1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Rate the last film you've watched

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by finalsight, 24 September 2012.

1. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Every other forum i've been on has always had some form of this thread, so why not this one.

Pretty simple: tell us about the last film you watched.

The Last Lovecraft: The Relic Cthulhu

An ordinary guy find out that he is the last descendant of HP Lovecraft and it tasked with the responsibility of protecting a relic from evil forces.

Somewhat funny low budget/low talent film. Probably a lot better if you are more familiar with the mythos, as you would get more of the jokes and references.

4/10

2. Gallifreyan_Brony

Gallifreyan_Brony Time Lord

Avengers Assemble:

Not sure if a description is necessary at this point. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America team up against an alien threat that is trying to take over the world...

By all rights nothing about this film should work. It should have ended up a crowded mess. Even some of the more rabid Whedon-ites were prepared to write this one off as a failure. But despite a relatively short production cycle and having too many characters to play with in the span of 2 hours the end result ended up good. Very good in fact. For the most part the characters get around about equal screen time (Except maybe Hawkeye who spends most of the film not himself) and each of them have memorable moments. And most impressively the film isn't just 2 hours of beating the crap out of stuff. In fact a good majority of the film is the build up and having these characters from different films bounce off of each other for the first time on screen.

And when the action does set in it doesn't disappoint. It's everything people wanted to see ever since the Avengers were mentioned in the first Iron Man. It's breathlessly paced and looks spectacular. One long continuous shot featuring all the heroes fighting in different parts of Manhattan was a highlight of mine. There are a couple of dodgy green screen effects in the high speed Chitauri chariot chases, but it's easily overlooked. This is a landmark, feel good blockbuster on par with Jurassic Park and Star Wars. 8/10

PJ Blackham likes this.
  3. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

Avengers Assemble

Some really funny moments in it, to the point where it's almost a pastiche of the comics in some places. I would definately watch it again, so I would consider buying it on DVD.

I am not a film critic, but if it is good enough to hold my attention for nearly the whole film and considering the fact I would watch it again, that makes it a 10/10 for me.

EDIT - I was watching this with BRJ and not Gallifreyan_Brony BTW, before the rumours start lol!

Gallifreyan_Brony likes this.
  4. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

Brave (Yes I went to see it anyway despite skipping it for Dredd @ The O2)

A princess wants to change her future which she feels has been forced on her by her mother, she ends up accidentally cursing her mother, eventually cures her, they reconcile, etc etc etc. This is textbook children's film stuff, really. It's also made by Pixar, so the animation is high quality. While it's nothing special, it's a nice solid film with some funny bits and a nice amount of variation. Entirely predictable, but how many films aren't?

I was a bit disappointed by the tone it took concerning with the relationship between mother and daughter. They ended up reconciling and the mother was more accepting of her daughter's idiosyncrasies, but it still felt like too much of the blame for the situation was forced on the daughter. I would have liked to have seen a more equal resolution in that respect. But that might just have been me.

Overall, 6/10. Worth the watch if you have spare time and money (or if you have children I'd wager), but nothing worth making a special effort for or watching a second time.

5. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

DREDD - 3D (2012)

In a beautifully violent, futuristic city where the polis have authority to act as judge, jury and executioner, a copper teams with a rookie to take down a gang that deals the reality-altering drug, SLO-MO.

What can I say the film that laughs in the face of police brutality that has not been said before. This is perhaps one of the most violent films that I have ever seen (that has a story). The genral atmosphere of the megacity comes across as brutal as the bodies dropping from the high levels of Peach Trees block. The removal of Dredd's blingin' shoulder eagle (to the criticism of some fans) is no biggie and adds to the realism.

Karl Urban plays a pure belta' role. The voice is gruff. But not too unintelligible like in a few other films as of late where the lead sounds like they took a parmesan grater to the throat. I love the unshaven look of the judges. Shows that even they are too busy busting crime to whip out a wilkinson-sword quattro and some Old-Spice.

I'm surprised that so much stuff got past the censor board as the 18-cert is pretty just. I look forward to an uncut 3D Blu-ray.

If extreme bloody violence like you have never seen before is you're thing, perform an act of justice and spend the golds at your're nearest decent flix now.

Rating: Justice/10

6. Atomic Phoenix

Atomic Phoenix Only 19.4% insane

The Hunger Games
    (To see what all the fuss was about and to investigate the internets claims that it ripped off Battle Royale)

In a dystopian future following an attempted uprising by the lower classes, which they lost, now the powerful uppers require two people for "tribute" from each region to compete in a televised deathmatch to periodically crush the spirits of the masses. The main character of course ends up in the 74th or so annual deathmatch.

First point to raise was a good one, it is not a simple rip off of Battle Royale. The set up is actually extensive, eccentric and quite interesting, it goes on over an hour. At half way into the film I was actually enjoying it and preparing to defend it from the internet critics. Then the deathmatch itself starts and ....oh dear.

When the deathmatch actually starts then it does do a bad rendention of Battle Royale for a while, except it only follows the main character and is ludicrously dumb in several places. But the crunch point came about three-quarters in when they kill a young female character, milking the death for several minutes, which might have worked if she had had more than a minute's screentime beforehand. This 'shocking' death ignites a revolt amoungst the masses watching (you'd think this might have happened before in 70-odd years of killing) driving the organisers to suddenly change the rules of game to allow two people to survive (as this will give people 'hope' and stop them rebelling apparently o_O). And just like magic, now that it is narratively convenient, the MC suddenly falls in love with the only other thing vaguely ressembling a character, then just happens to find him in river nearby inexplicably wounded so they can go to a cave and make out. Urgh, it was a case of either turn it off or gain a concussion from banging my head on the table. I chose the former.

Rating: 4/10 (if applicable, as I couldn't finish it) I enjoyed the set up but man did it go downhill.

7. bobby.p

bobby.p #StayBased #MostWanted

Harvey (1950)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042546/
    synopsis
    Elwood P. Dowd is a mild-mannered, pleasant man, who just happens (he says) to have an invisible friend resembling a 6-foot rabbit.

trailer is a little corny

This movie was a great comedy, And also very Heart Warming, despite its bizzare premise, a great core message
    Also James (jimmy) Stewart is a great actor, this is one of his finest performances
    I'd recommend this feel to anyone in need of a good cheer up and some old timey movie magic
    plus funny 50s accents
    8/10= 4 stars

8. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

Avengers Assemble

What else can be said that hasn't already been said? It's a great film.

9/10

9. Knusper

Knusper Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Reservoir Dogs for the billionth time

Not going to bother reviewing it because if you've watched it you already know it's great and if you haven't it's probably because you're too young :p You know you're in for a hell of a ride when the credits roll with this iconic clip.

9/10 because it's not Pulp Fiction or Fight Club but is well within spitting ditance.

Sullithebrony likes this.
  10. FlakeTwist

FlakeTwist Space CQC Master

Last film I watched fully, Dredd 3D (2012)

If you squashed all the action of your favourite war film, all the artiness of the Tate, MOCA and the Guggenheims, then you'll be getting close to 5 minutes of this. I can honestly say that nothing I have ever seen comes close to this, in both concept and execution.

Crime: Being a mindblowing film in every sense.
    Verdict: Guilty.
    Sentence: 10/10

Fostergraph and Absentia like this.
  11. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Last time I watched a film was quite a while ago, actually.

Ice Age 4: Continental Drift 3D. It's about a mammoth, a tiger, and a sloth that do wacky things in one of the ice ages (about 20,000 years ago). And there's an evil monkey pirate. It isn't meant to make sense.

A high point for me would definitely be the 'HOLY CRAB!' moment, which I'm amazed they got past a U-rated film.

The brotherhood/family aspect of the main characters is something that really melted my heart - they're these guys that shouldn't even know each other, but will never let each other go. Also Diego/Sid is OTP.

I watched it with a few friends (one of my first non-family movies), so that enhanced the experience a lot. Another plus is how much of a nostalgic series this is for me: I could never truly enjoy Toy Story or Finding Nemo after Ice Age.

It has the same crazily unlikely balances and timings that the rest of the series has made a staple feature, and it would be an understatement to say that Ice Age is my favourite movie franchise of all time.

9/10 - simply because I can't justify giving anything a perfect score.

12. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

Saw Piranha 3DD the other night. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though it was no masterpiece. The Hoff had some funny moments in it and it's always great seeing Christopher Lloyd in films.

6/10

13. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

My Little Pony The Movie

An evil witch and her goofy daughters unleash the smooze upon pony valley. To save the day the ponies must seek out the new toy line (i.e. The Flutterponies) in order for them to deus ex machina the smooze away.

Not as bad as i feared, but still not good. Majority of the voice acting was very bad (think BonBon times a hundred), which is made worse with a lot of bad songs.

The pony characters are bland and characterless. The villains steal the show by actually having some character.

4/10 - Worth watching just to see how far MLP has come along with FiM.

All Hail Lord Smooze.

14. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't think you're giving the film enough credit.

The songs tended to be pretty catchy. The film is hilarious for all he wrong reasons. Also you're forgetting the Moochick and G1 Angel Bunny.

15. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

i remember sitting through that while babysitting one time.

last film i watched was
    Underworld rise of the lycans

seen it a few times now its interesting to see what Lucian went through before the first film why he was like how he was and the troubles and torture he endured.

it has to be one of my all time favorite films of all time mainly for the bloodshed and brutal gore but also for the whole origin of the lycan race and the werewolves.

10/10 i cant find a fault with the film no matter how hard i look

16. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Definitely the best of the Underworld films.

17. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

hehe wish i could say that would mean ive seen them all then but i haven't seen awakening yet didn't get the chance to catch it in cinema and haven't spotted the dvd cheap enough yet.

18. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

Léon (1994)

A professional assassin rescues a teenage girl whose parents, sister and brother were killed in a raid by crooked polis.

Now I was expecting a bit of an overhype case here with this one. However I was pleasantly surprised.
    The film has some wonderfully brutal moments and begins by showing us just how efficient and deadly Léon is.

Jean Reno's performance is pure gold. We are made to sympathise with this brutal killer and that shows good acting and good story execution right there.

Natalie Portman's performance as the ravaged character Matildha was also excellent. It's so fun in this flick when she behaves so grown up and is able to assist Léon in his 'Cleaning'. However we are treated to moments where she is still small, young and in need of some love.

Gary Oldman as the psychotic corrupt cop has some show stealing moments. Every bit as cray cray as Zorg in The Fifth Element (1997). He is cultured yet sick, twisted yet sophisticated, chilling yet quirky. I like that in villains. Makes them interesting and is a formula that does not go wrong often.

Besson does a great job with the direction. Intricate visceral shots that set up and caber toss the meaning to us. Blood and bruises on matildha's face early on with minimal dialogue are prime example for me.

Fantastic action and shootout towards the end. Dredd would be proud. I even shed a tear when Léon died.

Rating: 9mm bullets/10

19. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Assuming this covers DVDs and not just the cinema, then it was...

Winnie the Pooh (the 2011 one)

Based, surprisingly enough, on the AA Milne books, the story starts with Pooh running out of honey and Eeyore losing his tail. Christopher Robin sets up a competition to see who can find the best replacement tail, but events overtake the others when a scribbled note from CR is interpreted by Owl as saying that he (CR) has been taken prisoner by the terrible Backson.

This got very good reviews on release, but I found it pretty disappointing for a Disney cartoon. The songs (by Zooey Deschanel) are almost all completely unmemorable, while the storyline itself is pretty thin and makes even the film's stingy 63-minute running time seem too long. The mixture of British and American voice actors sounds odd, too, even though it happened with older W-t-P cartoons as well.

On the plus side, the hand-drawn 2D animation is very nicely done, with backgrounds strongly recalling EH Shepard's lovely original drawings, and the fact that this is a book adaptation is repeatedly alluded to -- with the actual words on the pages playing an integral role on several occasions. John Cleese's narration is restrained, but the lack of madcappery doesn't stop it being satisfying.

The film is really only about 57 minutes long, as it has very lengthy end credits. These are worth watching, as they contain some clever animation -- and there's also a (short) bonus scene after them. This isn't a classic Disney film by any means, though, and I'll probably take the DVD to a charity shop. All in all, 5/10.

20. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Clue

Farcical film adaptation of the classic board game Cluedo (AKA Clue in the US hence the film's name). 6 strangers are invited to a spooky mansion. They discover that each one of them are victims of blackmail by the sinister Mr Body. Shenanigans ensue, people are murdered and everyone has to figure out whodunit.

Brilliant classic murder mystery parody in a similar style to 'Murder By Death'. A really good example of some of Tim Curry's best comedy work..

8/10