1. Hey, Guest. You will require a character before you will be able to participate. You can apply for that by clicking here.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Ponyville Portrait & Poetry Pony At Your Service

Discussion in 'Main Roleplay' started by Explonova, 24 August 2012.

1. Finerkill

Finerkill Al. Alice. Al Gore. Big Al. Small Al. Alex. Finer.

That is amazing, its totally fine.

2. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

It's almost completed. I thought I might give you an update. Was planning to finish it tonight but i'm too tired. Just needs some tweaking and highlighting in the armour; then a background and its done. Do I also have your permission to post this in the art forums?

Gouache Night Fury incomplete.jpg

3. Finerkill

Of course, its your art.

Fury took a peek over to the Brohorn, his face was full of concentration while he drew. Fury didn't want to look at the picture, as he was not too sure he was allowed, but he forced himself a peek down towards it. Impressive, he thought to himself, from what little he saw, he could tell Brohorn was very talented.

4. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"Sorry for the wait kind sir. I hope you find my work satisfactory." said Brohorn nervously to Night Fury.
    Night Fury complete.jpg

"Take care, and hopefully we may meet again."said Brohorn with a warm smile.

Sorry it took so long. I had a lot of things on my plate, and I didn't want to rush this.

5. Finerkill

Trust me, I don't mind, you do this in your own spare time and I thank you for that, I don't think anyone would mind how long you take.

Fury looked down at the portrait, carefully picking it up. "This, this is amazing. Thank you so much." Fury smiled at the nervous pony. "It really is amazing." This would be perfect back at home he thought to himself. With that, he nodded to Brohorn and took to the Skies.

6. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"You are most welcome my friend." said Brohorn quietly as Night Fury flew away.

Another happy customer. Things were looking up for Brohorn and his new poetry and portrait business.

After Brohorn had given his workstation a quick clean, he noticed a regal looking pony outside the studio. Another potential customer? thought Brohorn as he smiled at the curious pony.

7. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

After ensuring the last customer had exited the establishment satisfied, Spoony slipped an errant hoof through the doorway and majestically draped an opening for himself, pushing his chest out proudly and raising his head as if all in the studio should bow to him.
    After a beat of tableau the stallions eyes reeled downwards to his audience, and turned them towards the unusual pony standing at the table.

"You, good sir, what fortune smiles on you,
    The Great and Talented Spoony bids today adieu,
    Or is that 'hello'? I occasionally forget,
    But nevertheless your talents I bet,
    Are worthy of depicting the pony henceforth,
    (The one standing in front of you, of course),
    Your rhymes, are they splendour? Your art, is it quaint?
    Can you wax lyrics as well as you paint?
    The finest of both I hereby commission,
    And I shall judge your Callioptian."

In case I never mention it, his dress is generally pseudo-Tudor. I didn't feel like bogging things down with unnecessary description unless it was asked for.
    And yes, intentionally bad rhyming, I swear...!

8. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Brohorn was delighted to see another pony that had talent in poetry. Maybe he would learn a lot from this pony and vise versa.

"Very impressive sir Spoony. A pleasure to meet you." said Brohorn with a large grin

the scent of black ink
    and the soothing sound of glass
    refilling my pen

Brohorn responded in the form of a Haiku

"Not to worry sir Spoony, i'll try my best to capture you in words and in form. For a poem and portrait, that comes to 25 bits." informed Brohorn

With his pen filled with ink, and high expectations from another word smith; Brohorn began to work immediately.

What the heck is Callioptian? (feels dumb). That wasn't bad rhyming at all! I quite liked it! :D

9. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Romero walked past the odd-looking studio. "Portrait and Poerty, huh?" Romero studied the outside of the shop, not looking all to interested (he never really is). He saw the shopkeeper in what looked like a deep conversation with anohter wierd looking pony. Not wanting to interfere, Romero took a couple steps back and began to walk away.

Romero walked outside studio. "Portrait and Poerty, huh?" Romero studied the outside of the shop, not looking all to interested (he never really is). Seeing ponies sell art was not something new to him, but he was used them selling it on busy street corners, arguing prices.

If this guy's got a shop then he must be good. Romero shrugged and looked at the sign again, reading the prices to himself. His frugal nature got the best of him, and muttered. "Oh my goodness!" Romero shook his head in disgust. He just got done mowing some mare's yard, and didn't feel like spending his hard-earned bits. Let's see, this guy wants 25 bits for a poem and a portrait. I just earned 27 bits, and I worked WAY too hard to break even today. But, If this guy is as good as I think he is, it might be worth it. Romero was lost in thought, when he noticed the shopkeeper in what looked like a deep conversation with another all-together odd looking pony. Not wanting to interfere, Romero took a couple steps back. Still doing the math in his head.

10. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

"Here you are sir, I hope that you find it satisfactory." said Brohorn slightly nervous. He had hoped that Spoony wouldn't be critical being a poet as well.

"And now to begin with the portrait!" said Brohorn as he reached into his draw for his art supplies.​
    I'll be sure to get a quick concept sketch done by tonight to show you. Sorry it took a while, but i'm finally on holidays, so I can get more stuff done.

What...?:confused: Why even bother leaving a comment? There were only five very short sentences, (including Romero's line) with just as many misspelt words and grammatical errors. Try to be more creative with your descriptions rather than simply "odd-looking" and "wierd looking".
    tell us what about the studio that is odd, or why you think the pony is weird looking. Adjectives are your friend!;)

If you and/or your character aren't interested, why bother posting at all? At least put a bit more effort, and try to post something with a little more substance please.

11. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Normally I proofread before I comment. This time it must of slipped my mind, and I apologize for that. Also, I merely stated that He didn't LOOK interested, not that he wasn't. I obviously didn't state that clearly enough, and should have elaborated. I'll edit the post and put the origanal under a spolier.

12. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Hi Pon4! Here's the concept sketch I did of Spoony Ballard. Any suggestions or flaws you'd like to point out before moving onto the final? I was thinking of using charcoal for this one.

tudor.jpg
    Oh okay. We all make mistakes especially when it comes to typos. No hard feelings yeah? :D

Blaze_Midnight likes this.
  13. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

Ack I forgot to write a response to this thread! My alerts are messing about it seems. Not good.
    I'm not sure how I feel about the beard. It's very appropriate but I didn't ever have it in mind. That said its not like the chap is in a habit of being static in appearance anyway so whatever happens it's all pretty much exactly how I imagined and please go ahead and try whatever feels right! I'll do a proper IC post when I'm more awake.

14. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

Deciding that the beautiful weather was worth taking advantage of Cascade decided that both her and Mdnight should go and see what was happening in Ponyville. With all the new ponies from outside of Equestria opening shops, she was interested in exploring and checking it all out. After spending the night sleeping on a cloud she decided that she would spend the rest of the day as a pegasus, she also thought it would help with not spooking the new residents of Ponyville because of a dragon coming to town.

"Come on Midnight, I dragged you out of bed once don't make me have to drag to town"

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Geez your really cheerful today, all the things happening around Ponyville must really have peaked your curiosity"

Cascade carried on her flight towards town with Midnight in tow. Lost in her own little world, she was imagining all the various things that could happening that neither her nor Midnight saw in their travels over the past few years.

A few minutes later they both landed and started to walk and explore the various new places that had appeared. While Midnight was looking amoung a market stall that sold various types of food and drink. Cascades eyes were drawn to one particular place that she had seen a couple of very pleased ponies walk out of carring bits of paper and what looked like paintings. Curiosity got the better of her though and she went for a closer look at the notice that was in the window.

"Portrait and Poetry pony?"

She turned and darted back towards Midnight who was on his way to the next stall.

"Hey Midnight. Come with me and have a look in this shop"

"Later. I'm having a look around the market."

She stopped just behind him.

"Nope, now"

She quickly grabbed his tail in her mouth and started to drag him towards the shop. Ignoring his protests against being dragged through town and the ponies that were giving them both strange looks, they eventually got to the shop and in her eagerness she pushed her way through the door. As her eyes got used to the quick change in light she was in awe of the beautiful artwork of various ponies that lined the walls. Completely forgetting she still had Midnights tail in her mouth.

I had so many ways that I wanted to get something like this down... and this was the shortest way XD. Keep up with the fantastic artwork and poems Wiinajamizzi

15. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

Spoony recoiled a-gape. This strange stallion was indeed... adequate. Indeed, perhaps, proficient! Indeed the kind words of the fellow bard stroked his ego politely and appropriately, and most likely helped a great deal to benefit his opinions. Of course his fine headwear had much to do with the matter as well.

"My good stallion, your verse is profound,
    Quite pleasing it is to harken your sound,
    Your lyrics are prudent and recital is merry,
    And establishment smells quite quaintly of cherry,
    But enough about scenting and more to the point,
    A fine new artiste this pony I annoint.
    Let all among ponyfolk know how I sway:
    Brohorn the Vikingpony has my thanks this day!"

He made a great show of bowing to his commissionee to the few ponies that were actually able to see him. He awaited the clapping of hooves to this most generous act, and when little reached his ears his own hooves seemed to rise to fill the silence of their own volition. Spoony's expression turned to a look of almost smarmy satisfaction, warmed by his own ego at the great service he had done for the poor immigrant pony.
    He soon snapped back to locking gaze with stallion, a spark of fire alighting in them as he did so, and wrapped a hoof around his neck, reeling himself a little closer as his hoof pointed at the stallion's chest.
    He grinned.

"Now, approval you seek? Ah, that's a challenge.
    Certainly something I expect you to manage.
    Fine though you are in the art of fine wordship,
    To find yourself equal will take more than a loose lip,
    The gauntlet I throw upon you, sir bard,
    And outside I bid you, to your establishment's yard.
    A poetry contest, in a manner, a battle,
    And together we may just entertain these cattle..."

Spoony abruptly paused his waxing for a moment to poke his head through the nearby entrance to one of the local cattle enjoying their day in town, to whom he referred.

"No offence, madam, forgive careless chatter,
    I mean it literally, not like unpleasant natter."

"None taken," she replied casually through a mouthful of cud, before turning back to her friends.

He tipped his hat to the lady and slid back inside the establishment, clearing his throat before slipping back into his manic rhythm, now idly strumming a frantic accompaniment.

"Yes, a battle, one I hope you'll attend,
    And a fine lyricism to nearby ears we will lend!
    Though a friendly test I hereby extend,
    Your best efforts I do hope you'll send,
    and by following through I hope you ascend,
    and a listing of heroes I hope to amend!"

His rhymes were verging on the nonsensical with excitement at this point, his eyes fixing more intensely upon his prospective opponent as he did so, working to a finishing flourish.

Agh, apologies, really haven't been feeling rhyme-y so it's been difficult to respond. Hope you find this fun to work with though.
    By the way, Callioption isn't a word, if I didn't already mention that. It was a silly play on "Calliope" the goddess of epics. Unless I have my Greek mythology wrong. In which case it just makes no sense. In which case that's even more appropriate.

16. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Got ninja'd.... I suppose there's a first for everything! Our posts were like two ships passing in the night... Sorry If I put you off :p . Blaze Midnight said that they didn't mind waiting, but perhaps I should just ask again if its alright if we do our 'battle' first.

Oh and sure you can use the portrait for your character page. It should be fixed soon, i'll let you know in a PM as soon as I do. But if you're happy with the way it is now, you can go ahead also. Its probably not gonna change that much anyway.

Ack! I feel rotten! I forgot to ask your permission before posting it in the art section! Well you said it was okay, so no harm no foul... I suppose i'll just put in a little disclaimer in my first post stating something along the lines of:

"By submitting a request for a poem and/or portrait on this thread, you automatically give permission for me 'Wiinajamizzi' to post it in the Art section of UKofE, Bronies Australia and/or deviantart. Of course you will be cited as the owner of the original character."

"I pray you are happy with my portrait of you sir Spoony Bard." said Brohorn nervously as he pushed the paper over the counter.
    Spoony.jpg
    Hmmm looks a bit dodgy and over smudged in areas. Might fix it and re-upload later.

After receiving the portrait and the poem, Brohorn was graced by words of flattery by Spoony's flowing poetry.

"You are too kind sir Spoony! A battle you say? I'd love a chance to sharpen my wit against a rival wordsmith of your caliber. And let it be known that a Viking Pony shalt never turn down a friendly challenge." said Brohorn eagerly with a hint of nervousness.
    "I accept your challenge! That is, if there are no more portrait or poetry requests for the moment."

"Also, are there any rules that I should know of? Are restricted to a certain amount of lines for example?" asked Brohorn enthusiastically.

#36 Explonova, 1 October 2012
    Last edited: 1 October 2012
    Blaze_Midnight and Pon4 like this.
  17. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

That's gorgeous. Thank you so much. I think I'll make that his character reference on the entry, if you're okay with that. Unless you want to rescan it later, in which case I'll wait. Obviously I'm okay with you putting it on your art thread.
    Won't respond in-character yet as your post knocked my response out of whack a little. If you want to address Blaze's situation first or instead just pretend he was talking to himself either partly or entirely.

18. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

I don't Mind waiting. I ended my bit with Cascade being amazed by the artwork and just standing there in awe with Midnights tail in her mouth from dragging him. Both yourself and Pon4 carry on with your bit, they can wait like that a bit.

19. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

Ack, what a mess. By which I mean all these open spoiler tags. Watch 'em!
    Pick what you'd like to do, I'll hardly begrudge the comedy of you ignoring him.

20. Spy!

Spy! Especially Khaotic Krew Member

Bramble was merrily skipping a long the road, she paused for a moment reading a new sign she had not seen before. "Portraits and poems, oh wow! What a lovely idea." Bramble said aloud. She then thought to herself Why I could even put the portait on my market stall, not only would that make the other vendors jealous, but I could advertise what a wonderful painter we have herein Ponyville!
    Deciding on the spur of the moment decision, she found Brohorn and asked very politely. "Why hello! May I have one of your poems and portraits please... Also have we met someplace before?"