1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Post-Series Finale Rewatch - Season 6

Discussion in 'MLP: Re-Living the Journey' started by Bridle Timeout, 1 April 2020.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Reunited by Dragonfoxgirl
    I don't know if anyone is still paying attention to these threads, but here we roll on with Season 6. :p

I've been particularly interested in re-watching this season, because it got a bit of a lukewarm reception from me at the time. You might also recall that I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of reformed Starlight at the time, so I'm curious how these episodes will fare this time around with the benefit of hindsight. :)

For reference, here are the episode names and numbers for Season 6:
    E1 & 2 - The Crystalling, parts 1 & 2
    E3 - The Gift of the Maud Pie
    E4 - On Your Marks
    E5 - Gauntlet of Fire
    E6 - No Second Prances
    E7 - Newbie Dash
    E8 - A Hearth's Warming Tail
    E9 - The Saddle Row Review
    E10 - Applejack's "Day" Off
    E11 - Flutter Brutter
    E12 - Spice Up Your Life
    E13 - Stranger Than Fan Fiction
    E14 - The Cart Before the Ponies
    E15 - 28 Pranks Later
    E16 - The Times They Are A Changeling
    E17 - Dungeons & Discords
    E18 - Buckball Season
    E19 - The Fault in Our Cutie Marks
    E20 - Viva Las Pegasus
    E21 - Every Little Thing She Does
    E22 - P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View)
    E23 - Where the Apple Lies
    E24 - Top Bolt
    E25 & 26 - To Where and Back Again, parts 1 & 2

2. NJW

NJW Habitual Pony

Thank you Bridle Timeout. I'm interested to re-watch season 6 too, I seem to have watched 1 - 5 a few times over and never got beyond that. Sorry I feel as I have re-started this re-watch thread and haven't participated much... Nice artwork of Starlight and Sunburst by the way!

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  3. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

just rewatched the crystalling.

My first impression of the ep was pretty positive. I will highlight bits I still agree with in green and what I disagree with in red
    on the rewatch the auntie Twi bit was great. I had actually forgotten that about the teacher letting the student grow point but once I re-read that I definitely still agree. About that though - my fave thing this time was Starlight herself and her taking the first hoof-step on her journey with Sunburst. Also pig-tails :3v Still agree that OP baby is silly and there should have been a song though.

My mane disagreement with my past abrony-mouse self (I changed my name) is that the lore and character of Starburst were fine this time. I actually thought he complemented Starlight well. Now I am more familiar with Starlight the sorcerer it makes sense to have Starburst the lore-master with legendary spell learning. Also he didn't exactly excuse Starlight - he understood that she was Twi's protege/student now and also knew the bitterness she felt when she felt she was not living up to her potential. I thought the Mane 6 were fine in the background and had a number of lovely brief and not so brief cameos. They reprised their roles from previous seasons with Twi scouring the library, Pinkie + baby, Flutters failing to distract ponies, AJ and Dash guarding the heart. Also Cadey and Shining being frazzled.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  4. Recurrent Trotting

Gift of the Maud Pie next. What did I have to say in 2016?

Not much as it turns out :p I laughed a lot on the rewatch. Nothing exactly stood out but it was just giggly all the way through. Trying to get the perfect gift is relatably stressful and Maud is deliciously frustrating. The visual ponifying gags with Manehatten were fun and the gold tooth stallion definitely reminded me of Hoffman's character in Midnight Cowboy. Pinkie and Rarity are the most fun as characters.

Something I didn't pick up on in 2016 was just how sweet the sisterly vibe was :3 Maud echoing Pinkie's characteristics and knowing just how much the cannon meant to her were definite 'aww' moments.

5. Recurrent Trotting

On your marks next. What did I say in 2016?
    agree with my past self completely about the ep. The growing maturity of the CMCs was great - it is tough to pull off progression without losing character. The meta-ness of the Bulk Biceps comments :p It was solid CMCs but not in the classic ep territory. I liked Tender Taps a bit more on the rewatch too. I noticed at the end Tender was showing off his flank and Sea Swirl and Sassaflash give him a dirty look :p

Ok now for Guantlet of Fire

agree with myself again. It still ranks among my fave spike eps - I remember these getting a lot better after seasons 1-5. Spike is best assistant.

Tsundere Princess Ember has grown a great deal on me over the subsequent eps. The VAing is spot on and I like her design too. She strikes the balance between being pony enough to be likeable and dragon enough to have a bit of edge. Also the first dragon to receive Garble's hug is great :3

6. Recurrent Trotting

No second prances now. Back to green/red for agree/disagree.

Largely agree with myself back in 2016. This was a fun ep with some good Trixie moments. One thing I appreciated more this time, and which makes it a bit better than a 6.5 I gave it, is the Starlight Trixie dynamic. I love both their voices and the way they play off each other. Their eps are some of the best in the following seasons.

Twi definitely does still feel wrong in this ep. Classic problem with some of the later season eps when writers come in and use the well established characters like Twi and the character feels off. Tough thing to capture the chars I suppose. Worst bit for me on the rewatch was when she ignored Starlight tearfully galloping away only to recommend Cranky. Disagree with myself that the lesson repeated the premiere - it wasn't just about giving Starlight space but about giving Starlight a genuine second prance ( :D ).

7. Recurrent Trotting

ep 7 Newbie Dash.
    interesting to read through my old review. In hindsight this ep was the "beginning of the end" ep, hence the emotional reaction to it, as it brought one of the Mane 6 to her conclusion. Ofc I didn't know then that there would be 2 more seasons and seeing it now I don't really get that feeling. That General Mumble song though... so many memories.

I remember the impressions of the Mane 6 though :p so cringey that I still can only watch them through my fingers

8. Recurrent Trotting

ep 8 - Hearthwarming eve
    totally agree with myself back in 2016 on the rewatch - this is one of the few eps that I have kept up with because I listened to MLP songs consistently over the years. Watching the full ep is even better than listening. Ingram and Vogel mainly producing all those songs though D: they are amazing.

9. Recurrent Trotting

Heh Stranger than fan fiction :p

agree with myself still. The call-outs were great in this ep. Also the Caballeron accent :D His VA (Michael Dobson) must have had a grin at being called out on the accent...