1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Regarding competitions ...

Discussion in 'Official News' started by Max Apogee, 19 February 2016.

1. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

Hey everybody.

Sorry, we don't have a new DVD competition for you right now, hopefully we'll have another one in a few weeks. However, we are after a bit of feedback.

While we've tried to make each competition interesting and as accessible to as many people as possible so that you all have a chance to enter, we've noticed that the more creative competitions, like the art and writing ones, didn't really receive that much interest from y'all, while the competitions like the crossword got a lot more interest.

So basically, what we'd like to know what sort of competitions you'd like to see more of. Would you like to see more crosswords and the like?? Are you finding the one week time frame for most of the competitions a bit limiting??

We welcome any feedback you have about this so that we can make our competitions more enjoyable in the future.

(... I've written the word competition too many times and now it's lost all meaning :p)

Bexy164 likes this.
  2. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

I'd be interested in both kinds really. Just depends on the prize whether I'll enter, though of course you can only offer current DVD releases.

3. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

The artsy ones always feel more daunting to enter. With the crossword one it was easy enough just to start filling in the clues I could do and before I knew it I wanted the satisfaction of finishing the whole crossword. It wasn't nearly as daunting.

That said I like the artsy competitions like the drawing one and the poetry one because I like seeing other people's submissions for them. They're a great inspiration for people to get creative, and it's great to see what people come up with for them, even if I don't manage to submit anything for them myself. Seeing other people's work is a different sort of enjoyment.

Which would I prefer? Not sure really. A mixture I guess. :p

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

I'm aware that the art-based competitions have a certain entry level and can restrict the people that can enter them. We have always known this to be a bit of an issue, but it isn't always easy quickly coming up with plausible competition challenges.

Going forward, we could try and come up with more word-based or imaginative challenges to try and make the competitions more accessible. Think poetry, crosswords, anagrams and short snippets of creative writing.

5. Recurrent Trotting

I love the competitions :D

the latest one was a good compromise between competitive and fun - it was arty but you didn't need any particular skill to participate in

one way to pool ideas would be to put up a thread for competition ideas and then choose from the fan faves.

one possibility for a competition would be to instead of having a specific medium for the competition, base the competition around a theme

If that happens then I would like a competition based around ponies in politics (with all the American political shenanigans going on). Could be visual (banners/campaign posters), audio or text and judged on creative skill as well as political nous.

fiddlepony and DerpyWhooves like this.
  6. Java

Java Coffee pony. Former UKofE Admin.

Pony knock-knock jokes? :D

Bridle Timeout and Corduroy Road like this.
  7. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Knock Knock!
    Who's There?
    Who's There: How you doing guy?
    Knock Knock: We've got to stop meeting like this. Ponies will think it's the start of a bad joke.

... pony names. lol

8. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Ah yes, that reminds me of Maud Pie's favourite joke:

Knock Knock?
    Who's There?
    Not a rock, they don't have appendages

Not a fan of art-based competitions, mainly because the odds are stacked so heavily against those of us bereft of artistic talent. OTOH, crosswords, anagrams, word-searches - all good. I like the idea of a 'flash fic' competition eg. 100-word fanfic or something of that ilk.

9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

That could be a fun idea! Though not if everyone's already posted theirs in this thread... ;)
    If I were eligible to enter these things, I would jump at a 100-word flashfic contest -- but how many others would, I wonder? When we had the larger fanfic competitions here, they generally didn't attract many entries. The crossword/quiz/word puzzle stuff would probably get more interest, I suspect.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  10. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

I think contests around a theme (allowing poetry, drawings, songs and the like) are an excellent idea. It allows a wider variety of people to enter

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  11. Moneybags

Moneybags Freedom.

I like the imaginative ones like Poetry and writing, because those are a lot easier to enter at any level.

12. Recurrent Trotting

ooh ooh yes! this! :D

13. Lucky424

Lucky424 Recognised Pony

I want to take part in the writing competitions, but unfortunately my stores aren't really suited to this site...

14. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Consider making them so as part of the challenge ...

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  15. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Just thought I'd mention that there's a branched-off thread talking about the possibility of a flashfic challenge of some sort -- not necessarily for a prize competition (which is why it's not in this thread) but it might be of interest to those reading this. :)

As far as prize contests specifically go, my feeling is that we should aim to be as inclusive as possible. A huge plus of this fandom is how many people do as well as watching, and it would be nice to maximise those numbers. For that reason, I think we should go for simple, easy-to-enter competitions as a priority.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

Thanks everyone for your feedback, there have been some really good ideas come out of this.

We're currently setting up the next couple of competitions, I do like @abrony-mouse's idea of having a pool of ideas, so please let us know yours. We try to theme the competitions around the DVD being released, so I'm sure we'll be bale to fit them in somewhere at some point.

Thanks again, and keep your eyes peeled for the next DVD competition ;)

DerpyWhooves likes this.