1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Arlo, 2 March 2012.

?

Favourite Generation?

1. Generation 1

53 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Generation 2

38 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Generation 3

37 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Generation 4

21 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Generation 5

13 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

All it means is they're failing to measure up to an arbitrary standard set by a forebear. It's the equivalent of us being judged by a Victorian standard of success and blamed for failing to emulate it.

ShortCatt likes this.
  2. ShortCatt

ShortCatt When the time is right, I will know what to do.

I remember playing Ruby for the first time, not knowing any of the then-new Pokémon. Near the endgame, I saw for the first time things like Gardevoir, Flygon, Metagross. It evoked a similar feeling to seeing cool pokémon for the first time in Gens I and II.

Gen IV onwards, I sort of over-exposed myself to the new monsters months before the UK release - sure enough by the time the games arrived I had already decided on my final team. But I miss the excitement of discovering a new pokémon for myself. With the international release, I should be able to avoid seeing too much before I get to play the damn thing.

3. Rufia

Rufia Honorary Pony

Let's look at starters throughout time.
    Firstly there is Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'll give Bulbasaur credit. The others are just a rather generic lizard/dinosaur and a turtle.

I'm also gonna' look at Pikachu and Eevee, because they've also both featured as starters at one point or another.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    A yellow mouse and a fox. No points here.

Now comes gen 2 and with it Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Again I'll give the grass starter credit, the others are just a mouse and a crocodile.

Then there are Grovyle, Torchic and Mudkip.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The first two are just a gekko and a bird, but I'll give mudkip credit as I'm still not entirely sure what he's supposed to be.
    Fish with legs or something.

Then we have Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A turtle, a monkey and a penguin. No points here.

Onto fifth generation; here we have Snivy, Tepig and Oshawatt.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The last two are just a pig and an otter. I want to give Snivy a point because I didn't realise he was meant to be a grass snake when I first saw him, but I feel my opinion in this case is somewhat distorted by the fact he's one of my favourite pokemon to date.

Not sure what you mean by the first legendary looking like all the others, at least it's not a dragon.

The second legendary actually reminded me of the forest spirit from Princess Mononoke which is very cool in my opinion:
    [​IMG]
    He seemed to be a design that was neither meant to look the 'most powerful force on the planet' but not a pitiful one either.
    Celibi, Jarachi, Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie, Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin, Victini, Meloetta
    Ok maybe not Victini
    Kinda in the same vain as mew.

4. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

Cynaquil is an Echnida, not a mouse.
    Mudkip is a Mudskipper.
    Chikorita is a brontosauri.
    Bulbasaur is a dinosaur.

The deer legendary is based on Arlo.

Ripp_ and Little Emerald like this.
  5. Help

Help Honorary Pony

The legendary is actually based on Rudolph.
    [​IMG]

#2005 Help, 12 January 2013
    Last edited: 12 January 2013
    Little Emerald likes this.
  6. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

Arlo the red-nosed Xerneas?

Little Emerald likes this.
  7. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

8. Rufia

Rufia Honorary Pony

You sure? Looks like a mouse to me. I seem to remember him being referred to as a fire mouse at some point as well, but not sure.
    Then again I'm hardly familiar with echidnas, I know Knuckles from Sonic is one and that's about it.

9. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion (and Celeste!)

But in this case, we grew up knowing the G1 mode of design as the standard. We never thought of Victorian fashion as 'normal' or 'natural', as we weren't around in those days.

10. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

I don't know about you guys, But I'm still waiting on a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game.
    If any of you played those...

11. Cuttleshock

I played the Blue version of the first one, I think, but barely any of it. I couldn't get the hang of the system; my sister's done much more on it (and Explorers of Darkness). Ever since reading the Bulbapedia plot summaries of them, I've been terrified to try them out, they're so dark.

12. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

They're really good, The first two, Red and Blue were released for different Console (Red was the original Japanese GBA game) while Blue was the DS version.

And yeah, the story is pretty deep actually, The basic premise seems a but silly through

13. Cuttleshock

I might give Blue another shot some time (maybe when B2 and XY have blown over).

14. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

I'm gonna replay through one of them soon, But I'm headed into my nearby town for a meal so might see if there's a preowned copy of B/W2, and I'll grab that instead

Also, there's a Poll to decide which generation so far is the best

15. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

When I bought the DSi those games actually seemed to devalue the system... xD

A brand new white DSi on its own was (can't remember, this is an example) say £140. A brand new white DSi with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness and a DSi starter kit was about £115. Not sure why. xD

Anywho, I digress. I played them for a little while and they were okay, though I'm not sure I really got the hang of them. I ended up trading them in and getting a fairly sweet deal for 'em. I'd possibly be interested in playing a future version, though.

16. Cuttleshock

Ooh, polls!

Tough choice. I never really played G1 or G2; G3, which I did play, I played terribly (you know, the way a six-year-old plays videogames). G4 marked my learning how to 'properly' play the game, namely figuring out how to level a full party (though I played Diamond with my tortoise, bird, and Steelix only, and the former was level 86 by the time I got to the League) and actually bothering to fill my Pokédex. G5, I've taken the most seriously; I think that that may actually have impinged on my enjoyment of the games a little, but nothing serious.

As I barely remember G3 and before, it's between G4 and G5; and the G5 games are, hands down, simply better than those in G4 in every way.

17. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

Pokemon Stadium 2 got me playing Pokemon Gold every day before I went to school, that was pretty much everyday until I got Ruby and a GBA-SP.
    Then the N64 was moved into the loft, now it's back in my room as I try and rebuilt my collection.

But you could point out anything to do with those games and I'd consider buying it, because I love them so much

18. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

Ughhhhhh... Despite what I've said in the thread so far, I'm tempted to vote for G1 just for the familiarity of it. I know the Pokémon and their strengths and weaknesses and most things about them. They're simple and they're what I grew up with.

But G2 was also amazing. Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr is still one of my favourite starters and some of the G2 Pokémon are amazing. And if you're going by games rather than the Pokémon introduced in each gen, then G2 wins because it combines G1 and G2. Also dat theme song on the anime.

G3 I haven't really played much although I do know a few of the Pokémon. I think I stopped watching the anime before G3 came out as well. Having said that, I can name nearly all of the G3 Pokémon and some of them are pretty darn awesome.

G4 is where I started playing the games again and this is when recognising/naming Pokémon starts going out of the window. Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon is again one of my favourite starters. It's hard to choose a favourite between the G2 and G4 water type starters and Empoleon is one of my favourite Pokémon altogether. I think Diamond is also the first game where I completed the Pokédex 100%.

G5 I haven't really had much experience with. I've seen all the Pokémon before but can't remember most of them. I bought the game months ago but only really started getting back into it. I do kinda like what I see, but I think it has something missing... But then there's Keldeo! Another awesome Pokémon fighting very well for the #1 favourite spot. I got him in the GAME event in-store and he's now my team's main. He slaughters everything he comes up against. :p

As much as I absolutely love Empoleon, I'm not sure how I feel about G4 in general. I think G1 to G3 are my favourites. I'm tempted to go for G2 as the Pokémon are amazing and the games combine G1 and G2. Ahhhhhh I dunno. I'm not sure now if I genuinely prefer what those games have to offer or if nostalgia is drawing me towards the earlier Gens. :p

So yeah, how are we doing this? By Pokémon, by the games, by the anime or by a combination of all of the above? (Heck, G5 deserves to win purely on music! :p)

#2018 BonBon, 12 January 2013
    Last edited: 12 January 2013
  19. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

Depends on how you define 'Generation' a generation to me is everything that comes off the Main games of it So for Gen 4 it's Pearl and Diamond and for Gen 5 its the first Black and White games

20. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

There is one coming out for 3DS.

ShortCatt likes this.