1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 6/7/8/9 news and spoilers discussion

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 6 December 2015.

1. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'm sure it's because they're including "Best Gift Ever". I don't know how the show staff count it but I see no reason why it shouldn't count.

As for that second trailer...
    Argh! I did not think I was excited before, but now I am definitely, very excited. I'm starting to suspect that this final season will be full of emotional lumps and bumps. If Celestia and Luna resigning is the start of the season then there must be something really big happening for the finale.

Parthidens and Mane25 like this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I can hardly turn round at the moment without some S9 news! Here's Big Jim Miller with an interesting answer to a question. They only knew that S9 would be the last from about halfway through S8 production. No spoilers here, so:

3. Blissful690

*inserts relevant quotes*

I guess that makes sense, considering the premise for the episode airing the 20th of April doesn't really sound like it would be the 200th episode.

4. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Good grief that trailer had some true depth to it. It was like the producers have finally truly listened to the viewers outside of the targeted audience. It was beautiful, 'tear in the eye' sort of moment there. The
    modified version of the traditional MLP: FIM opening theme tune made into a slow ballad
    in the background was spot on. It had the feel of a feature length film.

So, we start with the mane 6 in Canterlot, but no Starlight? Where has she gone? Possibly she is sent off somewhere, maybe a new purpose?

Princess Celestia and Luna are retiring, will Twi be expected to raise and sun and moon single hoof? That's a lot of responsibility, she did manage it in "Twilights Kingdom" but surely that was just temporary.

I've never seen Discord with such grace and sensitivity in the way he speaks quite like I did then. What is going to happen to him? Slight change of personality here?

Sombra's back and he's got an army!

The student 6 are still present and correct in it, maybe they will replace the mane 6 to whatever their new role is?

Ooh I am going to be so gutted when this all ends :( it really just doesn't sink in. What suprised me was that in the original announcements we got the sense that there was some sort of transition into G5. From this trailer to me it really does feel like a goodbye to all of our characters. In a way I'd prefer that but by heck it's going to be emotional.

#864 Streamline, 9 March 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: 10 March 2019
    Parthidens and Blissful690 like this.
  5. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Slightly mixed feelings, but mostly positive.

As far as the Princesses retiring, I do kinda have to wonder if the writers thought that one through. We don't have any context yet, and I'm sure they'll make it work, but aside from the idea of Twilight ruling making me slightly uncomfortable, will the sisters still raise and lower the sun and moon? Will Luna continue to be Equestria's dream therapist? Twilight suddenly taking over doesn't seem very pony, but somehow six ponies ruling on equal terms does. I want to say I miss the days when they were just normal ponies, but Twilight never really was. She's always been the Princess' personal protege, and her brother the captain of the royal guard, even before she came to bear the element of magic.

That, Sombra returning, and the student six seemingly becoming the next element bearers are things I'd heard speculation about, but never thought they'd actually happen. Although now that I think about it, perhaps the Princesses retiring, and the student six getting the elements (If those things do even happen, as they seem to) is symbolic of how our familiar cast of ponies will inevitably pass the baton to their G5 counterparts. I doubt this will happen, as the writers will probably want to go out with a bang, but maybe it would be nice if they got the last grand adventure out of the way at the start of the season (It does look to be pretty climatic), and have the rest of it take place after the final happy ending. Again, I don't think that will happen, but it would give this season its own unique flavour, rather than building up to a climatic finale, as every season but the first has.

There have also been some screenshots from the season released:
    It looks like we have some new background ponies at the school (unless I just haven't noticed them before), an Applejack/Apple Bloom sister episode, some kind of bizarre musical sequence, a Nightmare Night episode, and some kind of dragon episode. Quibble Pants is clearly back, as well. I could be totally wrong about this, but it kinda, sorta looks like Fluttershy is cosplaying Rainbow Dash for Nightmare Night. If that's true, that's really, really adorable. Or maybe it's nothing to do with Nightmare Night, and Rarity just dragged Spike and Fluttershy into some kind of Shadow Spade mystery. We've seen several Hearthswarmings, Nightmare Nights and Hearts and Hooves Days, but it would be nice to see another Winter Wrap Up or Running of the Leaves, even just as a backdrop for an episode. I don't much like the dragon lands as a location, but if we get development for Smolder and/or Spike, I think it's worth it. Maybe it's not an Apple sister episode coming, but I think they deserve one - it's been a while.

Some of these screenshots they release are so random, though. Twilight levitating a book with a thoughtful expression? That could literally be anything! :p

6. Loganberry

That was a very interesting read; thank you! :)

With Twilight ruling, I'm wondering whether this is a deliberate decision by the show staff to resurrect a long-held wish of Lauren Faust's. It's fairly common knowledge that she intended Twilight to "take over" from Celestia in some way at the end of the series.

7. mlpbronypony

mlpbronypony Honorary Pony

What do you think is the chance even if Lauren has been working on DC Super hero girls, she has been helping with the writing for it but can’t say due to NDA’s. I mean I know she had mixed feelings as said in a tweet, but could be hiding excitement? Mind you this is wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Steamworks

Steamworks Well-Known Pony

I think Big Jim Miller has said he's done what he can to hold to whatever Lauren Faust had planned for the ponies as best as he can, so it was likely very deliberate.

9. Loganberry

Basically zero. It would go against absolutely everything she's said. It's possible Big Jim or someone may have checked a few specific details with her, but I have no idea how well they get on in person. But actually helping with the writing? No.

10. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Spoilery thoughts of spoilerness from the trailers.

I was hoping that Twilight (and her friends, of course) would take over for Celestia and Luna this season. Not just because I'm a massive Twilight fan, but because of the fact that it was part of Lauren's original plans for her. I figured it would have been the type of thing that they would have saved until the very last episode, so the fact it seems to be a part of the premiere instead is very intriguing.

I do hope they handle it well. I have some reservations, but if they handle things right, then the final season will be truly epic. :D

11. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Well, I watched the trailer and wow.

Twilight (and possibly the rest of the Mane Six?) taking over does make sense as a direction for the character, and depending on what G5 is going to be like, she could possibly put in a reappearance there - it's unlikely, but not impossible, so S9 may not be the last we see of her.

I've got to say I'm most excited about the return of King Sombra, and if rumour is to be believed, Cheese Sandwich (Weird Al). Truth be told, I'm still early in S8 and the scope of the series has broadened to include other lands, so is it possible that Sombra may be planning a huge invasion, maybe siding with other factions to create a truly epic finale? I also hope there are some surprise villains returning - Tirek would be nice (though obviously the surprise doesn't work if you predict it).

And that arrangement of the theme - my feels. :(

It's still a bit of a shock to discover that this will be officially the end of FiM, but it's been an absolute blast, and it is definitely better for the show to go out on a high than drag it out for the sake of it. I'm sure this fandom, which is one of the best things about MLP, will still be here, and our love for it will carry on. Nine seasons is a long time, but even the longest time has to come to an end, so I suppose I'm happier that it happened than sad because it's ending.

/)

12. Loganberry

That's confirmed. It's in the Discovery Family press release. Note that said press release also has a brief synopsis of episode 200.

13. Blissful690

Which isn't the actual episode 200, it's episode 199.

14. Loganberry

Someone asked Big Jim about this on Twitter. He said he believed that "Best Gift Ever" does have an episode number (196), which explains the disparity. I'm a little surprised, but I guess whatever Hasbro says goes. We'll see next month whether this is indeed the case.

On another note, something just occurred to me. I'm almost certainly wrong about this, but I need to get it out somewhere...
    Remember the S5 finale, when we saw the alternate universe with a large-scale war against Sombra going on? Well, what if it wasn't an alternate universe? What if that time the time-travel spell had taken them forward to the Equestria of S9? We now know that Sombra will return, after all. What if Rainbow Dash is going to lose her wing for real this season? :eek:

I do think this is incredibly unlikely to happen. But as I said, I had to get it down in black and white somewhere!

15. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Alas, the Applejack of that world didn't know who Pinkiebow or Flutterdash were.

Unless I'm mistaken the costumes for Sombra's army in S9 have taken their designs from that story though.

Loganberry likes this.
  16. Loganberry

Yeah, you're quite right. To get around that it would need some huge-scale, long-lasting memory loss or something. Too grim for the show, I think. Might make an interesting fanfic, though!

CuldeeFell likes this.
  17. sten whik

sten whik Space

Cyberman mind control suits* :p

CuldeeFell likes this.
  18. Loganberry

This from EqD... we have a possible title and synopsis for episode 3 of S9. This is from an electronic TV guide, so the usual cautions are necessary, but these things usually turn out to be correct. So...

"Uprooted -- The Young Six respond to a magical summons from the Tree of Harmony, only to find it has been destroyed."

We saw the Tree destroyed in the S9 trailer, so that much is no surprise. I wonder what the nature of the summons could be, though? Or what the Young Six will do once they realise what's happened?

19. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

#879 moody magpie, 19 March 2019
    Last edited: 19 March 2019
  20. sten whik

sten whik Space