1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Quasi-Regular York/Leeds/Yorkshire meets

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Irregular Apocalypse, 30 October 2015.

1. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

This is something that was talked about at the Leeds FG meet on Monday ... whilst there are occasional 'one off' meets (like the Christmas Market meet in December) there no longer appears to be anything regular going on up here.

Mindful of the fact that Yorkshire as a whole is a bit, erm, big a couple of plans were mooted:
    • Have meets alternating between different locations - York, Leeds and Sheffield were the ones that sprang immediately to mind as they're relatively easy to get to by train. Personally, I'd not consider York particularly suitable for a meet since there's not really much to do.
    • Have meets in Leeds - again, easy to get to by train or bus and there's a good selection of pubs and geek/nerd/comic shops. If there were to be a single location for meets, Leeds would likely get my vote.
    • Alternate between locations - eg. have a meet in York, the next one in Leeds, the one after that in Sheffield etc. Obviously concensus would need to be reached.
    I'm putting this out there to see what the level of interest is, if any - it's unlikely that anything 'formal' will happen before the December market meet largely because the other man with a plan (@anthony rothstein) is going to be a bit busy with BronyScot-related things over the next few weeks :p

Suggestions etc. are welcome.

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  2. anthony rothstein

I think having regular meets in Leeds more regularly would be the best option, but it would certainly be nice involving other locations in Yorkshire.

Maybe have something like:
    For every 2 Leeds meets, we have 1 York meet and 1 alternative place in Yorkshire meet. I think having the extra place that changes would be nice as it gives us chance to explore and keeps things different, but at the same time gives us the stable regular meets in Leeds.

Not sure on frequency. Maybe once a month and have the alternative place as an extra meet, same month but not same weekend of course.

Example
    December - Leeds
    January - York
    February - Leeds
    March - Leeds & Bradford
    April - York
    May - Leeds
    June - Leeds
    July - Leeds & Sheffield
    August - York
    September - Leeds
    October - Leeds & Huddersfield
    November - York
    December - Leeds

Only issue with that I guess is the infrequency of alternative places. We'd only cover 3 a year. Maybe exchange a Leeds or two for more alternative places.

#2 anthony rothstein, 30 October 2015
    Last edited: 30 October 2015
  3. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

I've just moved to Sheffield and the lack of pony meets up here is killing me, so I'm all for this! Alternating between cities would also give a chance for people to visit different places, so that sounds like a good idea.

4. Irregular Apocalypse

I'd suggest that the 'big three' locations would be Leeds, York and Sheffield since they're relatively easy to get to for most people - certainly it would seem that there are quite a few people in or near Leeds and Sheffield; as far as I know the York contingent consists of ... me. Personally, I have no problem with travelling to Leeds as there's a very frequent bus service from the village where I live, and it's half the cost of the equivalent train ticket.

I don't mind travelling to 'other' places either, such as Huddersfield or Bradford, but they'd be rather more reliant on someone with local knowledge to help scope out suitable venues etc. - if someone is prepared to step up and do that at the appropriate time then that's great, as it'll be nice to mix things up a bit.

handy443 likes this.
  5. Irregular Apocalypse

I should have posted this sooner, but it has been an 'interesting' couple of days to say the least.

There was an 'impromptu' meet last Sunday which was enough to make me think that getting together in York could actually be viable providing we steer clear of race days. Fortunately, this is easily done, since the race schedules are published fairly well in advance. The sequence of events was fairly predictable, to whit:
    • Meet up somewhere - in this case the York Tap at the station. Since people were arriving by train this was a logical choice.
    • Partake of a beverage or two.
    • Go for a wander round town - visit geek/nerd shops. We're a bit lacking in these although it turns out that the 'new' games shop (OG Games) has a downstairs bit so it's not quite as small as it appears from the street. There's also Travelling Man and a semi-decent branch of Waterstones.
    • Partake of food and/or more beverages (most folks had eaten, but next time we can do something more organised food-wise - we're not short of eateries)
    • Play assorted games if you fancy it - f'rinstance I usually have at least one CCG deck with me and plan to buy myself a portable mahjong set too.
    We got together at around 2pm and things were winding down by around 8ish (people had trains/buses etc. to catch) - all in all a promising start.

I think there's potential for firming up plans etc. at the December Leeds meet but I think that York in January and maybe Sheffield in February would be a good start - if nobody is able to coordinate a Sheffield meet then we could just do Leeds instead.

handy443 likes this.
  6. alexatkin

alexatkin Recognised Pony

I badly want meets in Sheffield as I recently did PonyCon, a Nottingham meet and a Leeds meet, the train fares alone are quickly adding up.

If it alternated between Leeds and Sheffield it would at least guarantee I could afford to attend one of them, potentially both, while still trying to slot Nottingham in there as I think mixing it up between different groups is really refreshing.

Plus I get travel anxiety and chronic fatique, so Sheffield would be very low stress as I know I can always cycle down in 15 minutes compared to taking hours anywhere else. Although admittedly, our selection of Pony merchandise sucks compared to Leeds.

I do like the idea of York too, but its nearly double on the Train than Leeds so would have be done sparingly.

#6 alexatkin, 8 November 2015
    Last edited: 8 November 2015
  7. Irregular Apocalypse

I'm in the same position with regards to Sheffield - it costs me £8 to get to Leeds on the bus (half the cost of the train :eek: ) which is a journey I do a fair bit, whereas it's £25 on the train to Sheffield which is doable but not something I'd fancy on a regular basis (and may involve changing trains in Doncaster .. *shudder*)

Personally, I'm happy for the 'default' location to be Leeds because it's easy to get to from pretty much anywhere in Yorkshire - other locations could be done every 3 months or if there's something going on that might interest people eg. if a meet is scheduled for Leeds but there's HypotheticalKickAssPonyFest taking place in Sheffield then it'd make more sense to meet up in Sheffield if people want that. You get the idea.

8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I don't know if I could attend every one of them or anything, but I live close to Leeds City Centre, so it would be easy for me to attend meets located there. York and Sheffield wouldn't be too much of a problem for me as an occasional thing either. :)

handy443 likes this.
  9. Irregular Apocalypse

Attendance is not compulsory ;)
    I suspect that things will be discussed in rather more detail at the meet-up in December.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing is set in stone in terms of where/when although for purely selfish reasons I'd like a meet-up in York in February (birtheversary, and all that) :D

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  10. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Hmm... My birthday is also in February... I also became a brony in February 2013.

We have to do it now. :p

11. Irregular Apocalypse

Time for a new word: bronybirtheversary! Pinkie would approve ...

February's meet will take place in a layby on the A64 just outside Tadcaster on account of being midway between York and Leeds :p

(not really ...)

12. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

I'f love to but unfortunately it's just a touch too far away for me :(

13. Irregular Apocalypse

Since this has bubbled up, howsabout sorting something out for the end of January?
    Ideally, all of this flooding shenanigans (in York and Leeds) should have sorted itself out by then.

Open Book likes this.
  14. Briggz

Briggz New Pony

Just got in to the forum :D, im fine with Both York and Leeds or Sheffield i think
    I am in Huddersfield, and ill leave a post here to check up on these meets schedule :D

CrikeyoRilley likes this.
  15. Colt Fury

Colt Fury New Pony

16. Irregular Apocalypse

There could be if there's enough interest - so far there hasn't been, which is why it's been a bit quiet.

Despite living in York, Leeds is my preferred location - York is certainly doable but there's not a lot going on outside of the usual touristy things.

Colt Fury likes this.
  17. Colt Fury

Colt Fury New Pony

OK, thanks -- anything I can do to drum up interest? Friendship Games is showing at the Vue in Kirkstall in Leeds and there's a bowling alley next door...

18. Colt Fury

Colt Fury New Pony

Any pony want to join me and @Briggz for the latest Equestria Girls movie tomorrow (Sat 23rd)? Vue Leeds Kirkstall Road 10.30 a.m., tickets £1.99 ;-)

19. anthony rothstein

@Colt Fury Oh, damn! Wish I hadn't missed that now!

I am wondering, if anyone might be interested in meeting up in Leeds this weekend? I know it's a little short notice! But I do need to collect that sweet sweet Cadance from @Irregular Apocalypse !
    If not, i'm sure we can arrange something for the early February if not.

Also on the note of February, I am running the 3rd Big Geek Meet on Saturday 20th February. More info can be found on the Anime League forums thread.
    http://www.animeleague.net/forum/showthread.php?104135-Leeds-Big-Geek-Meet-No-3-20th-February-2016
    Everyones welcome to join!

Colt Fury likes this.
  20. Irregular Apocalypse

Yes ... yes you do. It's the weekend after pay-day so there's no reason why not.
    Either day works for me, but Saturday is better because the bus times are a bit more favourable.

I think I might be up for that - not been to the Royal Armouries for ages
    If you've never been, I can recommend it even if you aren't massively interested in warfare and the like - it's not your typical museum. Is the Japanese exhibit still there?

#20 Irregular Apocalypse, 26 January 2016
    Last edited: 26 January 2016