1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Rate the last film you've watched

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by finalsight, 24 September 2012.

1. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

If I counted right on Wikipedia - Frozen has seven songs with words, the original Beauty and the Beast has six. So it's hardly more over the top than the older stuff...

2. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I think with Frozen though they had them all together during the first half of the film which really feels excessive.

A Million Ways to Die in the West: 8/10

I never heard of this film, but I'm glad I spotted it being aired so I could record and watch it! This was a really funny film, and I think it may be more fun than Ted, although I liked both films. It was cool to see Seth MacFarlane actually acting in person rather than doing a voice. I also enjoyed the actor from How I Met Your Mother as the moustached boyfriend, he was hilarious and that moustache song is really catchy.

I did wonder about the taste of the ice block scene though, it seemed rather brutal and jarring. The running joke of ways to die in the west did improve as the film went on, but I just wish that particularly bit had employed a more cartoonish effect. It would've worked better.

3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Power Rangers (2017)10/10
    This film is sweet, wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it.

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Mrs Doubtfire: 7/10

This film is a real testament to what a talent Robin Williams was. His performance makes this film, with his hilarious voices and timing, as well as being able to do a serious emotional scene very well. He made quite a convincing female housekeeper too, I can see how the family were fooled. Kudos to the make up crew and costume designers in this film. I didn't realise Pierce Brosnan was in this film either, although I guess he was a fitting actor for a rich and posh love interest.

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

The LEGO Batman Movie 7/10

Same visual and audio quality as The LEGO Movie however unlike the grouping of characters in that film the only interesting one in this is Batman himself. I have never seen a more uninteresting version of DC's heroes and villains. Everyone was either out of character or didn't have anything to link them to themselves other than their name and what they look like. And I don't mean out of character like the caricature that is LEGO's Batman, Harley Quinn for instance seemed completely sane and had an oddly deep soothing voice.

However the film is completely worth a watch just to see...
    Sauron, Voldemort, Daleks, Agent Smith, Jaws, King Kong, Gremlins, various dinosaurs from Jurassic Park/World, and the Kraken from the original Clash of the Titans film all teaming up.

Open Book likes this.
  6. sten whik

sten whik Space

Power Rangers 2017 7.5/10
    The film builds up well and actually makes some enjoyable depth adding changes to the characters but then rushes the ending like they didn't quite have the budget to finish it. I was worried that the Zords would be an indistinguishable mess of metal but they actually looked all right. Nowhere near as good as the originals but good enough. A fair bit of cool universe building stuff that would bring me back for a sequel if one ever got the go ahead.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  7. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Wonder Woman 10/10
    Basically Gal Goldot is hot xD

8. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I know right. I love a woman who can kick some serious ass. :p

Wonderbolt likes this.
  9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Inside Out 8/10

I've been wanting to see this for a while and I wasn't disappointed. This was a really emotional film at times, with plenty of moments that hit you right in the feels.

It had some funny moments too, like seeing inside the parent's minds and the part where Joy tells Sadness to keep all the sadness inside the circle. What an unashamed way to try and tell someone to stay out of the way. :p

10. Starscream759

Sing 7/10
    It's got some pretty good music in there, stunning animation that could rival Zootopia, it was a decent enough movie for me and I did get quite a few laughs from this. My only gripe with the film is that it's a plot that everybody's already seen before, the characters are cliches but that didn't stop me from enjoying this. Maybe not something that'll set the world on fire but worth a watch at least.

11. sten whik

sten whik Space

Transformers: The Last Knight Impossible-to-rate/10
    I can't decide if the film is the best thing to ever happen or the worst.
    It's glorious. It feels like several films were mashed together like the Digimon Movie.
    It's impossible to understand unless you're a fan and have seen all the previous Transformers gens which would be hardcore fan's dream if only they hadn't decided to take some of the worst aspects of those previous generations and stick them together like some big high budget troll.
    Characters and plot points are introduced and abandoned left and right.
    The whole thing was completely insane from visuals to plot to dialogue but at least it didn't have lots of boring stretches with human characters or boring action sequences like the previous films.
    Megatron's introduction. Why are the US willing to negotiate with him? Why are the Decepticons keeping human prisoners? Why are the humans keeping Decepticon prisoners? Why are they introducing his lackeys like their in last years Suicide Squad film? It was so out of nowhere that it made me smile like I did when saw a certain pony rock out on a guitar.

12. sten whik

sten whik Space

Beauty and the Beast (2017) 8/10

Overall a great enjoyable film and a good adaptation however...
    The film is sort of half and half all over the place. By that I mean every moment is either done well or poorly and there isn't really anything in between. Characters can have good realistic expressions one moment and bad unrealistic ones the next. The same sets can look good one moment and bad the next and the same goes for the CGI. A scene from the original animated feature can be adapted well one moment and poorly the next. We're talking a second to second flip here. In total I'd say the film starts with mostly bad moments with sprinkles of good but switches in the middle to mostly good moments with sprinkles of bad and luckily that carries through to the end. The Beast's CGI is the most consistently bad (he probably should have been live action instead) and Plumette's the most consistently good (I dare say great).

I found it odd that...
    They made the town seem so against reading despite having a school. Also the library consisted of about ten books which makes it impossible for Belle to be as well read as she acts.

There are so few servants in the final battle. It was a 20 to 1 fight. What was that about? Where were the others?

I liked...
    The new songs. That, when coupled with the glorious version of "Be Our Guest", really improved the film from the middle onwards.
    Also liked that they wouldn't actually give Belle a chance to eat anything during the song.

The backstories for Belle and Beast and other changes to that regard are definitely an improvement but needed to be fleshed out a little more.

I didn't like...
    Belle's father Maurice. He was just poorly portrayed for most of the film and given bad lines.

Cogsworth wasn't given enough screentime and didn't use any firearms despite seemingly being comprised of small cannons.

13. sten whik

sten whik Space

Kong: Skull Island 7/10

Starts off and builds up well but more and more problems created by lack of character development and plot causes the film to deteriorate into nothingness.
    Some characters are there for most of the film but don't even do anything making me wonder why they were even introduced.
    But I had fun due to the brisk pacing and there was lots of pretty cinematography to gawp at.
    And yes I am on a film renting spree at the moment. :p

14. Starscream759

The Road to El Dorado 8/10
    This honestly is a very underrated film I really don't why people don't talk about this often. It's got some stunning visuals, Tulio and Miguel very likeable and funny characters, Chell is quite "appealing" if you catch my drift. Ya know what I mean? Nudge nudge, wink wink, turn around, spit in a corner and say Mary? :p All joking this is a pretty good animated movie from Dreamworks may not be on the same level as How to Train your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda or the first two Shrek movies but it's certainly entertaining as a movie. And god damn it I can't get "It's Tough to Be a God" out of my head now! It's seriously so catchy! :D

15. sten whik

sten whik Space

Assassin's Creed 3/10

This film tries to be Pocahontas/James Cameron's Avatar but forgets to do the whole learning to understand another culture thing.
    It also ignores that the core premise of the video games that it's supposed to be based on are about exploring a different point in history as it barely spends any time in the past.

16. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Okja 9/10
    Amazing film but can be very disturbing at parts - no idea why Netflix has only labelled it a PG. Nevertheless an engrossing watch. An Seo Hyun (Mija) is a wonderful actress especially considering her young age. And of course Okja the "superpig" is so endearing.

17. sten whik

sten whik Space

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 7.5/10

The film starts out a complete mess but once that gets out the way it actually becomes the most faithful film adaptations of the early Arthurian legends I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of King Arthur films :p ). Unlike how most adaptations of King Arthur are made by people that have just seen previous film/TV/book adaptations and built on them, the person who wrote this script clearly read every source and decided to just go wild with it from there. Characters are merged together, names are changed, things from later versions sneak in, and new things are added but the director is unafraid to include the crazy and overpowered original parts of the stories that the later chivalrous versions removed.
    The weirdest deviation to me is having the Saxons be called Vikings but I suppose the reasoning behind that is something similar to a change in the recent Wonder Woman film.
    The film does it's best to remove any verbal exposition allowing a strong show don't tell narrative that in places purposefully keeps you confused so that you can work things out yourself as things go on. This method in a way is what keeps Arthur from becoming the kill-300-plus-men-in-one-battle Mary Sue superhero that the oldest Arthurian legends made him out to be...
    while still allowing him to become just that. :D
    The heavy CGI isn't great but it does what it needs to.
    The dialogue is unconventional for such a film, I'd compare it to "Romeo + Juliet" but reversed as instead of it being a modern setting with nonmodern speech it's a nonmodern setting with modern speech.
    Soundtrack is great as it has the amazing music from a Halo video game ad is in it.
    There are a lot of things left unexplainable by the end of the movie and by the looks of things it won't get a sequel despite five originally being planned. Which is a shame given that they were apparently going to go into the other big individuals of the Arthurian legend and have them all meet up in the end Avengers style. Since most other adaptations are bogged down by focusing on Arthur and his knights together, it would have been nice to have films focus on the characters that have their own detailed legends that are separate to his.

18. sten whik

sten whik Space

The Great Wall 6.5/10
    The main character's decisions make no sense but apart from that everything else was enjoyable.
    Would have been a lot better if the massive spectacular army of extras did more than march about.

19. Starscream759

Despicable Me 3 7/10
    I will say this was a good film, very funny, the visuals are stunning for a Despicable Me sequel, Balthazar Bratt is the highlight of the movie but I do think it's getting a bit stale though and I fear that it might be becoming one note and all that. I don't think it's as good as the other two films but I do think it's still entertaining enough.

20. sten whik

sten whik Space

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 4/10
    Film starts well with an interesting premise, characters and action scenes but by about an hour in that's all gone.
    It's incredibly annoying that they had the opportunity to have all these supernatural ships duking it out in one film and didn't take it.