1. Hey, Guest. You will require a character before you will be able to participate. You can apply for that by clicking here.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Ponyville Portrait & Poetry Pony At Your Service

Discussion in 'Main Roleplay' started by Explonova, 24 August 2012.

1. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Brohorn had only just settled in his new home at Ponyville, and was enjoying his time in the Equestrian mainland thus far. After the log cabins had passed the construction stage; the Viking Ponies had now started to focus on their relationship with the Ponyville locals, now that they had houses to live in.

The Viking Ponies had many things to offer, including ornaments made of horn, precious stones and metals only found on their island. One particular item that was espcially popular among Equestrian Ponies, was a sweet honey beverage that sold by the barrel. In turn, the Viking Ponies were very impressed by the delightful treats at Sugar Cube Corner; and they learned a great deal of Agriculture processes from Sweet Apple Acres.

For a while, Brohorn was enjoying the laid back lifestyle he now had in Ponyville. Free from his duties issued by the Captain of his Viking Fleet, Brohorn explored the environment practicing his creativity with both pen and brush. But somehow something was missing. This was exactly what he wanted, but he wasn't quite getting the satisfaction he was expecting.

*sigh* "Everypony else from our fleet is working really hard to contribute to Ponyville, but what can I do? I'm terrible at crafting ornaments and making mead! If only there was a way I could pull my own weight..." said Brohorn in unusually low spirits.

Deep in thought, Brohorn was observing the beautiful roads, buildings and locals of Ponyville. One particular pony that trotted past, piqued Brohorn's interest.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind doing portraits of some Equestrain Ponies. They are so interesting. It would make a nice change of pace to all the landscape paintings i've done. thought Brohorn

Then suddenly it struck him. With the help of some of his Viking Fleet, Brohorn had a small studio built to conduct some business in Ponyville. Brohorn would try his hoof at offering a portrait and poem service on a commission basis. There was a sign outside his studio that read:

Brohorn waited hopefully for any ponies that might want a portrait painted, or a poem written.

This is a thread for any requests you might have me do; namely to draw your Role Play Character and/ or write a poem about them if you so desire. I am not asking for real money, the service is free. I just want to make this clear: Brohorn only accepts imaginary bits as payment! Thank you! :D

This is the Role Playing forum, so I would like you to actually have your character interact with Brohorn when making a request, and not simply request a portrait/poem bluntly. So long as your character interacts with Brohorn, coughs up their imaginary bits and has a detailed character application to reference from; I'd be more than happy to accept.

2. Arualsti

Arualsti ah-roo-al-stee

Starfall slunk dejectedly through the town square. She was desperate for work, but even she thought that 9 bits and a couple of sour lemon drops from Old Mr. Ratchett was poor payment for the trouble of searching for his lost canary. 'Oh well' thought Starfall 'At least my parents will still let me move back in with them if the money runs out. Again.' She sighed and sat on a bench in the town square watching the hustle and bustle of the town square. So many news shops and stalls had been set up recently, mostly from the Viking ponies, selling their curious wares and delicious drinks. She noticed a new shop though. 'Might as well check it out, even if it is only window shopping'

She trotted up to the storefront and read the sign. I could have a poem written about me? She squealed in delight. Starfall had always wanted to immortalised in words, and with the way her business was going, this may be her only chance. She burst through the door excitedly, before she remembered she was still one bit short. 'Hello Sir!' She said nervously to the stallion inside. He certainly did not look like a artsy pony. 'I was wondering if I could get a poem written?' She paused. 'Except, all I have to give you is 9 bits and 2 sour lemon drops. Is that...okay?'

3. Derpadar

Derpadar Blitzkrieg is best invasion tactic.

Electron was yet again late from school, and as every time he was late he loved to take the long way back to his home, he found himself passing through the town and stared at all the new shops assembled around the busy center. Most of them were just general stores, Bakeries, Tailors and Fruit stores, but one of them seemed to grab his attention, it was a small studio by the side, as he inspected this store he noted the prices and portraits everywhere "Interesting..." he thought, he had always imagined immortalizing himself in a portrait, he had school photos for that, but he always looked like he had came out of a swamp. He grabbed a handful of bits and proceeded into the store, when he entered, he could see one of ponyville's more familiar ponies, bargaining with the owner. In her defense, he quickly shouted "Aww... give her a break!" and continued to from a two pony queue.

4. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

A poetry pony? You bet I'm getting Spoony in on this.
    I'll give you a little time to deal with other customers, but consider this advance warning that he'll be wanting both.

5. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Brohorn was a bit nervous, as this was his first time speaking to a mare from Equestria. He was always timid around young mares, and this was especially the case with mares not from his island.

"Ah! A-an Equestrian mare as my first c-customer-"

Brohorn was interrupted by a younger white unicorn with a neatly kept dark blue mane; with shining turquoise eyes.

"Not to worry Master Unicorn!" said Brohorn with a wide smile.

"She is my first customer, so I'll write her poem free of charge. On the other hand, I will have to ask you for your full payment after I am finished with this first customer. A pony has got to make a living yeah?" said Brohorn with a friendly chuckle with a hint of nervousness.

"And here, fare mare. I hope you l-like it." said Brohorn nervously after writing the poem.

"Tell your friends! And have a nice day!" said Brohorn blushing.

Just another quick thing to add. I don't want to give Brohorn too many powers, but this would make things a lot easier. If it is alright, I want to give Brohorn the ability of a psychic (somewhat) when writing poetry. As writing a poem about some random pony would be difficult if you don't even know the first thing about them.

"Sorry for the wait Master Unicorn. Behold, as I now attempt to capture you on paper!" said Brohorn enthusiastically as he started to draw on his paper, holding the pencil with his mouth.
    I know we're supposed to keep the 'out of character' insertions to minimum but I feel it's necessary. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Hi Derpadar! I have completed a quick sketch of 'Electron' (Dawn Springwaters), but I just wanted to ask your opinion before I do a larger full colour version. From your avatar he seems to be wearing some sort of shirt with a cape over it? It's a bit hard to tell from your avatar. If you want me to include his clothes in the portrait, would you mind describing Electron's clothes in detail, or show me a picture of his clothes? But of course, If you're happy with the way it's going so far (without clothes), i'll move onto the full colour version with your permission. Please don't hesitate to let me know of any changes you wish to make. :D

Electron sketch.jpg

Hi Pon4! I read your character application for 'Spoony Ballard' and he seems like a solid character. Thanks for allowing me some breathing space, very gracious of you. Brohorn and Spoony definitely need to collaborate sometime, and I can't wait to do a portrait with an accompanying poem once you stop by the studio. :)

This is harder than I thought it would be. But it sure is fun! thought Brohorn to himself as he worked on Electron's portrait.

If only I had an assistant. That would make things much easier, though I don't know of any ponies that can lend a hand. pondered Brohorn.

6. Arualsti

Arualsti ah-roo-al-stee

Starfall held the paper gently in her hooves, re-reading each word as they sank into her heart 'T-thank you sir' She said, hugging the paper close. To her it was more beautiful than any painting in the world.

Seriously though, that poem is beautiful. You have a real talent with words :D

Blaze_Midnight, Explonova and Pon4 like this.
  7. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

I don't see any reason for it.
    You could say as he's very good at writing poetry (you clearly are, and his special talent probably helps) he's used to observing things about a character and making deductions, expanding on them for artistic license. You could say his extrapolations for the sake of art just so happen to work out, or that he's just cold reading it and the beautiful words sort of mask the fact he's not personally acquainted. You can also say he's been looking around a lot since he got to this new place, and naturally has been observing the locals and their culture. As long as you use both of these to a believable degree I hope it helps justify the detail you might add into your poems and perhaps portraits. But if other characters aren't aware they might not find it so flattering, necessarily. Besides, you can always have a bit of in-character conversation to help. Of course if you want to give freebies that don't depend on in-character knowledge, just OOC it. As long as things don't get too cluttered nobody will mind. Alternatively, post it in either Watercooler or the Art forum and leave notice. It's what they're there for.

8. Derpadar

Electron moved next into line, he stood near the counter, he saw the pegasus skipping out of the store. Obviously she was delighted by what had been done. "Uh-hum.. sorry about that calling out a few seconds ago.... it just seemed like she was in trouble... anyway. Yes! I would love to have a picture!" as he floated his bits above the counter "and..um... a poem too." as Electron nervously continued to sit down and wait for his pictures to be finished, as minutes passed by he attempted to make conversation "so... You definitely look like you don't come around from these parts, hello. I'm Electron, pleasure to meet you, I'm guessing you come from the north-ish? any particular reason you're here in ponyville?" The nervous unicorn asked

(( Hi wiinajamizzi, thanks for the sketch, it looks really good so far and looks much better than anything I could do, of course, if you need more of a picture reference than just my profile, here it is Hiresponyrp.png The hair on your sketch fits perfectly already and the body is great, as for my poem, you can always reference my application, but if you need to, you can start a conversation for more description or if you need a bigger picture (cause I can't work spoilers), don't be afraid to contact me on any ideas! Thanks! P.S other than that, you have my approval and permission to carry on! :D))

9. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Thanks Arualsti! :D

Thanks for the tips Pon4. I'll take your advice and use a combination of observation, deduction and cold reading to justify poems and portraits that entail knowledge that Brohorn shouldn't ordinarily have access to. Alternatively I can press for more information if need be (in character).

10. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"Your calling out was understandable Master Unicorn! I myself would have done the same." said Brohorn fascinated, as he took the once floating bits from the counter.

"Right. The poem and portrait deal huh? No Problem." said Brohorn with a look of concentration a he continued to draw Electron.

"A pleasure meeting you Master Electron, I am known as Brohorn. You are correct, I am not from the Equestrian mainland and I hail from the Viking Islands north east of Equestria. My Viking Fleet and I sailed to venture new lands to expand our knowledge, make trade and establish relations with Equestria. I myself recently set up this studio to meet Equestrian Ponies and earn some bits" replied Brohorn cheerfully.

"And how about yourself? I've heard and seen Unicorns do amazing things with magic. Where I come from, there are only earth ponies, so I am unfamiliar with magic. You look like an intelligent pony, what's your story? Perhaps something you reveal can be included into your poem."

"And... Finished! So what dost thou think of this?" said Brohorn confidently.
    Electron colour.jpg
    *facepalm* upon completing your character's portrait, I forgot to include fetlocks and it didn't occur to me that you would probably be more interested in the quantum rather than chemistry or cosmology... I should have included some atoms or sub-atomic particles in the background, considering his name is Electron after all. Sorry! Also, do I have permission to display this depiction of 'Electron' on my thread in the art forums? (you can respond by conversation if you wish)

11. Finerkill

Finerkill Al. Alice. Al Gore. Big Al. Small Al. Alex. Finer.

Fury was just finishing up work for the day and was about to take off when he thought he might as well have a quick look around town before he took off. The only reason being is that there were new ponies in town, and he was curious to see what wares they had for sale, especially since they weren't from the Mainland. Perusing through the goods he noticed a Poetry and Painting shop. A painting of himself? That might just be a good idea.

Hey, I'm interested in this, but before I ask for anything send me an inbox of when you have the free time to do the picture, I don't want you to go out of your way to do it ;D

12. Derpadar

" Haha, it's great!" Electron replied as he tried to seal a small squee of delight, he started to relax more as soon as the pony started to make conversation again.

" And yes, us unicorns have a affinity for magic, although it is one of the most wasted talents i've ever seen. Most don't bother to learn anything more than simple
    levitation magic... But magic can be so much more than that!" and as those words were spoken Electron's horn sparked and a miniature firework fizzed out.
    Rising to the top of the store and exploding in a flurry of colours. " I known only four people who use magic to a higher extent in the whole of ponyville.
    Then again, I can't blame anyone, it is a really hard skill to master, iv'e also always had a liking to science too, it's just like magic, unpredictable and
    always changing, and in each one of them, there always is a way to improve someone else's life." He turned to the growing used equipment table
    and focused. Soon they were reorganising themselves onto shelves and clean themselves. "Anyway, that's enough be rambling about how
    magic is so great, is there something else you wanted?, oh yeah! my story?"

"Well... to begin with, Electron isn't my real name, everyone just calls me that and I like the sound of it, my real name, if you must know is Dawn
    Skybolt Springwaters, there isn't much to tell but I guess I can tell you what I can, I was born in Canterlot and my father..... my-y father. had to move to the far north
    due to complications with the guard service when I was a still a very young filly and never heard of him again. We had to move to ponyville due to money problems,
    My mother, a famous retired wizard. pushed me on to magic ever since I was showing signs of it and I have been practising magic ever since.
    Sorry I couldn't tell you anything more interesting. Anyway, I hope you have great success on your business!" Electron preceded to sit back on the chair as he
    waited for the Viking pony to do his form of poetry "magic". ((Excellent picture, and im very pleased with it :3 don't worry about the particle thing, its fine and again you have my permission to show it on your art forums!))

Explonova likes this.
  13. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"I'm glad to hear that you approve master Electron." said Brohorn relieved that his portrait was well recieved

After hearing Electron's informative introduction into unicorns and magic, Brohorn was already feeling his mind at work in composing a poem.

"My sympathies go out to you my friend. Keep your head up, and pursue your talents." said Brohorn in response to Electron's past.

Only a few minutes passed and Brohorn completed the poem.

Being moved by Electron's experience, Brohorn took ten bits out of the 25 that were given to him by Electron and pushed them to the other side of the counter along with the poem. "Here is your poem, and i'll also offer you a discount. Please accept it, and use the bits wisely." said Brohorn warmly

"I hope you find this to be satisfactory. Be safe master Unicorn." said Brohorn with a smile.

14. Derpadar

"Why... why thank you." replied Electron as he took off the bits off the desk and carefully examined the poem, only one word popped up in his mind when he read it... "Inspiring....." he echoed. It was time he left his shop, it was getting to late now, but before he left by the door, he shouted "Goodbye and thank you! I hope our paths cross again someday!" and with that he left with a smile on his face and a fire in his heart.

15. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"Nary a problem master Electron! I am glad you feel you got your bit's worth." said Brohorn relieved.

"I am sure we will my friend." responded Brohorn with a warm smile as Electron left the studio.

It had been quite busy already on his first day of business. Brohorn felt exhausted, yet fulfilled. He wondered if any more customers would arrive next.

16. Finerkill

Fury waited patiently for the shopkeeper to finish his work, he was sure he had seen him somewhere before, but couldn't put his finger on it. No matter, he thought, as he approached the Pony. "Ah, I see you are finished!" Fury said as he looked at the shopkeeper, "Would I be able to get a drawing of myself?"

As he pulled out his pouch he looked around at the studio at some of the drawings hung up. "Some of your work is very good, I must say", he turned back to the Shopkeeper.

17. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"Greetings Sir Pegasus! My name is Brohorn. It is as you say, now I am free to offer you my services. Just a portrait today? That will be 20 bits Sir Pegasus." asked Brohorn with keen interest.

In response to Night Fury's compliment, Brohorn replied:
    "Oh hohoh. Thou dost flatter me so."

"Why don't you make yourself comfortable?" asked Brohorn gesturing the guard pony to a seat.
    "Care for a drink? Some honey mead perhaps? Or maybe just some water?" asked Brohorn hospitably.

"While you enjoy your beverage, perhaps you would care to tell me about yourself. Anything you may reveal to me can be incorporated into your portrait." informed Brohorn as he started to make some initial sketches.

18. Finerkill

"Nothing in particular, just draw what you see" Fury replied said as he sat down with his cup of water. He turned to look out the window and watched the passersby, wishing he could get home, take off his armour, and head out for a quick fly around.

19. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

A dapper Earth Pony stood impatiently outside the new establishment that had caught the eye of many passers-by already. The building was quite new, if a little rustic, and stood out quite boldly from the neighbouring businesses. Naturally, the wanderer's curiosity was most highly piqued.

20. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Sorry for the late reply. Here's a design sketch of Night Fury. Let me know if you want any changes before I move to the final version.
    Night Fury w ears.jpg