1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Pets and other critters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Pigasus, 10 December 2012.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I wouldn’t want to forget Holly, though that’s not going to happen anyway :)

Not a Game of Thrones fan here! More like spacey things. (Holly was the computer in Red Dwarf)
    Nothing fitting is really coming to mind just yet on that theme

2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Silly suggestion but - Jupiter? It's mostly pale creamy colours with the Great Red Spot (like hammie's red eyes!). Plus, as well as being a planet, there's the incredibly silly sci-fi movie Jupiter Ascending.

Cloudane likes this.
  3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Popcorn, I dunno why I just think it sounds great.

Cloudane likes this.
  4. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Stormageddon xD

Cendaquenta and Cloudane like this.
  5. Cloudane

Thanks for the suggestions! We settled on Popcorn, but will probably tend to call her the shortened “Poppy” :)

Cendaquenta, Wonderbolt and MCtoastie like this.
  6. Cloudane

Sat biting my tongue in works canteen as the conversation at the neighbouring table turned to painfully ignorant hamster discussion
    "Oh we had two, they kept fighting and eventually one of them killed and ate the other" (y u no separate them? Don't tell me they were also Syrians...)
    "Evil little things, you poke your hand in and they go for it" (yeah that's not how taming works)
    "We got one for the kids but they forgot to feed it so it died" (poor thing. You do know it's the adult's duty of care right? I know kids learn responsibility but are you really going to let them live with the guilt of letting their pet starve to death?)
    And the tried and true classic "Well they're just for the kids anyway"

For all the high standards the hamster enthusiast communities hold each other to and debates about minimum cage sizes etc, just think, it could be far worse, like seemingly any member of the general population.

#526 Cloudane, 7 February 2018
    Last edited: 7 February 2018
  7. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

*shudders* The poor critters. I bet they toddled right out and bought another one to neglect, too.

8. Cloudane

The starvation tale upsets me the most, I think of it in context of mine having to go through the fear and torture and just want to cry :(

9. Cloudane

[​IMG]
    Sleeping at the wheel

[​IMG]
    Yo dawg I heard you like popcorn...

[​IMG]
    Meeting Flutters

Attached Files:

10. Cloudane

Poppy's lost it

Refuses to use the bottom level with the substrate and bedroom hidey holes etc and seems pretty much scared of that level as if Holly's ghost is haunting it or something

So instead sleeps in a corner on the bare wooden 1st level platform, uncovered, with just a few bits of tissue and pees in another corner directly onto the wooden surface (that'll take some cleaning)

The food stash is the wheel. She's currently stuck in a loop: run on wheel, food goes flying. Stop and get out, fill cheeks, put food back in wheel. Repeat
    This one is really not the brightest...
    At this rate we'll probably end up rearranging the room and ordering a new large but single storey cage as this really isn't working!

MCtoastie and Cendaquenta like this.
  11. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Awwww. Poor lil' boo. Her head is filled with candyfloss to complement the popcorn! :p
    Maybe get a litter tray to put in that corner?

Cloudane likes this.
  12. Cloudane

Yeah trying that next! Neither ham took to the little hamster toilets you can normally get but you can get ones that are shaped to go in the corner that they apparently much prefer

13. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Yeah, it was a corner-shaped one we had/have and it was an alright little thing. Didn't get much use right enough because we bought it for the ham that did handstands...

Cloudane likes this.
  14. Cloudane

Now moved into a custom "bin cage". The existing one just wasn't working for her and also the pee soaked through the wood.

Bigger floor space on one level than the 3 storey cage, lots of depth for substrate, no mess as it's all contained, but just the one level - seems a bit of a downgrade from a 3 storey cage that is actually a proper factory made hamster cage but she appears happy with it so that's what matters! Looking to add another level maybe, and connect it via tubes, if there are signs of boredom.

And guess what, since the move she's finally figured out the potty!

As an aside, we're pretty darn sure she was a rescue and is a fair bit older than Pets at Home were claiming. I'd say at least a year old. Also the way the shop assistant's colleague was like "oh the rescue one?" when talking about it and swiftly shushed...

MCtoastie, Cendaquenta and Bexy164 like this.
  15. Cloudane

Seems to be that time again, I think my guess of "at least a year old" in April 2018 was probably a bit of an exaggeration but I'd say Poppy's about 2 now (headcanon: 11th November... okay maybe not as I'll be too 'at BS' to celebrate her birthday if she makes it), the activity's been dwindling, the breathing's been getting more heavy. As of last night though, distressingly laboured breathing, shaking/shivering, and a little bit of wobbling around at most in terms of movement. Tried to give her cuddles and got bitten (this is very very unusual), and not seen her drink for a day. She's been to the vet today (who does deal with exotics / small pets but IMO did a pretty standard "hmm yep that's a hamster and weighs about hamster weight" and had a quick listen with a stethoscope). Diagnosed respiratory infection (thought so), prescribed 7 days of antibiotics in the hope it clears up, warns us that if it doesn't then come back but it's probably something a lot more serious underlying and "2 is a good age" etc...

It'd be nice if she pulls through and is one of those who lives for 3 or even 4 years but slowly trying to prepare for the worst. I don't feel there'd be a third ham, I still miss Holly and it's rather painful getting attached to beings that live on average 2-3 years. Yeah the bit in the middle is great and you tend to feel that it's worth it because that's the bittersweet nature of life, but the period of distress every couple of years - I feel that there's nothing more harrowing than watching an innocent loved one visibly suffering, especially one with an instinct of hiding pain :(

To lighten the post, a picture of some quiet, sleepy cuddles with the old girl last week:
    [​IMG]

Edit: wow I don't want to jinx it but so far the antibiotic (along with some fresh thyme by her nose) has worked wonders. Still very sleepy but looking way more comfortable, and happily eating and drinking

#535 Cloudane, 30 October 2019
    Last edited: 30 October 2019
  16. Cloudane

She passed away peacefully yesterday.

Slightly fast paced tribute video - sorry, too much I wanted to cram in and fit it within the music!

Thanks for the memories little friend <3

17. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

What a sweet little lamb. I'm sure Holly's looking after her in the big hamster burrow on the other side. And maybe my boys Glorfindel and Seiji are too.

Cloudane and Blissful690 like this.
  18. Cloudane

Aww, I hope they all get to make friends :)

19. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

*hugs* we'll raise a glass to her at BS :3

Cloudane likes this.