1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

RIP MattyBojangles.

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Denegoth, 31 March 2013.

1. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

Made a giant post on Facebook about this, but I figure there's a lot of you who knew the guy on here and don't have me on Facebook, so it's only fair that you all know this.
    Last night I received a delayed text (Set up to send 6 hours after he sent it) from Matthew Kane/MattyBojangles telling me that he had taken his own life, with instructions to send an ambulance to his house, alongside his address as he did not want his roommate to see his body. I then spent the next few hours dealing with Scottish emergency services, police (Ambulance was sent out within 20 minutes of getting the text), and Jack McArdle (Devour, to some of you), who helped me sort out contact through them.

I slept for about half an hour total last night, and I've spent the entire day today in a state of panic, not really knowing what to do and just HOPING for some good news. I was supposed to have a police officer come over my house today to tell me what had gone down and get a statement from me, but that never happened. It was only about three hours ago that Matt's roommate came online and told me - Matt passed away last night.

Matt has gone through some of the worst **** I've had to sit by and see a human being I know personally go through the last two years, and I've been utterly speechless at how strong he's been, even with clinical depression. During all this he's managed to keep up the strength to even go on one of the most stressful university courses I've ever even heard of. I wish there was something I could have done for him over these two years, but alas, I guess it was pretty much an impossibility in some cases since we live so far away. I just hope I truly did the best for him that I could, because I feel like there must have been SOMETHING I could have done for him to fix this.

This is the second time in four months I've had to experience losing a friend, but I'm not gonna lie, this time hurts so much more. Matt was quite possibly the closest friend I've ever had in my entire life. I've known him for 8 years now, and he's been a huge influence and helped shape me into the person I am today. No matter what happened - and a lot HAS happened, I can assure you - Matty was there for me through it all and never gave up on me where other friends did. He always knew that people could be bettered, and he spent a lot of his time bettering me as a person. We bonded over a lot of silly things, we went through a lot of the same phases, we enjoyed laughing at the internet and its many silly things together, and over the last two years our friendship finally took on a more physical form, as we went to conventions together and shared some of the most fun memories I can really remember. With how Matt has always been to me, he always felt like the older brother I never had - odd, since I'm older than him, but he was always somebody that I could luck up to, and I could ask him silly questions that he'd seem to always have the answer to, no matter how stupidly mundane they were.

It's going to be ****ing unbelievably hard to get through this, especially since I'm still dealing with the death of another close friend, but I'm going to do all I can to pull through this and also be there for Matt's other friends, who I wouldn't be surprised if they were more heartbroken than I am right now.

Rest in Peace Matty - I'll never forget you man, and I hope you're in a better place now ♥

2. Killergoose

Killergoose Modest genius

It's probably obvious that I never knew him but he seemed like a nice and fun guy to be around judging by what I heard on the podcast and seen of him in the forums. My condolences go to his friends and family.

3. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

I can't say I knew the guy personally. I can't say I particularly liked what I did see of him (although I'll be the first to admit that my view will be skewed).

But when something like this happens it's always terrible. Both for the person who was pushed to that extreme and for those left behind.

RIP.

4. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

I don't even have words.

5. Greetings

Greetings Greetings

I may have only met Matty once at a meet-up, but I know for a fact that he was one amazing guy and a brother like figure to many.
    I only hope that he has found peace. And that you as well as the rest of his close friends, might be able to move on; as that is what he would of wanted.
    Rip Matty, you were an inspiration to many.

6. Lulu

Lulu wi-fi princess (´ω`★)

I did not know Matty, but I am so sorry to learn of this loss. My deepest sympathies go out to you, his friends and his family.

7. bobby.p

bobby.p #StayBased #MostWanted

rip man
    a true true legend, never forget those fun times at may mcm
    and all those skype calls while watching those videos
    man hero of the podcast, ill miss you ya wee jake, those episodes were so good, such a hilarious guy, sometimes i listen back to those, comedy gold
    even threw all the crap life put you through you were one of the funniest guys ive ever know
    the scottish are missing their alpha jake, i hope you find peace
    I know this must have been a last resort, sucks we can never do that trip up to wee glasge eh
    ya wee ned, ill raise a drink to you next mcm, dingus hooves
    A true loss, such a shame to see this happen

Little Emerald and Denegoth like this.
  8. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

I only met Matty once - at MCM. I can't say I knew him too well, but he did make me laugh a few times. His family has my condolences.

If you ever feel like having a chat, I'm happy to have one. I'm sure many others on here will offer you to the same courtesy.

9. Jupitris

Jupitris Habitual Pony

This is truly saddening, although I hardly knew him I still feel immensely saddened.

10. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

My best wishes go out to his family and friends.

I never met the guy but from what people have said, he sounded like a swell guy and will be terribly missed.

Greetings likes this.
  11. Cloudynights

Cloudynights Very Bad Dragon

Just, the original jakey. It's hard to find the words here. I'm just going to miss him, as will everyone. Every time I throw back a drink, it'll be for the great guy Matt was.

Little Emerald and bobby.p like this.
  12. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

I am so, so sorry to hear this Denegoth, while I never personally met the guy, (and unfortunately our few meetings online weren't possibly the best for him) I was looking forward to seeing you him and the others at this Coming MCM.

Take heart, if you can, in the fact he put his trust in you to act out his final wishes. You've done him proud even if you don't feel so in your heart.

Greetings likes this.
  13. Centurion

Centurion Honorary Pony

I'm genuinely speechless. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, and sadly I never will. :( my thoughts go out to his closest friends and family and I understand their pain having lost a close relative myself. R.I.P Matty.

14. DannyB

DannyB Abnormal Pony

Its always devestating when a life is cut short for whatever reason, especially when a person feels the need to take their own life, but at least we know that he is up there in a much happier place now. Never knew him personally but my deepest sympathies go out to anyone who was close to him.

15. CyberneticPony

CyberneticPony Ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris.

There is little that can be said about irreversible actions. I hope he made the right decision for himself, but I regret the hurt that will be experienced by his close friends and family, and I hope that everybody can find peace over the matter.

16. Aurum Noble

Aurum Noble Ferroequinologist

When I first joined this site, MattyBojangles was one of the first people I've ever met, and even though I didn't get the chance to meet him (I was at the previous MCM, but I was mostly with Edd and Jimmy of AcousticBrony, a few friends and some of the others at the time, and I was roaming around the con floor for a bit trying to find Reaper and TomSka), he has been a massive influence on me, and most of all, he has inspired site-wide appreciation for all things Scottish, and although JackTHerbert mostly inspired my love of Barr drinks, had it not been for Matty, both me, Jack and the others probably would've not discovered them by now.

Not only was our appreciation for all things Scottish was mostly established by him, he also influenced the lexicon and the many in-jokes that've become commonplace, and barring recent controversy, he has been a true legend that will be sorrily missed by all of us here at UK of Equestria.

I wished I got to know him better, and I wanted to apologise for all the bad I might've done lately. You've been such a legend, and I will never forget those good moments you've cast upon this site. May his legacy live on forever and ever.

Stay strong, Denegoth. If you need someone to help you get through all this, we will be there for you.

#16 Aurum Noble, 1 April 2013
    Last edited: 1 April 2013
    Sweet Tale and Greetings like this.
  17. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

Thanks for all your kind words. It means a lot.

Little Emerald likes this.
  18. Centurion

Centurion Honorary Pony

You're very welcome. If you ever want to chat, you know where to find me.

19. Greetings

Greetings Greetings

We all need to keep thinking about the times when we shared with him; The times we laughed, The times we cried and the times we Smiled. It will help keep the memory of him, alive in our hearts. At the same time we all need to try and gradually move on with our lives;
    It's what such a kind person such as Matty would have wanted. And as his Friends, Family and fellow Bronys we at least owe him that much.

20. Indie

Indie All hail Classy Dog!

Though I didn't really know him, my condolences go out to yourself and those close to him. It's always a tragedy to lose someone you care about even more so when it's by their own choice.

Hope you get through it alright, if you ever need some cheering up or something to take your mind off it you know the guys down here in Brum are there for you.