1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

S2 E11 - "Hearth's Warming Eve"

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bridle Timeout, 26 August 2014.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]

Season 2, Episode 11
    Original Air Date:
    17 December 2011
    Synopsis: The Mane 6 re-enact the founding of Equestria

A synchronised viewing on TeamSpeak is at 20:30 on Tuesday 26th August. Please arrive early if possible and make sure your system is properly setup for TeamSpeak before the beginning of the viewing.

Welcome back after the brief hiatus! I hope everyone had an enjoyable and pleasant week, whether or not you were at BUCK. :)

2. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Sadly can't join you guys tonight, but I hope you all enjoy, especially after the impressive turnout last week.

3. ❤Twilightlicious❤

❤Twilightlicious❤ pro capitalist with empathy

for people doing TS we are in carousel boutique

4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This is a really hard episode for me to place. Watching it in August doesn't help! :p I certainly think it's middle-tier, but exactly where in that middle tier it goes, I'm not entirely sure. It certainly has some nice moments, and more backstory and worldbuilding is always welcome. (And yay Derpy!) But it doesn't quite feel as epic as it maybe should. Possibly the framing device of the play cutting into the running time is the problem. A full episode just on the history and the Windigos could have been tremendous.

I really like the song at the end, and I think it's a real shame it's been so much ignored by the fandom. IIRC it was written as a sort of "brony anthem", and I'm not entirely sure why it didn't make it. One of the very few show songs I didn't hear playing at all during BUCK, for example, not even at the karaoke. Yes, it's a bit sugary and old-fashioned sentimental Disney, but so what?

5. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Yeah, that was a strange one to watch in the summer! While not a top tier episode for me either, I think this is definitely towards the top of my middle tier episodes and should make the top ten. I really like the level of world building they engage in here, particularly with the different Roman/ Medieval/ Settler styling for each of the tribes. I would have like to have seen more of the Windigos and known more about their development - the resolution was perhaps a little bit too easy as well (though far from surprising).

But there were some good character touches as well. Chancellor Pudding-head got most of the best lines, but was a really fun addition to the mythology (I was pleased to see her show up in "Journal of the Two Sisters"!).

And I agree with @Loganberry on the quality of the song. It's a good one, and fits into the festive setting perfectly. It has a nice sort of "golden age of cinema" feel to it. But I think that tends to work against it as an anthem. Something like "Smile" is perfect for a sing-along and easy to cover/re-mix which ensures longevity in the community. There isn't so much you can do with the carol. In fact, it reminds me that some of my favourite Christmas carols to listen to aren't among my favourites to sing. As much as a like the song, and its setting in the episode, I just don't think it works that well for group singing.

6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I really like this one, definitely a top-tier episode for me, perhaps even rivalling the Discord episodes in S2 (although I refuse to decide on a favourite). It seems I'm alone in this one, but it's close to perfect in my view.

7. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

Nothing like Christmas in August!

A good episode. I struggled to place this one as well. I love the history and the mythology, but again, something I couldn't put my finger on and it just didn't reach as high as I expected in my rankings. (Watch the Preference Revealer change all that!)

The characters are good and love the settings and inspiration for the outfits and different tribes. The combinations of the "rulers" and "sidekicks" are well done and, I feel, inflated just the right amount for the episode to take on a storybook feel. (Which works considering it's a play being performed!)

I do love the carol but I must admit that it just sounds festive which makes it seem out of place to sing other than during the festive period. Still, would love it if they had more lyrics and enlarged it to full length piece one day. That would so go on to my winter playlist then!

8. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This is an odd episode to watch in August. For some reason this didn't feel as good watching it the second time around. I suppose I feel there should've been more of an explanation to why the different pony societies were fighting or distrustful of each other.

Still, Chancellor Puddinghead does rather steal this episode with her Zapp Brannigan inspired leadership, and I also liked how Fluttershy was trying to hide in the props box just before going on stage. :p

9. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

More like heart warming, amirite :3

Had to be watched today along with Minty!

Fluttershy: "I'm so excited I feel like shouting! woo hoo..." X3

Some Derpy adorableness
    More Fluttershy adorableness hiding in the decorations box!
    "SHUT THE" - I thought it was going to be rude, but they said WINDOW :p
    Their past sounds rather disturbingly like human present and especially near-past...
    Chancellor Puddinghead! Love it. Wonder what the 12th Doctor would think of that name too!
    Pinkie was as crazy as ever, who says she got crazier / flanderised? She was always like this. Nice 4th wall moment too..
    Worth it to see Rarity riding Twilight XD Or indeed, @Clover the Clever
    We should totally rename the Earth "Dirtville" - if I remember, that's what I'm going to call it!

Frankly, it's a shame we don't have windigos in the real world to keep the hatred and disharmony in check. The story is quite the moral. Still, let's keep telling these stories and doing our best to make them come true :)

Another lovely heart warmer for the day. Ahhhh, I feel like I've just had a hot toddy.

(Interesting to hear what the song was apparently for too. Now that you mention it, it does seem to represent us, I guess it was just never really pointed out much
    And yeah, I can see it not being as appreciable in the summer - it's an episode, much like Minty Christmas or the Doctor Who specials - that really benefits from you being in "the mood")

Loganberry and Mane25 like this.
  10. 14jammar

14jammar Honorary Pony

HWE as the kids say is a.................... muh okay episode where the MAIN HA six go to London to play a...play :I
    The play looks like it is set in 18th century Britain. Mutch like 1984 there are 3 MAIN HA tribes; the unicorns, the pegasisters and the earth ponies who all hate each other's guts.
    The three tribes won't work together and that is why the weather is frosty and all horrible, you know like in Britain ALL THE TIME so the three tribes meet up in KFC and start nagging about how bad life is, good times gooood times, where was I?
    Oh I lost my track!

Me give this episode 8 out of 4

11. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Not so bad of an Hearth's Warming Eve episode.