1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Post Something About Your Day Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Takoto, 18 May 2012.

1. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I say!:oops: There's rules about posting saucy stuff like that on here! :D

Somerset Cider likes this.
  2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Got back results from PPA test at work am a DC Dominating creative personality lol

3. Mare Serenitis

Mare Serenitis Night time is the right time.

Hello Luna.
    Didn't think I'd make it, did you?
    [​IMG]

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Just a silly electronics repair textwall...

One fateful day a couple of Preston meets ago, the screen on a beloved Yoga tablet which I'd owned for like a week or two broke while sitting innocently in my bag. "Only" a £99 tablet, but annoying, for someone who doesn't come across £99 easily these days.

Sent it away to like Germany for free evaluation, "sure we can replace the screen, it'd cost you £120", and with some wrangling eventually got it back unrepaired.

With the assistance of a hair dryer and an "iSesame" (the same thing Big Clive uses to break into dodgy PSUs) I eventually got the thing apart and was confident enough to order a £25 replacement screen from Aliexpress, though I was expecting cloned rubbish.

Today it turned up and was as far as I can tell (including general quality and brightness) a genuine part. The same one sold in the UK for about £70. Thumbs up random Chinese vendor so far. Dry fitted it and... no touch. Applied pressure around the edges, touch. Let go, no touch. Wiggled and refitted the ribbon connector, touch. Felt that I'd found a sweet spot, spent half an hour installing some new double-sided sticky tape (random stuff), pressed the screen down, powered up... no touch. Also the adhesive wasn't holding very well at all. ARGH!

Repeat wiggling and touch / no touch etc, unable to get it working reliably, then eventually stopped working completely. It very nearly became a defenestrated projectile, and I stormed off to the pub to drink angrily. Complained to the vendor, suspecting it was faulty goods rather than ham fisted installation (I'm very careful)

Returned and got a bit more "hands on" with it, it worked for a sec. Then stopped. Curiously, though I suspected a dodgy ribbon, wiggling it about didn't seem to help.
    Then I saw the touch digitiser uses a layered membrane of contacts a bit like in a membrane keyboard. Hmmmmm. Press down and rub firmly (ooer) over the contact area, making sure everything's aligned. Test. Works! Remove, retest, works. Remove, retest, works. Stick down with insulting tape as reinforcement, retest, works. I'll be darned.

Used sticker removal stuff followed by IPA to remove all residue, dry tested again, works, ordered some proper adhesive tape specifically marketed towards LCD repairs for £5 off Amazon, it'll be here tomorrow.

Talk about hard work, spent all evening on this.... hardly seems worth it, but when I spent £99 on a device only to break it a couple of weeks later I don't like to see it go to waste. Fingers crossed when I put the adhesive on tomorrow, this one being much stronger, the digitiser still works :p

janglehooves and MCtoastie like this.
  5. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Forty years to the day, what better way to spend an evening than watching the original theatrical version of Star Wars?

Cendaquenta and Bexy164 like this.
  6. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Played Frozen Free Fall Snowball Fight, since I like the game, decided to buy Elsa and Olaf for multiplayer mode as a thank you to Disney for this game. Right now watching the original Star Wars on DVD because it turns 40...

...haha, we're thinking alike. Though I don't think the DVD I have is the original version.

Parthidens likes this.
  7. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

With it being a bank holiday weekend, our manager has decided that we're finishing early and going down to pizza express for a late lunch.

8. Snowyshy

Trying to explain gaming journalism and community to mom.

At the table, mom was going through mail, and I got a reminder to renew my Game Informer subscription. Usually the magazine gets renewed because I get it with GameStop Power Up Rewards Pro, which I renew every year as there are usually good deals on games thanks to it. I explain to mom I usually just peek in it for some news, and to see upcoming games, and I really don't care much for games journalism in general (not to mention seeing my favorite games get bashed, gives me more reason not to care for it).

I also went into her how the community can be towards those who like games. While talking, Frozen Free Fall was opened on her iPad as she was playing that, so I used that game as an example along with Steam. I told her back when Frozen Free Fall Snowball Fight was released to Steam, people did not want the game on Steam at all. She pretty much says "They know they don't have to play or buy it". I had to explain, while that's true, they still get annoyed as a game that was originally on iPad, people on Steam do not want games like this on their "precious Steam", and they get mad over it despite similar games like Bejewelled are on Steam. I also go into the details that they hate in-game item purchases, even though they don't have to pay for anything (I've been playing Frozen Free Fall Snowball Fight on Steam, and not once paid for any single use item. Though I did buy two multiplayer characters as I plan to play the multiplayer mode with my nephew, and I know he won't want to play as Anna or Elsa. :p)

So yeah, kind of explained how gaming journalism and community can be to mom. Kind of stinks, especially the community part since some people tend to think for themselves for gaming. Me personally, I have no problem with casual games on Steam. If anything, it makes it more accessible to those who may not have an iPad or similar device. I love playing Frozen Free Fall Snowball Fight being a Frozen fan, and thanks to Steam, I can do that without shelling out money for a tablet.

That was something about my day.

9. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Went to an election hustings event locally. Very interesting to see and hear the candidates and their arguments in the flesh, and was certainly a lively audience. It might just be wish fulfilment, but the one I'm now leaning most towards is the same one as I was before tonight. It was definitely refreshing, though, to see that all of the candidates came across as decent and honourable people, so however my area eventually votes, our representative will be someone who cares.

Another couple of weeks and this'll all be over.

10. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Apparently a bunch of town council workers are dressing up in Victorian clothes and pushing a piano up the hill...

Parthidens and Bexy164 like this.
  11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Ok...its nice to see tax players money put to good use =p

12. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

13. Snowyshy

Started reading a book with a little blue buddy today...
    0605171940.jpg
    I originally wanted to see this movie, but then moving got in the way. So I decided to pick up the book awhile back, and started reading tonight.

abrony-mouse and MCtoastie like this.
  14. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse (not) Flawless

bad thing is
    [​IMG]
    good thing is suddenly I have time for
    [​IMG]
    :p

screw laptop screen it can stay broken (can still use it with other monitor - just not on bed/constantly)

15. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Put up my new shelf I made yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    My desk looks tidier now.

16. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

Been up in the lake District doing some walking. Walked up Scafell Pike today, which was challenging but the views from the top were worth the climb.

I also received my provisional degree classification which I'm quite pleased about!

17. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Went into the college I'll be starting at, to have a short meeting with their Equality and Inclusion department (learning support, basically). Think it was quite a productive wee talk. Feeling pretty positive about going there. :)

18. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Got a job interview next week at Know How.

DerpyWhooves and Parthidens like this.
  19. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

High pollen count. Do not want.