4. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Though I have never been Oxford before I have to say for my first time I had a good time. We didn't get to do any bowling, yes but it was fun to just hang out with the company I had and I thank you Thunder Splitter for giving me that opportunity. Though I missed you guys when I got to the train station I didn't realise that I'd get to the bowling complex before you lot, you must've gone the long way round with the bus seeing as I did take that cab to get there. Still enjoyed myself for this occasion.

5. Shadowgaz

Shadowgaz Well-Known Pony

Sorry I’m a little late replying, thank you everyone for the meet! it was fun meeting you all! Shame about the bowling. Perhaps next time we can go to the arcade and shoot some zombies >:).

6. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Wanton destruction of Zombies? I like those odds.

7. Violet Rose

Violet Rose Minky is a Sometimes Food

Oh whoops, completely didn't realise this was a thing... better late than never! (I live very close to the city centre :p)

On the topic of future meets, there's a group on Facebook of people who live in Oxford, either full-time or as students, and we're arranging a few casual pub meets - I'd be happy to cross-post meet details in the Oxford meets thread, or if anyone wants to be added to the group on Facebook feel free to pm me and I'll send a link. I'd love to meet more pony people in Oxford! :D

8. Thunder Splitter

Yes that sounds like a good idea. I think these meets will take place once a month so I'll let you know in advance so it gives people a chance to organise if they are coming.

9. Violet Rose

Violet Rose Minky is a Sometimes Food

Awesome. Speaking of which, there's a casual gathering in the Four Candles (in Oxford centre) this Wednesday from 5pm onward; is there somewhere I should post these other than here? ^^

10. Thunder Splitter

Well there is a main thread for the Oxford meetup so you can post about that meet there.