1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Chat Post BUCK Decompression Thread

Discussion in 'BUCK Convention Discussion' started by chocolatechip, 10 April 2016.

1. chocolatechip

chocolatechip Lord of the chips

Now it's over, the last dance has been had, and the curtain has fallen. Now those who congregated in joy may feel confused and disoriented now the party is over.

This chat is for those who just want to compress, discuss their time, and just unwind.

My first question:
    Whats the coolest thing you bought? I managed to get an epic Nightmare Moon framed picture.

#1 chocolatechip, 10 April 2016
    Last edited: 10 April 2016
  2. Titan295

Titan295 Active Pony

Ican feel the sadness growing inside me. I made sure to buy plenty of stuff, i got a challenge coin, more prints than i can fit on my walls, two shirts and a poster signed by OMNI, Silva Hound and Acoustic Brony/Re:make i made sure to get a picture with Britannia too!

3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Well The only thing I got was a Rarity investigates poster so it will have to be that haha.
    @chocolatechip did you get the Poster of Nightmare moons eyes with her reflection in?, I saw that and it looked really awesome

4. chocolatechip

no. it was the one done in the burtonesque style. that sounds awesome tho.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  5. Gyroprodius

Gyroprodius Actually Supernothing.

Waiting for my final connection at the moment and feeling both content and a little sad it's all over. I'd have loved to experience it again but alas.

I tend to be rather guarded with my dosh so I'm happy with the SSC tee I obtained.

6. chocolatechip

sadly two items I bought have been lost on my way home. one was a banned from eq daily button (joke gift for a friend) and a set of bioshock infinite badges.

7. Recurrent Trotting

wow :D went to Saturday + Summer Sun and they were fabulous!

General con:
    so much good cosplay :3 well done all you costumed people! you rock. Also to all the plush ponies who were brought along (or bought) by bronies - you plushies rocked too. None more so than the flufflepuff who participated at the Summer Sun :p (I went along to congratulate the owner). While we're at it massive thank you and congrats to the con staff who made this possible! Thaaaank youuuuu :D you're amazing

Intro got me a little worried as it was a little late (it happens) and also more nostalgic than "yay current con" but was good to see Nethesem (I think that's right?)

Vendors hall bought a Rarity poster and Ponytones poster to receive signatures (friggin went and forgot the posters I'd pre-bought). Am glad though as the Rarity poster I bought was greatness (the one with Rarity + Dash in the rain)

Signing! Yay, Nicola wished me a pawsome con, which is greatness as I'm a doglover :D Felt a bit bad for the music guy on the end - I hope he got more signatures after people saw his stuff in the Summer Sun

[Stuff happened... maybe I ate something?]

Panel: MLP in Culture: Was an interesting talk, and I've not come across culture studies for toys. Wonder if there's a way to track down his slides for the info? Even asked a question at the end about Guardians of Harmony

Charity auction this is one of the events that was already familiar from Bronyscot and the auction had a great atmosphere again. Loved the auctioneer guy :D

CCG
    . Was good to talk about the cards I've been obsessing over :p my deck isn't very competitive but I was in more of a friendly mood. Managed to win a game though, so that was nice. Shame about timing :( future official ccgish things at cons need to leave a big buffer to avoid forcing games to end mid way due to losing the space. Not sure if I would CCG again... perhaps it's something that works better at meets... but then I wouldn't be able to geek out about cards at people. Everyone I played with was lovely though! :D thanks for the great games guys

Impromptu visit to vendor's hall again. Impulse buyalicious: "Omg you sell pony mugs" *buys one*. On the other hand I'm incredibly circumspect relative to other bronies I suspect :p

Impromptu background karaoke singalong. Was wondering what to do while having dinner and it turns out that watching / listening and joining in with other fans singing silly fan songs is just about the best thing ever.

Summer Sun. Gah this Discord voiceover was brilliant! Needed something like that in the intro. Shame about initial issues with human/mechanical glitches on first set. All redeemed by the cover of Spectacle :D so good. The next act (*checks program*) Usagi Drop in pinkie cosplay was greatness! Completely lost control dancing to the whole set and loved every minute. Unfortunately was not so into the other acts and kind of wanted a few more pony songs to get into (but I can understand why you wouldn't want to go down that route). Enjoyed the balloons and pony conga lines :D

w-wait there was a forum meet D: totally missed this (been a hectic few days) still I probably panelled (MLP culture) carded, bounced (summer sun) or sang (background karoke) along with some of you

#7 Recurrent Trotting, 10 April 2016
    Last edited: 10 April 2016
  8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yep, but our organisation skills were not up to Twilight standard =p and we learnt how not to organise a meet up lol

9. MattBas

MattBas Well-Known Pony

This was my first con, it was such an amazing experience.
    Now comes the hard part: to get back to our normal lives :p

CrikeyoRilley likes this.
  10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

11. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Hoooooo boy, where to start?

I'm not (quite) a con virgin (I broke my duck with UKPonyCon last year) but my first BUCK - not gonna lie, there were some serious misgivings given that most of the attendees were probably half my age, but ultimately, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Met some old friends (@CrikeyoRilley and numerous others) and some new ones (@Oilyvalves, @Cloudane, @Golden Star and numerous others - if I missed you out,, I apologise), which ultimately is what it's all about.

There was a heavy CCG bias for me - I played in the regional but failed to make the last 16 (no surprise there, although I achieved my objective of winning a couple of games) and had a couple of interesting conversations with @finalsight and some of the other Cambridge folks - nice to meet you all. Also scored a first in the casual CCG tourney by winning a game 15-0 (Night Glider and Spitfire went on the rampage :D ) - the good form continued until I was utterly kerb-stomped by @Servant Phoenix (no real surprise, though, nad it was instructive in a somewhat perverse way ;) )

Charity auction - missed it due to playing in the CCG tourney but I understand that the DJ sculpture I put in went for £65 so I'm pleased with that, and I hope whoever bought her is happy with her.

Schwag - again, heavily skewed towards CCG stuff (finally got myself a playmat and some dice!) although I did buy both of @pinkkittywinks Philomena plushes ('regular' and 'broken' Philomena) - I promise that I'll buy Tibbles once I have a Luna plush :) (and please make Boulder and Boneless :p ). Also commissioned a Night Glider plush (to the surprise of absolutely nobody ;) ) and another one of my OC. Also saw the most amazing conjoined LyBon plush (by Jillah, if memory serves) - the WANT! was doubled, and then some.

Signings - got my Big Mac CCG card signed by Peter New. What a nice guy he is. I did feel a bit for Nicole Martel though - her queue was fairly short, whereas Peter's was threatening to do several laps of the workshop room. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have fancied going to one of the VIP events since PN seems like a pretty cool guy to hang with.

Other stuffs - well done to @I'dLikeToBeATree for winning a medal for her Starlight cosplay, and @loonyllama absolutely knocked it out of the park with her Smooze cosplay (brilliantly done, and a deserving overall winner). There was a guy there cosplaying Cheese Sandwich in his 'pony with no name' guise which was absolutely brilliant (and what my Cheese cosplay looks like in my head ;) )

SSC - didn't really do it for me. There's not a whole lot of intersection between my musical tastes and that of the usual fandom output; I debated whether to turn up at all but worked on the principle that I might as well since I'd paid for it. It was ... OK. The sound quality varied between mediocre and terrible, and ultimately a bunch of us ended up sitting in the 'art corner' watching various fandom videos and doing interesting things with googly eyes.

Overall?

ALL GLORY TO TEAM SHAUN! (you had to be there :p )

#11 Irregular Apocalypse, 10 April 2016
    Last edited: 11 April 2016
  12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Apparently it made no sense even to half the folk that were there - Mum was asking every other attendee to explain it to us on the way out and only one guy had half a clue!

13. Irregular Apocalypse

Oh, nice to meet you, too ...

Cendaquenta likes this.
  14. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Im'a gonna double post, because... Apples!

Well that's it. It's been brilliant, such a bloody great bunch of caring, classy and genuinely nice people. It's been a joy leaving the emotional life of Matt behind for a few days and being Crikey once again. Hell might work a few extra shifts to to go to Gala con, Ponycon and Bronyscot :D. Those fursuits and general cosplay were brilliant, glad to see some forum members recognised for their great costumes.
    Finishing the night classy with Burgs and Wine. Later taters. <3

#AlsoHaveToUnderstandTheSeanThing2016

15. Irregular Apocalypse

Congratulations, it's a bouncing baby meme :p

16. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

The Shaun thing was officially explained in the Premier West after con gathering. It's far too late to try and explain my understanding at this time though. Maybe someone else fancies a try :p

17. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

My life as the hip kid meme machine is in tatters after missing on this popular one.
    #MuchConfuseWOW

Cloudane likes this.
  18. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

From what I got from this random guy, it was a reference to that one video game where the character keeps yelling "SHAUN", and then at BUCK one of the staff was actually named Shaun so it latched on to him? I don't know if that's the real explanation or just a best guess though.

19. A Newcomer

A Newcomer A Shadowbolt's reputation never dies.

I managed to get autographs from both Peter New and Shawn Wasabi.

Truly sad that it's the last BUCK that the team's doing, but that doesn't mean the convention's dead.

Instead, Britannia's just going to go into hibernation, waiting for the day that someone else takes over for the former BUCK team. And when that day comes, we shall all rejoice...

20. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

One of the crew's name is Shaun and he was going around introducing himself in the Wetherspoons in a fairly normal way (Hi I'm Shaun), then his friend introduced herself as Shaun because they're close friends and it sort of snowballed from that... I think.... but that might be a derped retelling. But have now met the guilty individuals :p it was told straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak