1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 6/7/8 news and spoilers discussion

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 6 December 2015.

1. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Mods, what would be your position on discussing stuff from this leak? I've now read the show bible and would like to comment on it but wonder if that's crossing a line somehow.

3. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

Discussing information from the leak should be okay, much like discussing other questionable 'grey-areas' like live streams and torrents.

That said, obviously we can't allow links to downloads of any of the assets that have been leaked, and to be on the safe side it's probably best that no screen shots, or similar, of leaked assets be shared either.

Hope that helps ;)

CuldeeFell and Bridle Timeout like this.
  4. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  5. sten whik

sten whik Space

I had missed that book and in finding out about it I'm of the opinion that...

Details about Scootaloo's family are too important to have been introduced in a tie-in. Seven seasons of good build up thrown out the window. We could have had another "The Perfect Pear" level of quality episode.

Also why has Equestria Daily gone full spoiler mode on this?

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

There's a precedent for significant backstory to be introduced in a chapter book: we first found out that Cadance wasn't born an alicorn in Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. (Has her being born a pegasus been mentioned in the show? I can't remember.)

7. sten whik

sten whik Space

I don't think it was brought up in anything ever again and even if it was, Scootaloo is a main character of the show and so in my opinion anything important to her story should be introduced in the show.

8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I don’t think it was. Twilight called her a “unicorn” in “A Canterlot Wedding”, but that was before the Princesses were “officially” called alicorns.

Loganberry likes this.
  9. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

I just saw this news on Equestria Daily. I have an opinion, please do not hate me for it.

Disclosure, I'm not homophobic. While I follow Christian beliefs, I don't hate people who are LGBT nor do I harass them.

Now that I got that out of the way, this has nothing to do with Scootaloo's aunts, rather the core audience, the kids.

The thing that bugs me about this is that something like this could take away the show from kids who love it. For example, a parent lets their girl watch My Little Pony because it doesn't have any controversial subjects or similar content, and it's cute and harmless, they introduce Scootaloo's aunts as lesbians and then the parent makes their kid stop watching the show because of that. How do you explain to a little girl that they are no longer allowed to watch their favorite show, especially when the show isn't anything inappropriate to begin with? This isn't South Park we're talking about.

I know this is a book, but I imagine this is a scenario that could happen if such was introduced on the show. Given chapter books are made with an older audience in mind who understand things, where as picture books are for younger kids (or me, I read both. XD).

Again, I'm not homophobic, but I can't help but think if such a scenario did happen. Still going to continue enjoying the show, like I always have. :)

Please don't hate me. This was something that came to mind, I thought I'd put it out there for sake of conversation.

Personal note, this may be the only "season 8" spoiler I talk about. Even if it's from a book and may not be confirmed for the show itself. I generally avoid this thread because of spoilers. :p

#689 Snowyshy, 13 October 2017 at 5:06am
    Last edited: 13 October 2017 at 5:12am
    Wonderbolt likes this.
  10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

You gave your views in a calm and respectful way and didn't insult or harass anyone. If everyone on the internet did that, we'd have a pretty good time. So I have no problem with that at all. :)
    Now, on the actual issue you raised, I do have a couple of things to say...
    I must admit that this is one of the times when I really feel the width of the Atlantic. From what I've seen, LGBT issues are considerably more controversial in the US than they are here. For example, we've had same-sex marriage in Britain for three years now without too many problems. My response to the Scootaloo news was pretty much just, "Oh, that's interesting!"

I don't personally think there's any conflict at all between "cute and harmless" and "has LGBT characters", and if someone bans their kids from watching the show because of this... well... that's their problem. Nobody's suggesting that MLP should refer to anything inappropriate or adult. After all, I'm LGBT myself, and I would hope that didn't exclude me from commenting on this family-friendly forum! :p

What I will say, though, is that I would prefer all types of romance to be kept in the background as far as FiM is concerned. It's about friendship first and foremost. It's a bit different in EqG, but in the main series I'd be disappointed to see a focus on romantic storylines.

Cloudane and Snowyshy like this.
  11. Snowyshy

Thanks Logan. I do get nervous with said subject given how strong people are from both sides, as well as how sensitive of a subject it is.

Indeed it is. Here in the US, you have people who are strongly for it, and strongly against it, following what I've seen on the news anyway. This is also why I put the bit of disclosure in, I once had someone come attack me on a different MLP forum, just for being Christian as that somehow makes me "homophobic." Even though, I respect other people, and don't force my beliefs onto others.

Yeah, I'd hate to see said scenario happening, I can see it with some of the more conservative-like families. Especially since kids that young (we'll say 4-7, as that's the age group MLP targets) don't understand why nor do they care about such to begin with and just want to watch the show because of cute candy colored ponies (I watch the show for this reason too X3).

I'm just saying "inappropriate" as an example of why a kid might not be able to watch a show, not limited to MLP, because when I was that young and mom didn't want me watching something, it was for that reason. More or less how do you explain to a little kid they can't watch something they've been watching for what is seemingly like forever? At that age, months can feel like a very long time.

Sure hope not, it's fun chatting with you Logan. :)

Agreed, so far the only romance that sticks out is really the wedding episodes, and Perfect Pear. The focus has always been about friendship, which is a good thing that could extend into other subjects, like being friendly to others despite differences.

Loganberry likes this.
  12. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

On the Scootaloo thing...

That about forms the gist of my thoughts as well.

I really feel sorry for any kid who has a parent who is so heavily conservative (as in US small-c variety) that they ban the kid from watching a show that happens to have a gay character in it, especially when they've not even done anything in the show yet and it's just in one of the books. Many don't even see the books as canon. (Though I'll accept that it's a stepping stone or what they like to call a "slippery slope" that could lead to representation in the show, and obviously some scenes would then have to be censored in Russia or whatever which I don't see as the end of the world). And if they do indeed grow up to find they are not straight (we're at a point where the experts in these matters have come to a pretty solid consensus that sexuality isn't a choice - acting on it / repressing it is) then they're going to feel so awful and scared of their parents as they struggle to repress themselves, as we often hear about.

But I don't think it's really the problem of "everyone else", or Hasbro. Some parents also continue to ban their male children from enjoying anything 'girly' like MLP and here are Hasbro 'making it look acceptable' by changing the logo colour and putting boys in their marketing. Doesn't mean those who prefer their kids to stick to traditional gender roles get to demand Hasbro reverses course, removes all the boys from their marketing and puts the pink logo back...
    That's not quite a perfect comparison but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

It's interesting that it's seen as "inappropriate" content, implying perhaps that it's about sex. Sexuality involves sex but it isn't manifestation of it and isn't solely about that but about the whole set of feelings and attractions (and don't forget heterosexual is one too :)). It's just two of the same gender having feelings for each other and honestly aside from religious beliefs (again, no disrespect to the religious but not everyone believes the same thing) I can't see anything inappropriate about one person loving another ^^

Will be honest I'm quite happy to see this. Making people feel represented, and therefore accepted, in society is a good thing. Breaking out of decades of censorship and repression that is primarily motivated by religion (no offence to Snowy or any other religious people I don't mean to attack religion, it's just that history is history and in some quarters it's still apparently going on) also strikes me as positive.

Still... all in all I'd sooner we all just let each other be and concentrate on what unites us (ponies) rather than what divides us.

Snowyshy likes this.
  13. Snowyshy

Let me clarify something
    When I say "inappropriate," that's usually the reason parents give to their kids when they tell them not to watch something.

I'm not implying MLP is "inappropriate" in the least bit, but showing it as an example some parents may use. Good example, mom didn't want me watching South Park when I was 10, reason, it's inappropriate.

If that phrase was used by a parent for MLP because of Scootaloo's aunts, it makes no sense as in the book, Scootaloo's aunts are a couple. That's it. There's no cussing or anything like that. It makes it confusing for the kid, especially when commercials show kids in them.

Hope this clears things up.
    I wonder if these aunts would reveal more about Scootaloo's parents. I have my mom who thinks she's an orphan. :(

Loganberry and Cloudane like this.
  14. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Yeah I know - was addressing how a parent might consider it 'inappropriate' but obviously there are a few different reasons they would. Some of them do seem to think it's all about the nasty :p

10 characters

Snowyshy likes this.