1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Upcoming Con PonyFest Online! general discussion (4.0 with added TrotCon: 17/18/19 July 2020)

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 31 March 2020.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This thread is for discussing all iterations of PonyFest Online. The next one is currently scheduled for Saturday 30 May.

Official website here!

#1 Loganberry, 31 March 2020
    Last edited: 26 April 2020
    Bridle Timeout likes this.
  2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

So much for "The fandom is dead" :p

Loganberry likes this.
  3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Yesterday’s ‘PonyFest Online 2.0’ was my first online convention. And I really had a surprisingly good time! It felt like so much more than just tuning in to the odd live stream. The excitement and buzz one gets from an in-person convention was there.

The con Discord server was a big part of that, and I think the different channels we’re set up well for the events, vendors, gaming, artwork and general chat. Even though over 5000 attendees entered the server, the individual text chats weren’t overwhelming. You could interact with others without messages getting lost. I didn’t try the voice channels so can’t comment on them.

The events I tuned into worked for the most part. These were the opening ceremony, Prince Whateverer’s concert, the EU convention panel, Jackbox with the Gang, and Lena Hall to top it all off. The Schedule was laid out well and easy to follow (particularly with time zone set automatically). My highlight was definitely Lena Hall’s panel, including a brief live musical performance with about 500 people watching. The holding music between events also really helped to set the mood.

My day was made better by being able to pop into in our local ponymeet servers as well. It felt like at a convention where you occasional bump into friends and discuss how the day is going.

I regret not spending time looking through the ‘vendor hall’, as there seemed to be a lot on offer. Something I can hopefully get into more next time! Also being in the UK, it’s inevitable that we have to miss some stuff late at night.

All in all, I recommend people giving online conventions a go if they haven’t already, given these difficult times we currently live in.

Bridle Timeout and Loganberry like this.
  4. Loganberry

I second what @Oilyvalves said. I attended the first PonyFest as well, and it was very good, but this one was quite a lot larger and slicker. The European cons panel (with the UK represented by UKPC's own Bexi/Midnight Dynasty) was very interesting, and I have to agree that Lena Hall's spot was a real highlight -- largely because she is such a likeable person as well as being ultra-talented, but also because Foalpapers was a good interviewer.

As those who know me will have expected, I also dipped into several of the fanfic panels -- it was a rare treat to have a whole writing track available. I even knew who some of the panellists were! :p Sadly the con being (understandably) based on the US day meant that staying up for Forest Rain's performance was impossible -- she did it at 5 am! Maybe if one of the European cons (Galacon perhaps) has a go at a virtual convention we might be a little luckier.

The social aspect of conventions is a very big part of their attraction. While it's inevitably not quite the same when you're not there in person, I felt PonyFest came about as close as you could manage with a Discord-centric event. What was particularly good was that the multiple rooms stopped things getting totally overwhelmed -- that was occasionally a problem with PonyFest 1, with conversations almost impossible to keep up with at the busiest times.

And yes, there will be a PonyFest 3.0! It'll be held on Saturday 30 May. More fuf awaits! :D

(I think we'll keep this thread open for all future PonyFests. It seems more sensible than starting a new one each time.)

Bridle Timeout and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Bridle Timeout

I was a bit distracted with other stuff last night, so I didn't attend. However, given the positive response both of these have received, I will make a point to log onto the next one. :)

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Just dropping in here to say I had another great time at PonyFest Online 3.0! :)

The inclusion of an earlier European portion to the schedule was most welcome. The panel with Anneli Heed (Swedish Spitfire etc.) was certainly a highlight.

I tuned into a few events, including the charity auction. The mechanism they used for doing it over Discord worked really well, and it was great fun to watch! Later in the evening, the Production panel with some of the show board artists/animators was also really enjoyable.

This time I made the effort to check out the vendor hall properly. I’ve ordered myself a couple of items, so I look forward to receiving them in the coming weeks. :D

The convention hype/buzz was there again. Chatting with people of local servers again also helped. Sunday has most definitely felt quiet in comparison, despite the fact I’m stuck at home both days. ;)

I certainly plan to ‘attend’ PonyFest 4.0. FUF! :p

Loganberry likes this.
  7. Bridle Timeout

Missed it again, due to moving and being dependent on mobile data until our internet service gets switched over. :p

Hopefully I can see the 4.0 incarnation. :p Uh... FUF? Am I doing it right? :p

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  8. Loganberry

They announced at the end of the con that 4.0 would run for three days -- 17th-19th July -- and that it would be a joint effort with TrotCon! The PonyFest site hasn't yet been updated to reflect this, though.