1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

RIP Murray Walker

Discussion in 'In The News' started by janglehooves, 14 March 2021.

1. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Murray Walker, the legendary motorsport commentator died yesterday at the age of 97. For those of us of a certain age he will always be the voice of Formula 1. By all accounts he was also a really nice bloke and always seemed to be viewed with a lot of affection by the drivers and teams. If there's an afterlife, James Hunt will be there politely correcting him as I type...

Mane25 and Loganberry like this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Absolutely. Undoubtedly one of the all-time great sports commentators, up there with the likes of Richie Benaud and David Coleman. Murray may never have had more than a minor racing career (and that on two wheels not four) but he was, to coin a phrase, absolutely sensational behind the mic. I'm sure I wouldn't be a motorsport fan today if I hadn't been hooked by the Walker/Hunt combination in the mid-1980s. Yes, F1 was particularly thrilling in 1986 or so, but nevertheless Murray was absolutely crucial in drawing me in.

What I find particularly wonderful is that he seems to have been just as nice a guy in real life as he appeared on screen. We all know that's sadly not always the case, but with Murray it seems what you saw really was what you got. In that sense he reminds me a bit of Tony Hart, another man who loved nothing more than to share his passion with others. I'd say "rest in peace", but I've got to stop as I've got a lump in my throat.

janglehooves likes this.
  3. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

I only got into watching F1 over the last year and a bit and I still find Walker's voice to be instantly recognisable as "that guy that commentated Formula 1." Just goes to show how much of a cultural touchstone he became, even for someone who has no prior experience with his role.

janglehooves likes this.
  4. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Thanks for posting this, I've found it quite sad. I grew up with Murray, as a big F1 fan back in the day it was a large part of my life. He was totally unique and irreplaceable, unmatched in terms of his ability to communicate and transfer his passion and excitement. One thing I always admired was how he was above cynicism and gossip, almost always focussing on the good in people, not assuming the worst.

I had an old VHS tape called Murray's Magic Moments, which I re-watched last night, where Murray talks about his favourite moments in F1 pre-1997 - it's pure wonderful nostalgia - I highly recommend it to anyone if you can find a copy.

janglehooves likes this.