1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Previous Con PoniesOnline (23 May 2020)

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Patrick Rowberry, 16 April 2020.

1. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

hello everypony,every creature a band new online con form the people behind hahcon is here "ponies online"
    on 23rd of may 10:00pm est - 10:00pm the next day find out more with there intro vid here

-website coming soon-

Robshi likes this.
  2. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Somepony has been hanging round with Mary Sue too much :p

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Con website is here!

Not a lot of detail there yet, but their applications don't close until 10th May so I suppose it's not that surprising.

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Well, I tried to check this out but their schedule didn't appear to match up with the actual start times for their streams. It also didn't help that the schedule didn't seem accessible until the con had already started.

Thankfully they appear to have posted some of the convention events on their Youtube channel, and from the look of the opening ceremonies video it seems there were a lot of problems getting things running smoothly. I guess there was a lot of teething problems as the con organisers try to get to grips with streaming an entire convention during lockdown.

So yeah, rather disappointing. Hopefully the people behind this can learn a few things from this and deliver a more streamlined experience should they try to run this again. In the meantime, at least there is another virtual pony convention running next week.

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I spent some time with this, so here are some thoughts:

On the plus side: I really did like all the vendors getting a proper bigging up in the opening ceremony. That's not something I've seen before. I also liked the enthusiasm of the staff -- there's not much worse than con staff who don't seem interested, or to want to be doing this.

I was also quite pleased by the variety of events that were on offer. Panels, trivia quiz, music, art -- it was a very decent effort for a small convention in its first year to get that number of people taking part. A tick there, certainly.

A good choice of con charity too, in Child's Play. I think at least one other con in the past has picked that charity, so that's fine by me.

The con website wasn't too bad at all. Not as good as PonyFest's, but certainly much better than the non-existent website for Burning Mare!

It was nice to have a G1 panel. The presenter spoke much too fast and irritated me with a "long story, don't ask" about a point that con-goers would surely be interested in (multiple Moondancers!) so I didn't stay till the end, but I still appreciated the effort.

Minuses: the schedule was a bit of a mess. It really is a terrible idea to start a panel earlier than billed, as happened with StormBlaze's art panel near the end of the con. All that does is make those who wanted to see it (including me!) miss the entire first half.

Using Eastern Standard Time for the schedule also confused quite a few people. 48 out of 50 US states use daylight saving, so Eastern Daylight Time would have been a better choice for a summer(ish) convention.

Mixing YouTube and Twitch didn't really work, especially after the main YT channel went down in the first hour(!) Given YT's tendency to be a pain in various respects, it might be best to stick entirely to Twitch next time.

The charity auction was a brave effort, in that I don't think an online convention has tried such a thing before, but the format will need some serious changing if PoniesOnline runs again. The one they used this time just didn't work at all.

Overall, I'd say it was a mixed bag. Give it a shake-up, get in more staff with experience running conventions, fix the timetabling issues, stick to Twitch and sort out the auction, and a second edition could work noticeably better.