1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 5, Episode 10 - Princess Spike

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 15 June 2015.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

That or her frazzled mane, or being similar to a fraggle in appearance, take your pick.

2. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Whatever works, works I suppose.

3. ClapTraPony

ClapTraPony New Pony

First thought: Spike Episode syndrome.

Spike's ostensibly a main character, but I for one find it hard to care about him. He suffers from underutilisation; he's a focus in so few episodes that we don't have enough experience of him as a character to support his being portrayed as more than a stereotype. The background characters being brought to the fore in E9 are an example of how to do this well: They all played to type, and didn't express any behaviour out of the quickly established archetype. Similar is done with Zecora; she's a little more established, but is played mostly to type. Spike has more screentime under him than Zecora, so could be stretched a bit more, but I think he's stretched too far; his established character traits have to be recycled throughout the episode, and across episodes since he's never developed enough to explore.

Plot-wise, the set-up had potential, but the execution was clumsy, and pretty much relied on deus ex machina for the consequence of Spike's actions to occur. A series of accidents as a result would have made much more sense. Spike's "fall to the dark side" felt derivative of his greed in "Secret of My Excess" (my point about recycling), and a bit of a quick turn, it was forced with Cadence's exposition monologue, rather than demonstrated smoothly.

The episode was "ok", but we can expect more from FiM, especially given the excellent recent episodes. This is probably one of the weaker episodes over all seasons.

Things:
    I liked the diversity in pony designs.
    Fluffy Clouds!
    Twily's yawns were adorable. Twilight is best Princezzz
    Apparently her sleep-hugging things is a thing, books, pancakes...
    Cowpony has a spurs cutie mark. This is creepy. Or maybe she's a big football fan. That doesn't make sense, though... there are no cows in London.
    Spike apparently has a pocket on his back. Spike confirmed for inbred kangaroo.
    Painting-pony's Pona Lisa CM made me smile.
    Cadence has crystal magic! I liked that.

handy443 and Cendaquenta like this.
  4. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

#84 Oilyvalves, 22 June 2015
    Last edited: 22 June 2015
  5. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

Well the 1970s sitcom campness continues with Mr Humphries pony Fluffy Clouds getting upset that someone who used to be a 'friend' of his took his seat. I might have to make him Mr Honeyfizz's friend in my ponified Are You Being Served? fanfic.

The only other thing that stood out for me was Twi cuddling books as she went to sleep. TOO adorable. I even took a screenshot of that, I think it will be my new favourite pony picture.

It was a nice episode though, just not an outstanding one.

6. Starscream759

Hopefully we'll get a better episode than last weekend's episode. Well at least in my opinion.

7. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

We probably will, we've still got 16 episodes left.

8. Starscream759

Exactly.

9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I must admit, I related to Twilight here possibly more than I ever have. :p

[​IMG]

Dax, CuldeeFell, ClapTraPony and 5 others like this.
  10. Starscream759

By cuddling stuff?

11. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Myself and Twilicornonthecob apparently have the same issues with sleep, is what I mean. Darn you internet...

12. Starscream759

Oh come I was just yanking ya chain. And yes I can relate to that, being sleep deprived I mean.

13. handy443

handy443 Pixel Puppy

It was going to happen sooner or later - a disappointing episode.

The biggest complaint I have is that Spike was unfairly treated by the story. Poor Twilight has been up three days straight and for the first half at least, Spike had nothing but her best interests at heart and did everything a good friend would. The obligatory story conflict for Spike was forced, and we've seen him go through a similar character arc before.

I felt bad for Twilight for the whole episode! Was there no-one assigned to be Twilight's deputy? What were the other Princesses doing? Couldn't they have moved Twilight to a quieter room? Or maybe not give her so much work in the first place!

Episodes like this aren't terrible per say, but they remind us that the show has a lower bar of storytelling logic than what an intelligent adult would expect.

But still, Twilight was just super adorable in this episode. And that's enough for me to enjoy the show!

[​IMG]
    Seriously, give me 22 mins of this and I would still watch it.​

#93 handy443, 22 June 2015
    Last edited: 22 June 2015
  14. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I knew this would happen. Spike gets an episode and everyone starts moaning about it. I bet the writers could put together an epic story with everything that makes this show great, and people would still complain because it was a Spike episode. Cut the little dragon some slack will ya? Also, whoever said Spike should be axed from the show has to do all of Twilight's chores for a month. :p

When I saw the name for this episode I had a weird image of Spike in a dress. I'm glad we only got him calling himself Princess Spike and fluttering off his eyelashes. Although I did love the image that started off this thread! Spike is best Princess! XD

This wasn't the best Spike episode, people have pointed out some valid flaws in how this was executed. Rather than seeing Spike with an evil grin, it would've been nice to see more of him appreciating being listened to and being asked for advice. Also, just what were Celestia and Luna doing? They must have snuck off to eat some cake or something.

I guess following the 100th episode didn't do this much favours, but it did have plenty of fun moments. For one, it seems that books are not only full of useful information and wonderful stories, but they also make for a comfy bed and pillow. Twilight is so cute when she's tired. Then again, if she needs three full days without sleep to set this up, somepony really ought to give her some help. I'm sure my OC State Stallion would be up for the job. He'd love setting up an event like this. :)

Spike didn't do much wrong, although it's a shame he couldn't just find some ear muffs for Twilight and shut the window. That would've saved a lot of trouble. Still, it was funny to see the valiant knight Spike reappear from the Diamond Dogs episode. Orders of the Princess!

Interesting to note that there's a plant that dragons are allergic to. That might explain why they tend to stay clear of most of Equestria.

I loved the ending to this episode as well. What a silly pony to give Spike that bouquet! I hope she got the blame for the statue inevitably breaking again. :p

Cloudane and Wonderbolt like this.
  15. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I gave this a rewatch to see whether it improved in my estimation. Not really, to be honest, though I still do like the fact that being a princess is the absolute best thing you can possibly want to be in Equestria. Not just something frilly and pink, but a position with real responsibility and honour. :)

CuldeeFell likes this.
  16. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

I've only seen this one once and I was on holiday at the time but lets see...

From what I recall this is pretty much in the same ballpark as 'Spike at your Service' - there is stuff that makes no logical sense whatsoever but I end up forgiving it due to how good the humour is.

I enjoyed this one on a first watch a lot but I'm also sure that a little analysing will have it tumbling down. Just like Spike at Your Service, MMMystery on the Friendship Express, and Feeling Pinkie Keen.