1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Permalinks to specific posts

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by Silver Broom, 4 September 2016.

1. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

Up to now, hovering over the date-stamp or post number (shown in the bottom-left and bottom-right corners of posts respectively), would provide a permalink to that specific post, which was useful for quoting or linking to from elsewhere.

Now, that link that appears goes only to the first page of the thread in question, which is less useful.

Any idea why this changed, or if it can be reverted?

2. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock wants a dragon boyfriend

Wait, no-one brought this up before now? Yes, it's been irksome for a while; one can get permalinks if one is alerted directly by the desired post or, in a pinch, by mousing over the Report/Like/Quote/Reply button and manually copying the number from the URL preview.

3. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

I had not noticed until now.

I got around it by clicking the Reply button, then obtaining the URL from the quote shown in "More Options…" then Preview.
    Right enough, an easier way is to copy the link by hovering over the "Like" button then removing "/like" from the end of the copied URL.

Still, it would be convenient if the permalinks on the date stamps could be reverted - this is common practice with other forums and services such as Twitter and Facebook.

4. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

I didn't know this was broken. Will investigate.

Edit: I'm not sure what caused this to stop working, but I have applied a fix for now. It's not as pretty as it was before, but will give you a true permalink to the post.

#4 Alteran, 5 September 2016
    Last edited: 5 September 2016
  5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

It does indeed work now as long as you use the post number. It doesn't work if you use the timestamp, at least for me. But since the post number version works, it does the trick. Thanks!

6. Cuttleshock

Thank you! This'll be of no end of use to my extra-foral gossip circles.

EDIT: Uh... Alteran, you broke something else. The arrow-shaped tabs at the top and bottom of each page, at the bottom between the Share links and the Toggle Width/Style changer buttons, is... definitely different. I think that it's normally ordered [home button] - Forum - Sub-Forum - Sub-Sub-Forum, and it's missing the second entry now. I know because I always use it to return to the main forum list.

#6 Cuttleshock, 5 September 2016
    Last edited: 5 September 2016
  7. Alteran

I'm in the middle of making some other upgrades. I may need to close the board for a bit later to install a more recent update.

8. Cuttleshock

Oh, tricky. Thanks for putting in all this work!

9. Alteran

It seems that this issue was fixed by the copious amounts of maintenance I've just performed. Not sure whether it was a broken add-on I removed, or a cache was that inadvertently re-built, but the perma-links now seem to be behaving as expected.