1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 3, Episode 13 - Magical Mystery Cure

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Silvarrn, 14 February 2013.

1. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

[​IMG]
    Here we are, the end of Season 3, let's see how it goes

Air Date: February 16, 2013
    Synopsis: When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies, the only way to reverse the spell is by writing her own magic.

2. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

[​IMG]
    Brace yourselves Alicorn Twilight posts are coming

Enigma and Empress like this.
  3. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

inb4rage.

Actually, I can see this thread descending into as much anarchy as the season finale spoilers thread has done at times.

Danishbrony2011 and The Hindmost like this.
  4. The Hindmost

Shall we link people here now, and slow the descent a bit?

Danishbrony2011 and Empress like this.
  5. Killergoose

Killergoose Modest genius

Despite all the controversy a fair number of fans are surrounding it in, I am actually really looking forward to this episode and it honestly has a decent chance of being one of my favourite episodes of the season as long as the main characters are handled well.

6. The Hindmost

Oh I am looking forward to it, I'm just putting on a flak jacket and helmet ready for when the 'party' starts ;)

7. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I for one welcome our new Twilicorn overloads.

8. ecmc1093

ecmc1093 floof

I'm excited. Will be watching at the Bristol meet.
    Though I am still a little skeptical about how they are going to fit all the stuff that's happening into 22 mins without rushing it.

Leon K Fox likes this.
  9. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

I'm finding it difficult to care one way or another.
    I am reasonably looking forward to the new songs, though.
    Oh yeah, same. We've heard a lot of different things are happening in a very short space of time. Hope it doesn't all feel like the end of Keep Calm and Flutter On.

10. Killergoose

Killergoose Modest genius

Click here for "Cutie mark song"
    This episode is looking like it'll be a full blown musical!
    Also was Spike doing gangnam style?

#11 Killergoose, 14 February 2013
    Last edited: 14 February 2013
  11. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

See, I've never had anything against the idea of Twilight becoming an alicorn as a concept, but I had always assumed the finale would be a two parter to justify something as immense as Twilight becoming an alicorn, it would make sense that Celestia had planned this for her right from the start of the show, but I only became concerned when I found out it was only going to be a single episode.

I fear it's going to completely trivialise the concept of transcending to an alicorn and fall into the trope other shows aimed at little girls do, making her one without much thought just to sell toys. I know, I know, the My Little Pony cartoons are primarily adverts for the toys but they've always been above that up general level of quality until now in my eyes and I'm worried this may ruin that.

I really, REALLY hope I'm wrong about this however.

Though I will admit that the preview song is REALLY catchy.

12. Longcross

Longcross Honorary Pony

You know the easiest way to get somthing as important as this into one 22 minute episode?
    Make it a musical.
    It's simple. Songs mean you can get a lot of information over to the audience in a short space of time and move a story forward without having to need long scenes and dialogue to fully explain everything or leaving the audience feeling like they've skipped over something important. The Ballad of the Crystal Ponies told us about crystal pony culture in under two minutes, while during This Day Aria, Twilight and Cadance escaped from the caves while Chrysalis prepared for the wedding in just over two minutes.
    Songs make it much easier to get a lot of information across. The trick is to make the songs good so the audience enjoys it and becomes as engaged in the story as they would if it were just spoken dialogue.
    According to some sources, both Daniel Ingram and Will Anderson did a lot of work throughout this episode, and we already know of two songs out there and hints of a third, so there's a good chance this could be musical style episode. Looking at this episode without the Twilicorn panic, I think they might manage to do this really well.

13. The Hindmost

Both of those were two parters though ;)

14. Longcross

Longcross Honorary Pony

I just meant to show the songs individually as ways to get a lot of information across in a short space of time, not looking at the episodes as a whole.

The Hindmost likes this.
  15. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

This is a very good idea, but as The Hindmost pointed out those were two parters and I still feel it's relevant, those stories had more time to breath with or without songs.

16. The Hindmost

I know, didn't mean it seriously, I agree with the 'songs are good for reducing Kolmogorov complexity', it just amused me that the two best examples of using this to illustrate how it would work in a single 22 minute span, take place in episodes which are both two parters.

Longcross likes this.
  17. Longcross

Longcross Honorary Pony

To be honest they were just the first two which came to mind. Art of The Dress, At the Gala, The Perfect Stallion and others are all just as good examples featured in single episodes.

18. The Hindmost

Very true, I immediately thought of Winter Wrap Up as effectively the ur example within the show. In approximately 3 minutes and 20 seconds they've explained not only the entire purpose of winter wrap up, but the various tasks that nee to be undertaken in order to fulfil that purpose and the nervousness that Twilight feels about being useful.

Longcross likes this.
  19. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

In other words the whole episode is: