1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 5, Episode 24 - The Mane Attraction

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 17 November 2015.

1. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That was pretty damn good.

I think of the episode that comes before a season finale as a 'normal episodes finale', and I think this one pulled it off so much better than The Equestria Games did last season.

I think this is my favourite AJ episode yet; she's been growing on me all season to be honest (no joke intended). I love how she went about trying to teach Rara the errors of her choices, and seeing her tearing up with happiness during the finale song made me feel so much for her.

I'm really not familiar with Lena Hall, and the first camp song (Equestria, the Land I Love according to the credits) made me a bit sceptical, as I think it goes a bit over-the-top towards the end. The 'Razmataz' song, apply named The Spectacle in the credits, and the finale song The Magic Inside I found fantastic. The reprise of Equestria, the Land I Love with the CMC sounded fine, but I could take it or leave it. Maybe a few more listens will get me in to it more.

The visuals were superb; when the screen faded to black for a moment before The Spectacle started, I knew it was going to be something special, and yeah, I was very impressed. Plus it just screamed Lady Gaga (and I'm not even an especially huge fan of her). Looking forward to re-watching the episode in top level video quality.

The whole concert scene at the end worked really well, with the crowd cheering for Twilight at the start, and then Rara revealing her renewed self to the audience before and after the song.

The main weakness of the episode was definitely Svengallop. Not so much that he didn't 'pay for it', but they could've done something interesting or unexpected with him, but alas he was just an arse, and that was his whole character.

I was slightly hopeful that they'd give Sweetie Belle a bit of attention with her new cutie mark, but I guess we'll have to wait until season 6 for that. I've got used to seeing the CMC with their marks by now anyway, and I still think they look great.

All I can say now is, roll on the finale, which I'll be avoiding as many spoilers as possible from.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Good point. Worth comparing with this behind the scenes clip:

https://instagram.com/p/wH7sdfvO8z/

As far as I can tell (and I'm not musical at all) she sounds virtually identical in the studio and in the episode.

DerpyWhooves and Oilyvalves like this.
  3. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Holy cow, one more Saturday to go, then it's over for the season. O.O

• Applejack... that's what you get when you been living under a rock
    • Aww, that flashback and Applejack nicknamed her friend.... Rara? Oh boy, Rarity's head canon nickname is officially smashed!
    • Typical pop star intro, aww, she remembers AJ. :3
    • Hoovies! XD
    • Pinkie and this party planning, and Sven Gallop is strict.
    • Autotune in pony, who knew?
    • Anyone noticed Sven is actually wearing pants? O.O
    • Aww, Rara didn't want to turn down the fillies. :3
    • Wait, what? Sven is being mean to Pinkie over oats and apples.
    • Applejack confronting Rara, it's cool she confronts her again to convince her.
    • Pinkie and Sven go backstage
    • Whoa! The Twily Cam! Hey @Bridle Timeout, you have another thing about Twily!
    • EXPOSED! This episode sure exposes the pop music industry.
    • With a little help from AJ Rara is Rara again.
    • Wow, without autotune, she's beautiful!
    • Aww, that ending. :')
    Loved this episode... the moral of the story kids, pop music is truly manufactured. :p

4. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

My childhood is a lie.

Snowyshy likes this.
  5. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Hmm... Twily can show films... That gives me a potential commission idea. :p
    I just saw a picture where the artist referred to the two of them as "RaraJack"... This could get confusing. ;)

Snowyshy likes this.
  6. FXPON01

FXPON01 Spreads Peace Through Strength

Okay, the episode was kind of simple. Not too complex, was over pretty quickly and felt there was little actual conflict, drama, comedy or anything to be honest.

And yet that didn't matter to me because the songs and music were phenominal! Plus the simplicity of the story just kind of worked.

I also love Ra Ra's design at the end, I wanna see more ponies with that curled / styled mane.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  7. Steel_Ivy

Steel_Ivy Pony

Overall good episode, it didn't give me such feels as crusaders of the lost mark.

I was just wondering, did applejack know that she can use twily as a cam when she was talking to rara? (I hate that, rara will always be rarity for me ;]). Are they watching their past adventures at saturdays evenings in the castle, or the battle with tirek pov movie? thats just hillarious. If you couldnt record the conversation what would they do? i imagine just having pinkie say "You gonna do what mate? Pull her off and see what happens" Then he would, and then there would be a confrontation involving pinkie and twi, and if someone doesnt belive what princess is saying then well, he/she is out of their legue ;]. But yeah this resolution was just fast and convenient, gave space for musical numbers. Why are those episodes sooo short T_T?

The "spectacle" song though, hahaha was just great :D

8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Gaga the Pony

I liked the episode, but it wasn't amongst the best of the season. I liked how Apple Jack is totally ignorant to popular culture.
    I actually prefered Rara's original costume and music style to how she ended up in the end, The theatrical pop track was a lot better than the generic Piano song she changed to.
    I suppose you would class this as a musical episode but I think I would have rather had a mane six singing episode to be honest.
    Finally a lot of people are saying they didn't like how Rara's manger didn't get his comeuppance but I have to disagree, to many times in mlp the villains are reformed or defeated so its a nice change that they let one get away with it, but to be honest his career is most likely ruined after the broadcast of his conversation with Rara and Equestrias biggest music stars off his books.

9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

A thought... would the ship name for Coloratura x Rarity be Rararity? :p Or Colority. Or Raretura?
    Anyways I'm calling Coloratura x AJ "Appletura" and somewhat ship it... after all Rara does refer to AJ as her "(childhood) fillyfriend".

Aside from shippy stuff, this was a pretty good episode. Only downside was it seemed too quick to me, for some reason. Also thought Svengallop was dealt with too easily - they show Rara a clip of him making one nasty remark and he's turfed out of the episode for good. I bet post-concert she'll have to deal with a lot more repercussions of firing her manager and doing a complete 180 on her public image, particularly as Svengallop seemed like he would be perfectly willing to sabotage her career if he was crossed. ... But then it wouldn't be a happy cheerful show for wee kiddies if they put all of that in, so yay, happy ending!
    All in all, a high note for AKR to go out on. You'll be missed, Amy!

Cloudane likes this.
  10. Steel_Ivy

Steel_Ivy Pony

Episodes are the same length but time flies when smth's good ;]

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  11. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

I haven't seen the promo, but I agree with everything else you say.

It was a good episode and Countess RaRa = Lady GaGa good word play. I now have Bad Romance going round in my head. The parody song was very good.

Cloudane and DerpyWhooves like this.
  12. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

This is a really random observation, but the music right at the beginning of the episode reminds me of the tune of the theme to the 'Brambly Hedge' cartoons:

(sorry for the bad quality, the only other versions I could find of it were the whole episodes)

13. Steel_Ivy

Steel_Ivy Pony

Man what were you watching? ;]

14. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

I just got around to watching this today. I'd already had a bit of a spoiler going in, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the episode at all. I think it told a very grown up story befitting of how far the show has come, it had fantastic songs and is overall the best episode in weeks, without a doubt.

A great way to round off the last of the regular episodes before the big finale this weekend!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  15. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

Really enjoyed this one. Had an EqG feel with the poppy songs and Rara's Sonata Dusk-style mane. Nice Gaga parody too. As has been said, a great swansong for AKR.

Mane25, Cloudane and MCtoastie like this.
  16. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

I had actually forgotten that this was Amy Keating Rogers' final episode for the show. That makes the ending song (which was already beautiful in my eyes) so full of feels... D:

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Musically, I thought no episode could match Crusaders of the lost Mark this season, but I have to say I think this one's up there with it. The 2 renditions of Equestria my Home are growing on me, and the other 2 I've always found phenomenal.

The fact that Amy Keating Rogers will be providing no more scripts for the show is very sad. The fact that she wrote 3 of my favourite episodes: Pinkie Pride, Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 and Crusaders of the Lost Mark is a testament to how great a writer she is. This episode was a great way for her to bow out, and I'll miss her. I hope she does well at Disney.

18. Laurence Hammond

Laurence Hammond I play to win!

I liked this episode more than I thought I would.. (I am not a fan of Lady Gaga at all and Rara has been compared to her countless times). However I ended up liking her character in the end as she broke away from that comparison and became more genuine.

I also much prefer the second song to "Razzle Dazzle".. That kind of just showed how generic and noisy pop music is today (damn younguns).. I found "Razzle Dazzle" to be a great parody of modern music though

MCtoastie likes this.
  19. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Cor heck blimey that was lovely :3 I'm glad Amy went out on such a good episode (especially since her previous one was so good too), it was the perfect exit ^^

So Rara is cannon, what are we going to call Rarity now :p
    Or should I say Lady RaRa... I liked her GaGa-like song too.
    Don't want to disappoint the school ponies!
    AJ saying "just do what I say" and having Rara trust her... dat episode 1 callback. It's nice when the ponies get to do their element things.
    And then wow that last couple of songs... tears were shed (yet again) :3 All this about being yourself and stepping out from behind a veil.. could apply to many things but seems to work well for Bronies too, I think we have ourselves an anthem and mascot :3
    Then the one with the CMCs... oh just stop it I can't take any more of these nice feels :')

Well played, high marks.

Bexy164, DerpyWhooves and MCtoastie like this.
  20. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Rari, Rares, Rareycakes, Best Unicorn... :p

Cloudane likes this.