1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Pony prints on wood!

Discussion in 'Crafts and Cooking' started by Addy, 7 June 2014.

1. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Sorry for the bad piccies!

I edited together the covers for issues 18 and 19 of the MLP comic (removed the logo and Derps), and transferred it onto a piece of plywood! I've painted in the mirror, too - on the first attempt, I actually cut it out and put a real mirror behind it, but it didn't look right...

Really easy to do! I've done it three ways, so here's a quick how-to for any folks who wanna try -

- Print your image (inkjet) onto anything shiny or waxed, like the backing to a set of stickers or labels. Then carefully lay it down onto the wood and rub gently. If you dampen the wood ever so slightly, it makes for deeper colour at the cost of sharpness.

- Print your image (laser), then place it facedown on the wood. Press with a hot iron for a few minutes and peel! It comes out a little dull, but it looks great, like it's aged or weathered.

- Spread a thin coat of PVA glue over the wood, then place your printed image (I did this with a laser print, but should work with inkjet too!) face-down onto the wood and smooth it out. Let it dry, then take a wet sponge and gently rub the paper away. This generally gets very good results!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is all. ;)

Bowsaw and Recurrent Trotting like this.
  2. Spear

Spear Honorary Pony

That looks fantastic nice one! I might have to give this a go when I have the time... and a printer xD

3. Luna-Kristin

Luna-Kristin Recognised Pony

Oh I love this! Good one!

4. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Thanks, Sara Fae! You too, Spear.

I've been playing around with various methods this week, and I've managed to do some much nicer stuff! Of course, I tore my hair out after ruining a whole bunch as well. I'll do the trial so you don't have to do the error! ;)

Things I have learned;

- Different waxed papers will give stronger or lighter inks. Try a few.
    - If you use the back of a label sheet, make sure the die hasn't imprinted on the paper - this will show up.
    - It works well to press the wood onto the paper, especially with, say, a sheet of foam underneath. Less chance of the paper sliding around and smudging the image.

- Varnish (spray or liquid) almost invariably darkens the wood grain, and thus lowers the contrast of the image. Not worth it.
    - A coat of PVA will give a nice sheen.

- Make sure, if you're using the third method I described, that you rub off all the paper. Any left over will show once it dries.
    - It's imperative that you don't use too much glue when laying the paper down, you don't want bubbles or lumps!
    - A diluted mixture of PVA and water will restore the image to a nice subtle gloss once the paper is rubbed off.

Might take some piccies later if the light stays good. :D I hope you do give this a try! Ask me any questions if you're unsure. It only takes a few minutes to do (not counting glue drying time), so it's not a bad project for the impatient - like me!! ;)

5. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Had some good sunshine just now, so took some piccies!

[​IMG]

I love how this one came out! It's a nice cover, looks great on wood.

[​IMG]

This was done with the wax paper. Came out lighter than previous ones, but still nice!

[​IMG]

Got a much sharper, bolder print of this picture! I love it!

[​IMG]

Now this, I printed onto fabric and made a frame for it. Just an hour or two's work, nothing fancy, but I'm so happy it came out well! Can you tell I have a thing for Andy Price's work? Hehehe! :D

That is all.

Stormblaze and Featherpaw like this.
  6. Luna-Kristin

Oh my goodness, these are all amazing! I just love how they've came out. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for sharing. I do enjoy seeing crafty work :)

Addy likes this.
  7. Featherpaw

Featherpaw Honorary Pony

Omg this is an amazing idea!

I've seen people on Pinterest do this to make magnets and stuff, and they always rave about using Mod Podge. But It's awesome to know that PVA works just as well :D Mod Podge is a bit pricey for what it is, so I was a bit put off my it. But YAY! Now I can do this and keep it cheap :D

Thanks for this :D

8. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

You're quite welcome, Ms. Featherpaw! I saw the same thing, you know. And all these people were raving about "Mod Podge", and I didn't know what the hip-hop heck it was. Looked just like PVA glue to me, so I gave it a try. Hehehe! Glad I did, too.

If you need any help, just ask. ^_^

To match the size of the picture with the wood and avoid a border, I found it easier to put a whole piece of A4 on, and then cut the wood to shape after it had all dried and the paper had been rubbed off. Oh, remember to use a thin (like, at least 50/50) solution of glue to glaze the picture after you're done.

I live in Exeter, so I got loads of plywood and balsa wood (in convenient sizes!) from the various model shops around here. I went to B&Q at first, but it was expensive and, well, massive. Hehehe! Like, five or six feet square. :D

Featherpaw likes this.
  9. Sky_Bound

Sky_Bound On The Moon

Do you think you could do a more detailed tutorial on making this sort of thing for people like me who haven't totally grasped how it's done? Like a step by step procedure with pictures. I'd love to try this! Especially the fabric one! That looked amazing!

10. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Sure thing. ^_^

To help me out, could you please tell me anything specific that you don't understand? I'll make sure to explain better.

As for the fabric, that was actually zero effort. :D You can buy canvas sheets that can be loaded into a printer! I got them for like £1 from a craft shop. Although, being absorbent, any of the methods for transferring a print onto wood should work.

11. Sunsetstreamer

Sunsetstreamer Honorary Pony

These look great. :D
    I might have to try it at some point. It could end up being exactly what I'm looking for to colour diy pendants.

12. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Thanks, Sunset. Glad you like them! I'm gonna have another go and make something more practical... like a trinket box or something - something I can use. I have run out of space to hang things on the wall. :D

Luna-Kristin likes this.
  13. Luna-Kristin

Ooh I look forward to seeing what you do next. It's bound to be fantastic given the level of awesome these achieved... no pressure lol :p:D

14. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

*is crushed by the pressure like a polystyrene cup in the Mariana Trench*

The game is on now, Sarah Fae. :D Watch this space! And thank you very much for the kind words! :p

Luna-Kristin likes this.
  15. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Righty then! After a hard day's work, I made a nice box and printed a cool design on it!

The way it turned out, I ended up making it Pokémon themed instead of pony. Well.... that's not true. I started out making two, one pony and one to store my Pokémon games in, but it was such hard work I gave up on the other. I don't have any tools other than a huge hand saw and a blunt pair of scissors. :( I was out by maybe 2mm on each cut - so a LOT of time was spent gluing and filling.

Anyway - you folks will be pleased to find out that I came up with yet another way of printing onto wood! This one cheaper and easier than all that came before, so you really have no excuse!! ;) It goes like so:

Get a pack of glossy photo paper (I got a whole stack of 4x6 from Poundland).
    Print your pictures on from your computer (mirrored if you want)
    Lightly dampen the wood with a sponge or towel. Let it dry for a bit - you want it just to be EVER SO SLIGHTLY damp. I cannot stress this enough.
    Press your photo onto the wood and rub with your thumb
    Peel off! It comes off just like one of those temporary tattoos! Fantastic!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then I did this just for a larf. ;)

[​IMG]

That is all. :p

16. Luna-Kristin

Utterly fabulous. Love, love, love :D

17. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

You're too kind, Sarah Fae!! It was tough work, especially in this heat. I'm taking a bit of a rest, today!

18. Luna-Kristin

I don't blame you Hun. I think your creations earn you lots of rest points.

Achievement unlocked: Has awesome pony creation skillz

Hehe :D

19. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

:oops: Oh golly, I am not used to such compliments...!

Thanks, Sarah Fae. You just about made my day!!

20. 14jammar

14jammar Honorary Pony

WOW! They look really kool, the top one really makes me want to read the comics, hu, I might do that, thanks!

Addy likes this.