1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Rate the last film you've watched

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by finalsight, 24 September 2012.

1. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Lego movie 2
    Not as good as the first one but still really good.
    I would give 1st movie 9/10 and the 2nd 8/10.

#1521 sean retro, 1 March 2019
    Last edited: 2 March 2019
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Peril for the Guy (1956)
    7/10

This is an early Children's Film Foundation outing that I have on a CFF box set the BFI put out. It's very much of its time -- kids buying armfuls of fireworks and going into houses when invited by total strangers. But if you're in the mood, it's fun. I mean, where else do you get a fight with a full-size harp being wielded by one of the combatants? Or a chase scene involving a 1950s helicopter, a fire engine and a three-wheeler ice cream cart? Under an hour long and the kids are variable in their acting abilities, but I'm glad I saw it.

3. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

The Tale of Princess Kagura: 10/10
    I've been watching a lot of films lately, but this one really deserves a comment. I love the fact this is a film about a Princess who is made miserable by that very title. It's a refreshing take on what has been turned into a marketable trope by Disney and even MLP. I can't ever see Disney making a film with a Princess who just wants to run from her castle an live out her live in the country as a commoner with her friends.

This does say a lot about how miserable life could be for women. The idea that girls are just prized possessions and trophies to sit at home and look pretty is shown quite vividly here. I also didn't know painting your teeth black so you'd never show them was something women did in high Japanese culture. :eek:

There was plenty of pure fantasy and magic in this too. This has been one of the rare Ghibli films that captivated me from start to finish, and it is easily one of my favourites.

Adventureland: 1/10
    I wasn't going to say anything, but I figured I needed to do something to show that not EVERY film I watch is a 10/10. Anyway, this film just bored me so much I put it off after 40 minutes or so. It did not grab my interest much at all.

4. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Pokémon Detective Pikachu 8.5/10
    Ok Ryan Reynolds nails it as Pikachu and the other Pokémon looks so good.

Bellzor likes this.
  5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Ghostbusters (2016). 6/10.

I deliberately waited for all the fuss about this to die away before watching it, but then it turned up on a £2.99 Blu-ray so I thought I'd give it a go. And it was... okay. Fairly amusing in places, with a reasonable chemistry between the main cast members. Some decent dialogue, too. But was it as good as the original? For me, at least, no. It says something that the little references to the original were mostly my favourite moments. Don't think I'll watch it again.

6. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Long live the king.

Bellzor likes this.
  7. Golden Star

Golden Star Formerly ChrisDilke

The Lion King (2019) 5/10

I didn't really like it. It has its moments and some great technical achievements, but for the most part, I found it dull, unengaging and emotionally weightless. It may find some appeal with newcomers and some fans of the original may enjoy it for what it is, but I was disappointed.