1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Reply box issues on Android

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by Wonderbolt, 29 January 2016.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I have issues using the reply text box whist using android. When on the regular mode, I can't move the typing cursor, it will only move whist typing text, pressing enter does not make the cursor go down to a new line and you can't move it manually. You have to change to bbcode mode to be able to move the curser to where you want or edit already written text. Anyone else have this issue?

2. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I've not experienced this at all.
    What browser are you using? What device are you using for android? Which version of android are you using?

3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Firefox (only extension in use is adblock plus), Nvidia shield K1, Marshmallow

4. SamP20

SamP20 A partridge in a pear tree

I have the same issues, again with Firefox on android.

5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

what version of android are you using, just wondering if its a marshmallow bug or android one as a whole?

6. SamP20

SamP20 A partridge in a pear tree

I'm using android 5.1.1 (lollipop), in particular CyanogenMod

7. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I have no problems on my Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 which is on Firefox and runs 5.1.1.
    I haven't tried anything on my phone (which I very recently got) which runs 6.0.

Could you screenshot the problem and post it here?

8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

You can't screen shot the problem as it would not show up. I have just tested on Chrome and it does not have the same issue, So it looks to be a firefox specific issue.

9. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

Firefox has always been a bit of a funny browser on Android. All I can suggest is "don't use it".

10. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Its still one one the most used browsers (and open source) so not using is not really an option for a lot of people.

11. Magpie

Magpie Burd, Wielder of the West Country Logic

Not really, you load up the Android store and download another browser. Hate to be the one to say this, but in the IT industry if it is not worth fixing (eg. system breaking, security related or an issue affecting a wide range of platforms) then it is very unlikely to get a fix.

12. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

The other alternatives are inferior so I am not going to do that, secondly what kind of customer service is that, any business taking that stance is doomed to fail.

13. Magpie

Magpie Burd, Wielder of the West Country Logic

Its not about customer service, it is about resources. Time is money and unless the result brings success greater than the investment then you are being inefficient with your milestones, something like this is not a quick fix as you have to spend time reproducing it and identifying the conditions.

You even said this yourself previously:

Use that or Tapatalk, if you don't because you find the others 'inferior' then as far as a Support Agent would be concerned they have offered you a working solution and you chose to reject it.

14. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Thats nothing more than a work around, its not a solution the problem.

15. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

I didn't include the Desktop versions of Firefox. Those work fine.

The Android version, however, is used by a very small minority of people. I guess that makes you one of them. That same version of Firefox is known to have issues and has never played nicely with Android. That isn't something I can fix, because I put it down to being a browser quirk and not our software.

I've given you the solution. Use a browser that plays nicely with Android. Opera and Chrome both work fine.

16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I appreciate that it is issue on Firefox and is difficult to solve (and maybe not worth the time and effort in the grand scheme of things)
    but I point out you have not given a solution, just alternative.

17. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

As a Firefox for Android user (and I have been for at least 2 years now), I can say that I've not experienced any quirks that I didn't like nor any issues with websites.
    I don't use chrome as most for a matter of principle (and I like Firefox sync between my desktop, laptop, tablet and phone), and I've always felt that it was one of the best options out there. Tapatalk went down a weird and odd path where it threw its proven and liked format out with the bath water and moved to a format which had an awful and unusable UI which insisted on you joining new forums you had no interest in.

I can only suggest that Firefox for Android might have very specific issues with Android 6. Many app developers are rushing to push out updates for Android 6 especially since few phones (and even fewer tablets) are running it other than the phones which were released in the last few months of 2015. Samsung are yet to push out any kind of Android 6 firmware and some other manufacturers are reluctant to push out an update (especially BlackBerry).
    I digress, but what I'd do is wait until Mozilla push out a new update for Firefox for Android, or use the Firefox for Android beta which has the next build (although it is also more buggy and less stable).

Wonderbolt likes this.