1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Pony Care and Tips!

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by Pastel Kiwi, 21 October 2014.

1. Pastel Kiwi

Pastel Kiwi New Pony

...A fair few posts on this page are me... Opps. :3''
    I'm pretty new to collecting and looking after ponies and I'd really like to keep them in best condition as possible. I've seen a few tips like using fabric softener and water on the hair and such, but I'd like to here your guys tips! Anyone have any sites they use?
    Thanks!

~ Kiwi

2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Dax likes this.
  3. Galaxxia

Galaxxia New Pony

Hey Kiwi!

I met you at Ponycon, we had the stall over in the corner - I'm the girl with blue hair :)

To clean ponies, you can't beat a magic eraser. They sell them in Asda/Tesco etx (just make sure you get the Doktor Pwer ones, and not the ones with bleach/bathroom cleaners in etc). Just dip them in water, and watch them literally renew ponies. It's insane.

To wash hair, I wet the hair in warm water (don't submerge the bodies, as you'll get the metal tail washers inside wet, and you'll then get tail rust developing). Then just smooth on loads of conditioner (make sure its a non-coloured, creamy type conditioner), and leave for a few minutes, before rinsing, and wrapping the tail/mane around the body or back leg, and secure with some toilet paper/kitchen roll. The wetness of the hair will keep it in place, and when you take it off, you're left with awesome looking waves and curls

I also use a rotary sander to (gently!) sand off writing/highlighter pen etc that I can't clean or sunfade off. I am a brutal pony cleaner haha.

4. Pastel Kiwi

Pastel Kiwi New Pony

Ahhh, i remember you yes ;v; Okay, thanks! I'll try too get my hands on one of the magic erasers.
    Yeah, i read about tail rust as one of mine has a little so I'm going to have to clear her out at some point.

5. pinkkittywinks

pinkkittywinks Princess Kittywinks

Take care with glitter symbols! If you scrub to hard they will come off.

For the most part, washing up liquid and a toothbrush (use an old one!) will get rid of most of the grime.

Be careful with using shampoo/conditioner on ponies, I stick to washing up liquid and fabric soften (or wig conditioner) I have found products for human hair can leave a residue on ponies. In some cases it can damage ponies too :(

Love pkw xxx

6. Tina Sallis

Tina Sallis Recognised Pony

In the past when have had a particularly grungy pony with dirt on the inside, I have de-headed and de0tailed and submerged the body in water with a couple of denture cleaning tablets inside, then scrub with a toothbrush and they come out lovely and fresh!

pinkkittywinks likes this.
  7. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

Sooo, anyone found that their some of their ponies have mould-like black spots develop on it? I have a G4 AJ with a couple of these spots on and I don't know what caused them or how to get them off. It's like the plastic has gone off.

8. Tina Sallis

G4 with mould?? Really? WOW! I have only heard of this in the old G1 ponies. Are you able to post a photo so we can see what we are dealing with??

pinkkittywinks likes this.
  9. pinkkittywinks

pinkkittywinks Princess Kittywinks

I agree with Tina that pictures would help diagnose the problem.

I too am surprised to see this kind of problem on a G4 as the plastic is quite different compared to the G1 ponies.

Love pkw xxx

10. Cendaquenta

Not sure if anyone will even look at this thread any more, but I just wanted to ask something.

I bought a G1 pony off Ebay a few days ago and it just arrived. However when I opened it there was a very strong smell coming off it - as soon as I opened the package I could smell it and the pony was wrapped in two or three layers of bubble wrap! I thought it was cigarette smoke, however my mum disagrees and thinks it's just the plastic. I have washed and shampooed the pony and the smell has lessened but not completely gone.

So - does anyone here know if the smell could be the sign of a problem, or is it just something it's absorbed?
    (The pony is a Sunspot, with translucent/glitter body, if that's relevant at all.)

11. Tina Sallis

Could be a couple of things.

Firstly, your Sunspots body, is it a nice clear orange or does it look a bit grubby inside?

This could be a touch of mold. In which case, you'll need to remove her head and clean the inside of her body. I use an oxy action denture cleaner and a small headed toothbrush. Maybe a pipe cleaner to get down into her legs if needed. Dry thoroughly, re-assemble pony and she should be nice and clean.

If her body is clear and she still smells...

Pop her in a small baggie of clean kitty litter for a few days. There is odor neutralizing stuff in the kitty litter that well...neutralizes the odor :D!! I have also heard of people having successes using fabric conditioner on the hair ti mask unpleasant odors.

12. Cendaquenta

Thanks for the tips! The body is perfectly clear so definitely not mould.
    Over the last week the smell has actually faded quite a bit, so it's hard to notice unless I actually put my nose up to her now. Might try the fabric conditioner and cat litter tips, and will certainly keep them in mind for the future, but she should be fine as she is now I think. :) Pretty sure it was just an absorbed smell.