1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

[Reading Group] - 20/06/14 - Discussion - Good Morning Scootaloo

Discussion in 'Fanfics & Writing' started by fiyahsparkle, 19 June 2014.

?

The tale of two ponies, but who will be those special someponies?

Poll closed 22 June 2014.
  1. On the Line

66.7%
  2. Good Morning Scootaloo

100.0%
  3. Mother of the Moon

33.3%
  4. Treasure in the West

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Promises

100.0%
  6. Honey Pie

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fiyahsparkle

fiyahsparkle Plushie Army Commander

So going to let this vote run until Sunday, this week I am going for fictions that focus on the interaction between two ponies. So we have a couple of repeats from last week but a few new options put in as well. Couple of shortish ones as well, if they both do well we could just do them both in one week.

Looks like we have a good mix, should be something in there for everyone :)

On the Line - Sad, Random, Adventure (31,309) - finalsight

As a Royal Princess, it is Luna's responsibility to watch over the subjects in her kingdom. One of the ways she helps the common pony is to inhabit their nightmares, helping them to overcome their fears and anxieties in order to live stronger the next day. However, one night Luna steps into the dreams of a young filly and finds out that the pony is dying. With nopony else able to help the child, the Royal Princess realizes that she has no other choice but to help. Can Luna save the filly walking the line between life and death?

Good Morning Scootaloo - Romance, Slice of life (13,157) - finalsight

A few weeks after Scootaloo's camping trip, and her experience with those nightmares, Luna's concern for the filly still persists. Intent on making sure that Scootaloo is alright, she goes to visit her one morning.

Mother of the Moon - Slice of life, AU (15,240) - finalsight

Luna is a happy filly, and wants her sister to be happy too. She doesn't know why Celestia cries at night, so she's going to raise the sun for her and let her big sister sleep in.

Celestia watches her waiting to raise the sun from inside her chambers, torn between a love that she wants to acknowledge and the machinations of politics that have kept her from doing so.

What would a good sister do?

Treasure in the West - Adventure (75,000) - Silvarrn

[Part One of the Riflepony Series] When an unexpected heat wave scorches Appleloosa, Braeburn finds himself unable to save his family's apple orchard. That is, until he meets a certain pony whom he thought to be fictitious. The mare tells him of a treasure that is said to be buried in the town of Dodge Junction, and asks for his assistance in finding it. Will the tales of Cunning the Colt's treasure prove to be true, or were they simply folktale?

Promises - Sad, Slice of Life (33,507) - fiyahsparkle

When Rainbow Dash learns that her number one fan is being abused, how far will she go to keep Scootaloo safe?

Honey Pie - Romance, Sad, Adventure (31,000) - Loganberry

The changelings are banished, the day is saved! Yet a victory for one must be a defeat for another, and this particular victory has left one changeling stranded in Canterlot, alone and broken. A certain pink party pony is also alone in the Canterlot night, hiding her depression from her friends. She cannot, however, hide her feelings from a changeling. What will become of this unlikely pair?

2. fiyahsparkle

So to break the tie Hallo bot comes to the rescue

[10:17:31] <fiyahsparkle|work> ok 1: Good Morning Scootaloo 2: Promises
    [10:17:58] <fiyahsparkle|work> hallo roll 1d2
    [10:17:58] <@Hallo> I roll 1!!!

So this week we are on

Good Morning Scootaloo - Romance, Slice of life (13,157) - finalsight

A few weeks after Scootaloo's camping trip, and her experience with those nightmares, Luna's concern for the filly still persists. Intent on making sure that Scootaloo is alright, she goes to visit her one morning.

Happy reading something a little different this week.

fiyah

#2 fiyahsparkle, 24 June 2014
    Last edited: 24 June 2014
  3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Ah good, a shortish one for a busy week. I might have time to read it after all! :) Rather amusingly tagged "Not-Fanfiction" on its EqD appearance, I note. I have no idea at all what to expect from this one.

Mind you, it does start at -1/10 in my mind for having punctuation in the title (it's officially "Good Morning, Scootaloo." with the quotes etc being part of the title) that mess up alphabetical order in Calibre. :p

Edit: Oh, it seems that Calibre can handle that after all. Yay Calibre. :)

4. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I was having issues downloading it. eventually i had to C&P it all into google docs and then download it as html.

5. Loganberry

Can someone remind me of the calendar for this, please? I've read the story and can't remember when it is we can post our thoughts without using spoiler tags!

6. fiyahsparkle

Yea you can, I have half written mine but been so busy at work with some last min projects I have not had time to finish it. Will try and get something up today if I can, going to have to miss this week organising things as too busy this week to get round to anything much.

fiyah

7. Loganberry

Okay then, some thoughts on "Good Night, Scootaloo." now:

I'll admit to having been a little iffy about the whole premise at first: I'm not a huge fan of the concept of aging up foals just so it's okay to write shipfics about them. It can feel a bit... uncomfortable. But this story did end up winning me over. The gimmick of starting each section with the words in the title didn't annoy me as I'd thought it might.

It was interesting that the fact that Scootaloo had indeed learned to fly as a teen wasn't made overly much of; I thought that was good. Ditto the mentions of her parents. Luna was very interestingly characterised: the notion of her having been married several times in her long life is not an original one, but it seemed to fit here.

A few niggles: "Friendship is magic, after all" was a bit forced, and I have an irrational hatred of the "Moon-Butt" style nicknames. The author makes the very common mistake of writing "council" when they mean "counsel". A couple of the OC names (eg Goalkeep and Quip) felt a little off. And I did feel the wedding scene dragged a little.

For the most part, I liked it a fair bit. Rainbow Dash's future as a mother of six rather blindsided me, but I guess anything's possible. The ending, though... it was a blatant attempt to go all-in for the feels and I'm afraid that in my case, it was entirely successful. Some may find it overly sentimental, but I loved it. To the extent that I might go as high as 8/10 for this one.