1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Rate the last film you've watched

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by finalsight, 24 September 2012.

1. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

[​IMG]

Niko 2: Lentäjäveljekset

2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Kubo and the Two Strings

Saw this on Saturday, definitely want to see it again. Really great movie, simply stunning in the animation department, but maybe not quite perfect story-wise. For one thing, I feel a more in-depth explanation of the mythology and backstory was warranted, since the great majority of the audience will be unfamiliar with Japanese folklore and without proper exposition to introduce them, the supernatural-villainous characters end up coming rather out of left field. Heck, I walked out of the film not knowing what the "aunts" were even supposed to be, and I'm sure they are based on a real myth, it just wasn't explained.
    Lack of exposition was a fairly minor problem compared to everything the film did right, though. It's definitely Laika's most pleasant-feeling film to date - although many awful and tragic things happen, it doesn't have the persistently dark and disturbing atmosphere found in Coraline, Paranorman or Boxtrolls. (For the record, those first two are great. Not so hot on Boxtrolls.) It also has the most likeable characters - Monkey is probably my favourite Laika character ever, I hope there's some merch for the movie just so I can get a figure of her. (Although speaking of Monkey, she has one line that threw me off a little, namely "monkeys can't swim" - yes they can and do, particularly her own species, Japanese macaques, which are famed for using hot springs!)
    I also like that both this and Finding Dory are pretty major family films this year which both feature a disabled protagonist (Dory's memory loss, Kubo's one eye), where the disability is there and acknowledged, and isn't treated as something horrible. It's nice to see that. :)
    Poor Kubo, though - with what happened at the ending, this kid has pretty much had his parents die horribly twice over, in 3 out of 4 cases right in front of him! And what happens to him after the film's over? Does he live with his grandfather? 'Cause Grandpa, although he may be a kind old man with amnesia now, caused all the death and destruction seen in the movie and goodness knows what atrocities in the backstory, plus he seriously harmed Kubo himself as an infant and was hunting him down for his whole life with the intent of doing further harm. Not really the kind of person that should have custody of a child! :eek:

CrikeyoRilley and GhostlyJunkbot like this.
  3. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

War Dogs - 8/10 - Enjoyed this, making money and a good story is always something I enjoy. You get the feel of greed, going OTT and the result being morally questionable. I found it quite immersive.

Blair Witch (2016) - 5/10 - I enjoyed the original 20 years ago because it was a new genre of horror. The new one though just didnt do it, full of quietness then big screams to provide you with 'jump scares'. After the first one, you expect it at every other scene so its nothing new.

On a plus point it reminded me of my trip to South Africa and the treat of watching the original open air in the amazing Kirkenbosch Gardens, so flooded back so happy memories.

It does look amazing animation wise. Now the kids are back i hopefully can catch this at an early showing guilt free.

4. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Kubo and the Two Strings
    It has really great animation and I enjoy it.

5. CrikeyoRilley

Hateful 8 - 8/10 - I do love a good Tarantino film and this was. Weston style, ultra violent and a pretty cool story.

The Infiltrator - 7/10 - Enjoyed this, seemed like they holywooded the story a little and it seemed a little patchy, but a good Escobar plot from true events put back onto the screen... Plus its Brian Cranston.

6. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

@Danishbrony2011 That's not a rating. Would you mind expanding your message? You've done this rather a lot on this thread lately.

7. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

[​IMG]

The Barbarian Invasion 10/10

8. CrikeyoRilley

Deepwater Horizon - 8/10 - Very Emotive, real life horror. Nearly blubbed a little with empathy. Enjoyed this and would consider working on a rig just for this sense of danger.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

The Peanuts Movie
    Never been a Peanuts fan simply because I haven't really read it, but this film makes me want to. Absolutely charming and adorable, not to mention very funny. Also, I've discovered a fictional mini-me in the form of Marcie.

It's a bit sad that Blue Sky hasn't really produced anything else that comes close to this quality, since this just shows that they're obviously capable of doing so.

Golden Star and CrikeyoRilley like this.
  10. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Total Recall 8/10

An interesting premise for a film, and I really enjoyed the future sci fi setting. That said I'm sure the heroes would've been injured somehow during the climax of the film, and I'm not even sure if would actually happen in real life. Still, this was an enjoyable watch.

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

The Magnificent 7 (2016) 7/10 it was an ok fun film, just a little light on a plot =p

12. Phill

Phill Honorary Pony

Ghostbusters 2 - 10/10

Don't know why this movie is so disliked. I love just as much as the original. And the soundtrack is awesome

13. sten whik

sten whik Space

Basically because it's the same plot again like with Star Wars Episodes IV/VII and Pocahontas/Avatar. If they saw the sequel first they wouldn't have a problem

14. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Back to the Future 3 - 9/10

Great Scott! This rounds off a classic trilogy and is a nice note to end on.

15. sten whik

sten whik Space

Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016) 5/10
    Despite what many say about it, I really like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, this film however is mess.
    Pacing is all over the place.
    Side characters from the last film who previously interacted with the plot well with back stories and such are there in this one and that's about it.
    New CGI side and background characters look much blander than the old and don't have any depth to them whatsoever.
    The CGI in general is a step back in quality from the first film. The opening ship chase is extremely awfully done.
    There is an attempt to recreate the 'is it real or not?' feeling from the first film but it fails miserably. Also the acting of some of the cast in the "real" sections is quite bad.
    Rubbish back stories for the Hatter, and the Red and White Queens are the focus of the film which all lead to an unsatisfactory resolution.
    Alice, Hatter and side characters from the first film storm a castle with the White Queen who doesn't bring her large army for some reason.
    Alice just decides out of nowhere to abruptly go home.
    Only Alan Rickman gets dedication like they forgot Christopher Lee's Jabberwocky was also in the film.

On the upside the musical score is all right, Alice is performed well, and Time is quite a good character (wish they'd developed his story more).

#1435 sten whik, 10 October 2016
    Last edited: 11 October 2016
  16. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Tron 7/10
    This has to be one of strangest films I've ever watched. It is a pretty interesting premise especially given how technologically driven the world we live in is now. The climax of the film did feel rather rushed though.

Tron Legacy 8/10
    It's a little odd to have a sequel so long after the original, but it is nice to see a Tron film with special effects that can do the electronic world justice. The climax in this film was rather epic and I feel this sequel holds up to the original film really well.

17. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
    Saw this yesterday, have very mixed feelings about it. I went in with low expectations, considering Tim Burton's recent output, and was pleasantly surprised by the first half, which is mostly well executed even if exposition-heavy. However, the second half becomes a long series of increasingly awful shark jumps, contrivances and plotholes. The only saving grace is Samuel L. Jackson's performance - he obviously knows he's in a ridiculous film and embraces it with all the ham and scenery-chewing he can muster. This isn't one to see at the cinema at all, but if you can pick it up at clearance prices in a couple of years it might be worth watching just to snark at. I do recommend the book, though, it's a pretty good read.

18. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Fantastic beasts and were to find them 10/10 also Queenie Goldstein <3

19. Golden Star

Golden Star Formerly ChrisDilke

Moana - 9/10

Disney's winning streak shows no signs of slowing down. Great characters, wonderful voice cast, engaging story, dazzling animation, and fantastic music (who knew The Rock could sing?), what more could you want from a Disney film? Another really great addition to their catalogue, and a definite crowd-pleaser as well, as the audience at my screening applauded at the end. I don't know about any of you but that almost never happens when I go to the cinema. Also, if you're going to see it, make sure to stay after the credits.

20. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Moana - Absolutely loved this. It's a Disney Renaissance movie come again - appropriately enough, since it's by the same directors as Little Mermaid and a lot of others. The basic story maybe feels a bit too familiar, since most animated films nowadays do follow a very similar "Hero's Journey" plot, but everything else is so well executed that I really didn't mind at all. The soundtrack is a particular standout, some future classic songs in there - Let It Go doesn't get a look-in. Speaking of, I really hope this gets as popular as Frozen. It's far more deserving.
    Oh, and make sure to get into the cinema early enough to see the preceding short, "Inner Workings". Disney have been killing it with their shorts lately and this is no exception.
    Shoot, I assumed there wouldn't be anything! Oh well, I'll just have to book into another showing. :D