1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Rate the last film you've watched

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by finalsight, 24 September 2012.

1. Golden Star

Golden Star Formerly ChrisDilke

It (2017) - 9/10
    Horror has never been one of my favourite genres, and I haven't read the book or seen the original miniseries, but I really enjoyed watching this. Good characters, compelling story, creepy villain played excellently by Bill Skarsgard, and a brilliantly unsettling atmosphere despite a few jump scares that felt a bit too predictable. Definitely recommended if you like a good horror flick.

2. sten whik

sten whik Space

Despicable Me 3 8/10
    A lot better than I thought it would be. Nothing ground breaking, it's just fun and well paced with an interesting villain.

3. sten whik

sten whik Space

Blade Runner 2049 10/10

I hadn't intended to see this in the cinema as I was expecting your average modernised "sequel" but I'm glad I did as it was in every way as good as the first. It's directed as a love letter to the original much like The Force Awakens is to A New Hope but unlike TFA it doesn't repeat narrative beats and follows it's own original story. This is classic 2001: A Space Odyssey styled science fiction, nearly every line of dialogue (as comparatively scarce to other films as it is in this nearly three hour long behemoth) is designed to make you think and question it's meaning. The audio and visuals are sublime. The only negative is that the location transition text was a bit too small to read, presumably it was designed for IMAX.

Cars 3 7/10

Remember how the first film ended with the main character learning that winning the race isn't everything? Well watch this one as he instantly forgets that lesson and learns it again but without all the interesting side characters and carified scenery. But at least there's a random demolition derby that has no reason to be there. :p

I can see why critics weren't to fond of this film as it's you average sports story but without a payoff.
    I can also see how fans of the series weren't to fond of this film as it does nothing for the main character and attempts to replace them with someone else like they were some sort of classic Marvel Comics hero or G1 Optimus Prime.

#1483 sten whik, 22 October 2017
    Last edited: 24 October 2017
  4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

April and the Extraordinary World 10/10

Well, this was the most bizarre, beautiful little gem of a movie I've ever seen. Shades of Studio Ghibli, Disney, Arthur Conan-Doyle, Martin Scorsese's Hugo, and just good old-fashioned steampunk. Needless to say, absolutely loved it and honestly, even if I wanted to pick flaws in it, I genuinely can't. (Well, maybe the romance is a bit rushed, but that's more a problem with film in general these days.) Don't really want to make a longer review for fear of giving spoilers! Would recommend this to everybody, as long as you don't mind reading subtitles. It's currently free to watch on Amazon Prime.
    Also, if you need any more convincing, there's a talking cat. Who doesn't love talking cats?

5. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Summer Wars - 5/5

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - 5/5

both movies are so awesome! I love the MLP movie, was great from start to finish :D

6. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10
    File under "surprisingly not crap" - my expectations weren't high, but I thoroughly enjoyed it even if it did seem like Harrison Ford was crowbarred in. It captures the feel of the original beautifully.

MLP Movie - 8/10
    Good, but not brilliant - loved the animation, and the series definitely needs more pirate parrots (plus, the Storm King reminded me of the idiotic, buzzword-spewing managers at work)

#1486 Irregular Apocalypse, 2 November 2017
    Last edited: 2 November 2017
  7. TheLegoBrony

TheLegoBrony Active Pony

ok though 30 mins was a recap of the show then only 20 minutes of the film

Accel World Infinte Burst 3/10

8. sten whik

sten whik Space

I haven't gotten round to Accel World yet as it might spoil the ending of Sword Art Online (as they might be set in the same universe) but after seeing your rating and looking up some others I have made a note to avoid that movie when the time comes.

9. TheLegoBrony

TheLegoBrony Active Pony

well they are made by the same creator, also Accel World came first before SAO due to SAO failing to be excepted

10. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

House Of The Dead - 3/5

I'm watching every film that has been discussed on Jim Sterling's Spinoff Doctors/Movie Boys podcast, starting from the beginning.

11. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

The World's End: 8/10

An amusing film with some fun moments. How the world was saved though seemed a little anticlimactic though, but the ending itself was unexpected and had some great effects. It was funny to see just how far Simon Pegg's character would go just to finish the Golden Mile too.

12. Golden Star

Haven't done this in a while, so the film fan in me decided it was time for an update (though this post is only for movies I've seen at the cinema).

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - A bit overlong and overstuffed with characters and story, but still a fun film with brilliantly OTT action. First was much better though. 7/10
    Blade Runner 2049 - Visually stunning with a thematically compelling narrative. I can't say it blew me away (though neither did the original), but still a great sequel. 8/10
    My Little Pony: The Movie - Gorgeous animations, wonderful soundtrack, some great new characters, and an engaging story that actually feels like a movie, not an extended episode. Not flawless, but thoroughly enjoyable after such a long wait. 9/10
    Thor: Ragnarok - Hilarious, thrilling and interesting throughout, one of the funniest films I've seen this year, and easily the best of the Thor trilogy. 9/10
    Pokemon The Movie: I Choose You - I honestly never thought I'd find myself going to see a new Pokemon movie at the cinema again, and I had hardly watched the series in years, so I went into this not knowing what to expect and ended up really enjoying it. I still have fond memories of my father taking me to see the first movie when I was a kid (much to his chagrin), and what was familiar took me right back to my childhood, while many of the new ideas/updates were things I really liked. There is an extremely questionable moment towards the end though (if you've seen it, you'll know). It was also nice seeing the movie in a packed screening where I think there were actually more older teens and adults there than kids, that's a real testament to the franchise's legacy after 20 years. 8/10
    Paddington 2 - Bigger and, in my opinion, better than the first, while still retaining its charm. If you're looking for something that's funny, exciting, sweet and easy to watch, then this is your film. 9/10
    Justice League - Actually not as bad as I was expecting. It is a clunky mess with a really poor villain, but there is some fun to be had here from the action sequences and likeable characters. It's definitely a step backwards from Wonder Woman, but I did enjoy it more than all the other DCEU films. I'll give it a 6/10.

13. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro 8/10

Bellzor likes this.
  14. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Justice League 7/10
    Not as good as Wonder Woman and the invasion plot has been done before but the action sequences are very good, the characters are pretty cool here looking at you Wonder Woman (Clicks his tongue and points with two fingers) anyways I do think it's a bit better than other DC comics movies that have come out recently but it just doesn't compare to well Wonder Woman which proved to be a successful stand alone film. Otherwise it's a good serviceable comic book flick but I think on that occasion Thor Ragnarok was a lot better in my opinion in terms of Superhero movies at this time of the year.

15. Golden Star

Wonder - 9/10
    Beautiful film, a really heartwarming story with great performances and inspirational messages. I definitely recommend this one.

16. sten whik

sten whik Space

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 8/10
    Why is this film so lowly rated by critics/audiences?
    I suppose I just went in expecting a martial arts movie/Power Rangers parody whereas everyone else were after The LEGO Movie 2.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  17. sten whik

sten whik Space

Bright 8/10
    Well paced with great sets and effects.
    It starts out with generic cop movie tropes with the odd fantasy twist but thirty minutes in it becomes a good fun action movie.

18. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Ted 2: 6/10

A fun film with a few amusing moments, but the most fun I had with this film was spotting all the pony stuff in the background. There are some scenes at the Hasbro head office and Comic Con where there are ponies galore!

19. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Deadpool 2 9/10

20. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, I've watched so many films recently and wanted to avoid double posting for so long, this will be quite the text wall:

The Little Mermaid: 9/10
    A Disney classic which somehow slipped me by, I really enjoyed watching this for the first time. I wasn't sure what Ariel was calling Flounder at the beginning of the film. Guppy? I guess that's a term which shows how dated the film is.
    Ariel is quite the dashing Princess, and it's a little astonishing to see her spend quite a few moments totally naked! I guess it makes sense, and they were rather clever with what was displayed in the animation.

Ice Age 5: Collision Course: 8/10
    I rather enjoyed this film, even if my mother couldn't stomach it. I also noted one other person on here didn't rate the film highly. I thought it was fun Ice Age film with quite a few laughs, although they are getting very zany with a lot of the ideas now and I do feel they ought to end the franchise with this rather than risk losing more quality with some even crazier ideas. That said, I'd be very happy to see a Scrat spin off movie. I do wonder why he always tries to bury his acorn when he gets it rather than eat it. You should have learned that the thing is never safe in your possession by now Scrat!

Another problem seems to be the sheer number of characters in the main group now. Shira barely did anything in this film and if they keep adding characters with every film more characters will get overshadowed.
    My favourite moment was probably the safe passage granted by the ancients. Simon Pegg did a great job returning to the role of Buck.

Despicable Me 3: 6/10
    A pretty fun film, but I was kept waiting for a "So, you're villains now?" from the wife from one of the trailers. Did they cut that from the finished film? I think the fact they didn't pull that off was a big let down. even the minions knew that villainy is more fun!

Speaking of the Minions, they didn't seem to do much except for singing songs in their weird language. I hope they're not slowly being turned into the Chipmunks.

This was okay, but I still feel the first film was the best.

Kick Ass: 7/10
    It was fun rewatching this again. I didn't realise the guy who played Henry Van Staaten from the Dalek episode in Doctor Who was in this as a hired goon. I also saw a teaser for the sequel in the ending.

This is one long film too, although nothing particularly felt like padding. Hitgirl still kicks butt. Her scene in the climax was a bit awkward to watch since it felt more like child abuse than an epic battle. Her potty mouth is still rather bad too.

Aladdin: 9/10
    Still an absolute classic. This was the first film I watched at the cinema and it hasn't lost it's shine.

Dumbo: 8/10
    Another Disney classic I've missed. It's very short, and shows it's age in a lot of ways, but it's very enjoyable. Pink elephants stills gives me nightmares though.

Equestria Girls Legends of Everfree: 6/10
    Has some fun moments, but a lot of ideas which have been done enough in this series. Also, no more Twi love interests! Thankfully Equestria Girls has moved onto better things.

Spectre: 9/10
    Best Daniel Craig Bond film yet.

Whew! I just hope more people post their reviews before I watch too many more. I miss reading other people's film reactions.