1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Rate the last film you've watched

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by finalsight, 24 September 2012.

1. Golden Star

Golden Star Formerly ChrisDilke

Ice Age: Collision Course - 4/10

I've always really liked this series and found a lot to enjoy with each instalment, but this one just did nothing for me. There's the occasional amusing moment, but extremely little else.

Love Actually - 9/10

Currently watching on ITV2. I usually save this film for Christmas Eve, but nothing else was on TV so my mum and I just left it on. Despite its predictability, I always adore watching it during the festive season.

2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Black Butler (Kuroshitji) 2014 live action film 8/10
    Even though it was very loosely based on the Anime I kind of liked it

3. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
    May the force be with you.

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

How To Train Your Dragon 2
    8/10
    A really enjoyable follow up to the original, although I still prefer the original mainly due to the scene where Hiccup and Toothless start to bond with each other. I did like the reference to that scene in this film though. I also feel Toothless seems to act like a dog some of the time, particularly when he's playing with a tree with another dragon!

E.T The Extra Terrestial
    8/10
    I can't remember when I first saw this film, but it is a classic. It was rather fun seeing the flying bike again, particularly knowing that it is referenced in the logo before any other film by that company. There seemed to be some odd time cuts though, like when E.T goes missing. How did he end up in the river in the first place?

5. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

A Bugs Life 8/10
    One of my childhood movies and it's still great even when I'm at the age of 23 it's still enjoyable as a pixar movie. Hopper still gives me the creeps though. He's a really nasty piece of work ain't it? I actually managed to get a DVD copy of this movie for Christmas because I figured why the hell not? I had the movie on VHS but I realised until now that I never had a DVD copy of A Bugs Life. Totally worth getting for Christmas though.

Fantasia 2000 7.5/10
    Ah the sequel to Fantasia, a sequel to one of the greatest disney movies in history. While I do like Fantasia 2000 I will say though it feels a bit too lighthearted compared to the original and honestly I have no idea why they decided to include celebrities like: Steve Martin, Quincy Jones, Penn and Teller, Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones to introduce each segment. I feel like there segments go on much longer than intended and most of the time they are just spouting off facts about the original and they really have no purpose other they are here between segments. I think on the whole occasion I preferred the method that was used in the first film in where Deems Taylor told you what segment was coming up and then we go straight to the segment in question. Here the celebrities just slow down the flow of each segment and like I say go on longer than they should. I felt there weren't a lot of segments that stood out for me in this. The Tin Steadfast Solider's alright it's basically telling the story of the fairytale of the same name but with an altered end because hey it's Disney. Carnival of Animals suffers because it's too comical and lighthearted as a segment and the fact that the segment is about a flamingo with a yo-yo is pretty much that, a flamingo playing with a yo-yo and it's exactly what it says on the tin. It's not a bad one, I do like it but yeah it's just a bit too wacky for me. The Symphony No 5 segment while it's trying to be abstract I do think it's trying a little too hard to be like the Toccata and D Fugue segment in the original and half the time the visuals doesn't seem to match the music and I feel shouldn't have included a storyline because it kind of muddle things for me and it wasn't really needed that's pretty much the weakest segment for me. But to their credit, there are segments that I absolutely adored like the Pines of Rome segment, The Firebird Suite, The Rhapsody in Blue segment even the grandiose segment of The Sorcerer's Apprentice from the original makes an encore visit in this movie. When the movie comes up with the goods it doesn't disappoints but yeah it's not as good as the first film which I consider a favourite of mine but regardless it's still an enjoyable flick.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  6. Golden Star

La La Land - 10/10

Simply brilliant. Terrific acting, fabulous music, stellar direction and choreography, and a wonderful love story at the heart of it all. A love letter to the classic musicals of yesteryear perfectly revitalised for contemporary audiences, this is a splendid romantic musical for old and new generations alike. I'll be rooting for this one at the Oscars.

7. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Moana 9/10
    This is honestly a great film from Disney. I really never knew The Rock could sing a song for a Disney movie and now that I've heard him sing he's got such a great voice plus when Maui goes into his backstory I really thought he was giving it his all there. Moana, is a strong protagonist and takes no nonsense from Maui while the latter in question is an arrogant blowhard he's still awesome in a sense. I loved the songs in this one and I thought myself humming Your Welcome when I was going back to Maidenhead. Go see this, it's amazing.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  8. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

The Little Prince
    Wonderful little story about mortality, individualism and growing up. It got a bit weird near the end when the two stories collided, but at that point I'd accepted the fairy-tale logic and didn't mind so much. Visually beautiful and highly emotional, 100% recommend.

fiddlepony likes this.
  9. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Kansas City Bomber 5/5

Great film about 70s roller derby, if you've seen Whip It! you will probably like this.

10. Silver Swift

Silver Swift New Pony

Zootropolis 8.5/10

A really fun film, with the usual quality of animation that you expect from Disney. It definitely had its humorous moments, excellent design and some fun references
    such as: when they discover the lab where the night howlers are made, the chemist mentions that Jessie and Walter had arrived with his latte

I thought they did the developing relationship between the two main characters particularly well, as well as the overarching commentary on racial xenophobia (I guess that's the best way to describe it?) Still, highly recommended - especially if you're a fan of animation.

Men in Black 8/10

Re-watched this again as it was being shown on TV last night. A fun film, that doesn't take itself too seriously, and doesn't really seem to try to be much more than that - which I think is commendable.

It has a good story, many funny moments and the dynamic between K and J I thought was well done. I wouldn't come into this expecting a deep and meaningful film, but if you are just after a couple hours entertainment (and are into sci-fi), you could do a lot worse than this.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Screw LA LA land Zootopolis is film of the year 2016 xD, I love that film so much.

Silver Swift likes this.
  12. Silver Swift

Silver Swift New Pony

Zootropolis is definitely one of my top films of last year, it's probably between that and Rogue One for me.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Same, It does feel weird to say I found a film better than a star wars film though lol

14. sten whik

sten whik Space

Calling Zootopia Zootropolis still annoys me for reasons I can't figure out. I even went as far as to import my blu-ray copy. :p

Cendaquenta and Silver Swift like this.
  15. Silver Swift

Silver Swift New Pony

Lol, that is true, but either way - it's a Disney film that wins :D

Haha, it's funny - I had to go double check the cover of my copy, as I was about to put it down as Zootopia, I'm guessing Zootropolis is the UK name for it?

Wonderbolt likes this.
  16. sten whik

sten whik Space

Yep. Apparently because a zoo being built in Denmark has the UK trademark for the name.

Silver Swift likes this.
  17. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

The Lion King: 10/10
    This brought back some childhood memories, and this has to be one of my all time favourite Disney films. It has some amazing animation given it was made in the nineties and the story is really gripping too. Lots of emotional moments, along with some good humour from characters like Timon, Pumbaa and Rafiki. It was great to sit down and watch it again after not seeing it for years.

18. Golden Star

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 9/10

The original is, of course, a staple of classic Disney, and one of my all-time favourite films, so I was quite nervouscited going into this one. But to my surprise, I actually ended up really liking it! It's well cast and performed (despite Emma Watson's voice clearly being Auto-Tuned during some musical moments), the sets and costumes look gorgeous, and although it follows the story extremely closely, it has just enough new material to keep it from feeling too familiar. It's unreasonable to expect it to match or better the original, but for my money, they did a mighty good job re-imagining it for live-action. As someone who adores the animated film, I'm surprised, but really glad, that I loved this version as well.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Beauty and the Beast, live-action

I will pay it the highest compliment I am capable of - it's a remake which warrants existing. It does have its fair share of problems and plotholes, definitely, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. I think Disney have finally found their feet as far as these live-action versions go - Cinderella was a bit pants, Jungle Book was mostly remarkable for its technological achievement, and BatB is just an all-round well-made and well-told film, as it should be. (Not taking the also-good Pete's Dragon into account, since it uses so little material from its predecessor that it can't really be called a remake.)
    One thing I was surprised by - it's really quite funny! The original had a joke or two but not all that many laugh-out-loud moments, whereas in this one, in nearly every scene there was at least a line or two I smiled at.
    As far as a rating goes, I think I probably agree with the previous post - 9 out of 10.

20. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Frozen: 7/10

I finally got to watch this film after seeing all the hype thanks to it being aired on the BBC on Christmas Day. Whilst watching it I did wonder if it was supposed to be a film or a musical. I know Disney films can be noted for their songs, but for most of this film it seems the characters can't speak more than a couple of sentences before bursting into song! I did enjoy Let It Go, but after relentless singing I ended up like this:

I did like how the villain turned on Anna though, particularly as you can see the cogs turning in his head as the locals explained he'd become ruler as he was all they had. I do feel he was rather lacking in the climax though, given the epic showdowns in Disney films over the years having this end with Anna just punching him felt laughably lacklustre.

This was enjoyable though, but I don't get why it was hyped to death.

Monsters University: 8/10

This was an amusing film, and had some intriguing points with Mike following his dream and Sulley being overconfident. I liked Dean Hardscrabble's design, when she opened her wings she looks like a dragon. She was a very hard fiend to please though. This film did have a lot of interesting nods to the original, such as the start of Randall's rivalry with Sulley. There was also some pretty funny moments along with some emotional scenes at the climax of the film.