1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

[Reading Group] - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Fanfics & Writing' started by fiyahsparkle, 14 May 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Just posting this to draw everyone's attention to the fact that, now that the group's setup has been sorted out, @fiyahsparkle has retitled this thread to be used for general discussion. :)

Joesephius likes this.
  2. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I just posted a few suggestions on there.

3. Loganberry

A point of order, I guess: the "no mature-rated stories" guideline for story nominations is clear enough, but what about stories with Gore and/or Sex tags that are rated Teen? Eligible or not? I ask because there's already been one nomination ("Adaptation - A Changeling's Story") that carries a Gore tag.

4. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Yeah i forgot to put a note on that when i suggested it, asking if it was appropriate.

5. Loganberry

It's always tricky to tell with those tags, since they're pretty vague and you don't know exactly until reading the story. A gore level like "Fallout: Equestria" (which is Mature anyway) would certainly not be appropriate, but I've seen the tag applied occasionally just because there's a single dead body mentioned in one line.

6. fiyahsparkle

fiyahsparkle Plushie Army Commander

Often I find as long as stories are not tagged mature and only teen the references to sex are just mentions and references to it such as Naked Singularity being an example. For stories tagged gore + teen it more refers to references to violence or injury without graphic depictions of such.

Since this site requires you to be at least 13 to join stories rated for teens should be acceptable, the ultimate ruling of this however falls to the mods and admins. My opinion would be to allow it within the current guidelines of no mature rated stories I think we would be unnecessary cutting ourselves off from a lot of good fanfics if we limited it.

As always please post your opinions guys and let us know what you think.

fiyahsparkle

7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

This sounds like an interesting idea. I should really read more fanfic, and having a somewhat scheduled basis on which to do it would probably encourage me to do it. :)

Personally, while I try to avoid the "Mature + Gore" stuff in the fandom as much as humanly possible, I would be okay with the level of violence that could be present in a teen-rated story. If the story is good, I don't see a reason in excluding them.

8. Riorus

Riorus The Phoenix King

This sounds like fun, I've been meaning to start reading more again and this sounds like a perfect way to do it :D

9. fiyahsparkle

fiyahsparkle Plushie Army Commander

For anyone who is not aware, the first round of votes has started over here, cast your vote to decide what we will all be reading for our very first session.

fiyah

10. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I've jumped the gun and i'm already 2/3rds through one of them.
    It's been on my 'to read' list forever and i was thinking just in case it wasn't voted in.

11. Minion

Minion Pony

That was a pretty good fic. It was interesting to see another perspective on Changlings.