1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 14 - Fame and Misfortune

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 7 August 2017.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    NATG 2017: In Love by NCMares
    Air Date: 12th August 2017
    Synopsis: Twilight Sparkle's publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences when ponies start to argue over who wrote the best lessons.

In the fandom we would certainly never argue over who is the best pony at something. :p

Anyway, for those of us who watched "Discordant Harmony" and "The Perfect Pear" way back when they were released in Australia, the hiatus is finally over. :p

Discuss away! Please remember that the spoiler rule is in effect until 24-hours after the episode has aired.

Mane25 and Cendaquenta like this.
  2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Picture is relatable. Very much looking forward to this ep.

3. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Just Do It

[​IMG]
    pinkie's lesson was clearly the best, fie on those who say otherwise! Well it was my fav of the lesson eps anyway (such musical pinkie). Followed by Dash (Lightnening Bollt)/Flutters (Breezie boss). Then Rares. Then AJ's... (Flim Flam + Silver Shill) :s

Hope Flutters stands up for her great lesson in the ep anyway

#3 abrony-mouse, 9 August 2017
    Last edited: 9 August 2017
  4. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

It has been confirmed that this episode has been written by none other than the return of M.A Larson! We could have a good episode on our hands!

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  5. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Unfortunately about that, M. A. Larson did talk this down in an interview a few months ago "there's an episode coming up that has my name on it but I didn't really write it, it wasn't my idea". And I'm guessing that's this episode. I'll try and dig it up if you want proof.

Cloudane likes this.
  6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Toola Roola! I thought it was her straight away but couldn't believe it when she was actually named - that made my day. :D I didn't catch her friend's name, was she anypony else we know?

The episode, well, I'm not sure I was too keen on the premise, the show has always been a bit weak when it comes to fame - I mean they're famous when they release a book but not for saving the world multiple times? I can let that kind of thing slide for the sake of a good episode though.

I think the song really saved it for me, it was a good song, and it brought everything together nicely and the episode made a whole lot more sense after that, raising it from below-average to above-average.

10 characters

Cloudane and Snowyshy like this.
  7. sten whik

sten whik Space

6/10 What was that? Oh wait I know...
    "We've thought of this amazingly catchy song but can't think of a plot to go with it"
    "Just throw anything in there."
    "Genius!"

Fluttershy's parts and the brony questions the fans were shouting out was enjoyable though.

Also didn't they basically publish Daring Do's secret?

#7 sten whik, 12 August 2017 at 5:13pm
    Last edited: 13 August 2017 at 1:00am
  8. Solar Wind

Solar Wind The Thomas fandom is going to explode

Why does Larson hate us?

It's honestly difficult to comment on this episode considering what was in it and how it seemed to point back at the fandom or indeed any fandom for obsessing about everything, mainly concentrating on the flaws of the show. I can already imagine Larson's thought process. We know he really didn't like the concept about the episode and that we would have ragged on it for an age, so best thing to do is just make us laugh at ourselves. That really is the only way I can see this concept working in a show with a rather peculiar fandom.

There are however a few parts of the episode that I truly do like. The song I do feel say a fair bit to not only the current writing team but any future writers. It'll be a work in progress, and considering another fandom I am in is currently going through a fourth significant transition period, it does say a fair bit to me. I did also love insane Rarity, who I can guarantee already has a tumblr page, and Fluttershy's moment. She really is putting her hoof down this season.

9. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Aaaaand they're back!
    Well bronies, I think we got called out there! :D I don't think this episode is going to go down at all well with some in the fandom but I don't think the criticism was unfounded and the episode really resonated with me. If I've read it right, the fact that it was the two fillies who benefitted from the publication of the journal (and it was nice to see it again by the way) was a somewhat pointed reference. When all the over-analysis, pedantic criticism and fandom battles are over it is the message of the show and how it can help the target audience (and indeed the older fans who are open to it) that really matters. I have always thought that we are guests at this party and it's good to have a reminder once in a while ;).

10. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

You've got it right there, I think. People can complain but it's a valuable lesson which I think will be good in the long run.

I guess the reason I was slow to warm to this episode was that I was hung up on the idea of having yet another 'meta' episode... but this one is really quite different.

CuldeeFell and janglehooves like this.
  11. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Oh, I was the same but once I saw where they were going it struck a chord. I'm not so keen on self-referential stuff on a regular basis but I think it was something that needed to be said. I'm sure some in the fandom will take offence but I think it's actually a compliment when we get a lesson aimed at us. The show has spent a considerable amount of time directing lessons at the target audience so it's a nice acknowledgement when we have one for the older fans (if a little ironic given the message of the episode...:)). I don't see it as an insult to the fandom, more a bit of constructive criticism and it should be taken in good spirit IMO.

Cloudane likes this.
  12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

And interesting to contrast this with Slice of Life - which was practically a love letter to the fandom - but it didn't really offer us much of a lesson... apart from telling us how wonderful we are. ;) This doesn't invalidate anything said there though, and we all know that no-one's perfect, so they kind of complement each other.

10 characters.

Cloudane likes this.
  13. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Recognised Pony

So much throwback. 10/10

14. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

10 characters.
    To all readers of the journal.

15. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Not sure what to think of this one
    It's properly due to the fact I'm overstimulated with Transformers stuff due to being at TFNation but I only found this one only as average. Maybe if I watch this one after looking at plastic robots, I might enjoy this one a bit more.

#15 moody magpie, 12 August 2017 at 8:28pm
    Last edited: 12 August 2017 at 11:57pm
  16. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

Let's do this

G3 food fight, great.

Along with the Friendship Journal, Twi should probably publish her letters to Celestia, too.

At least they're acknowledging the journal has been forgotten.

Starlight confirmed copy machine.

How much are the Mane 6 making off these book sales?

At least those autograph seekers only had 1 copy each. I've seen people with stacks of crap to get signed at cons. Saw someone with a dozen sleeves from the Buffy movie DVD at Dragon*Con one year.

Should Carrot Top and Berry Punch be used to Pinkie and know the Pinkie disclosed in the journal? Or are they just on drugs?

Right as I type that, Pinkie even points it out. gg

And now we get to the really meta stuff with Fluttershy.

And here we see Rarity going the Pinkamena route.

AJ and 100 blankets. That's quite a few.

So many fake Apples about. Okay, not fake Apples, just Apple cosplayers.

You'd think Dash would be used to all the attention since she's a 'Bolt.

At least they've got a castle to hide in and wait out the siege.

I think publishing the letters to Celestia would have helped some.

Oh hey, Caramel showing up and talking.

I do like the message of the song. Not sure it entirely fits in the episode, but eh.

And fillies bring it together.

As far as the crowd, I'm sure the royal guard could disperse it.

17. Candy Yunagi

It was quite good.

I liked the concept, and all the call backs to season 4, although I do have to wonder why they stopped writing in the journal, unless they literally just filled it right up. Starlight was good as well, but it felt like it could’ve just as easily been Spike the whole time. The only thing Spike wouldn’t have been able to do would be making copies of the journal. I did like the song, as well, especially each of them having a line or two. Kinda reminded me of Friendship Through the Ages, in that sense. It would’ve been nice to see how they resolved the situation at the end, assuming they don’t continue to get mobbed for the rest of their lives :p. Maybe having the fillies talk to that crowd? Also, a random little detail, but I think Toola Roola is the first G4 pony we’ve seen who has a different tail to their mane…

Snowyshy likes this.
  18. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I really liked this one, though...

...it's not the type of episode I'd want to see become a regular fixture as it was somewhat out of the ordinary run of things. It came across to me pretty similarly to the con scenes in "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" -- yes, it was having a dig at some fandom attitudes (and I'm sure I've held one or two of them myself at times!) but I didn't feel that was done in a mean-spirited way. As a Fluttershy fan, I outright cheered at when 'Shy responded to the "Why do you keep learning the same lesson?" criticism by pointing out that you don't instantly become perfect after learning a lesson once. The song wasn't a classic in itself but the message was excellent -- flawed characters are absolutely more interesting and more "real". Good to see Toola Roola finally make it to G4 -- Coconut Cream was a G3 pony as well. Perhaps not a particularly strong ending to the episode, but overall a very enjoyable one.

Cloudane, Snowyshy and vcgriffin like this.
  19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Wow, I wonder if that was a subtle critique of fandom or something.
    More confusing of the timeline. A book does not get into that state quickly or easily - I have books from literal decades ago which are in better nick than the journal! Come to that, shame on Twi for letting it get so damaged. She's supposed to be the mega-OCD book-loving pony and yet she lets probably the most precious book she owns literally fall apart.

Okay, getting published is not as easy as just handing your work to a shop assistant. :p

Poor Rarity. :( *hugs the marshmallow* That said, I feel bad for her, but the stress-sewing bit was hilarious. "What are you wearing?" "MY EMOTIONS!"

Fluttershy, you tell 'em girl!

Didn't think the song was all that great TBH. There was only one verse repeated over and over and over. Solid message though, even if it wasn't very effective in-universe.

Opinion of the ep as a whole... didn't love it, didn't dislike it, pretty middling for me but it said some things that needed saying, so good on it.

Cloudane likes this.
  20. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Just Do It

hahaha :D haven't grinned so much in ages 9/10
    so this was pony's most fan-aware ep and it was s7's best song. The message that understanding of personality and friendship includes flaws is so simple and yet daaaamn was it relatable in this ep D: only complaint I have is that Pinkie and Rarity didn't hit the mark, and AJ's line in the song was nonsensical (eager to please is not too honest AJ :p ). The rest were friggin greatness though D: I mean I've seen fan arguments that have been in the same terms.

I like that RD's fans are lil pegasi fillies since my nephew likes Dash in exactly the same way

Breaking the friendship moment :D absolutely couldn't believe that, and that was after the equally unbelievable failure of the friendship song to satisfy the fan/critics

Anyway pony iis back to rivalling Steven Universe for excitement and sassiness

#20 abrony-mouse, 13 August 2017 at 12:50am
    Last edited: 13 August 2017 at 12:58am