1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 15 - Triple Threat

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 16 August 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    19 August 2017

Writer: TBA

Synopsis: "Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day! Confident that the two new leaders will not get along, he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the other is there."

It's Spikeisode time! He's had some decent appearances in the last couple of seasons, so let's hope for another fun one. Looks like this is going to be one of those "comedy of misunderstandings" stories, which can be great fun if they're done well. Right, discuss away!

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired. Thank you. :)

2. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

The return of Ember.

This pleases me.

Bridle Timeout and ponePete like this.
  3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK, I'm a touch limited on time but I'll try to get something on here anyway.

Well, a Spike episode so it can be hard to predict how this'll be received... At the beginning it was starting to feel a bit like a filler episode, but it turns out there were quite a few layers of lessons here I thought. I'll need time to think and rewatch first before saying any more I think.

4. sten whik

sten whik Space

7.5/10
    I've grown to hate Spike cringe episodes but the writing and voice acting for Thorax and Ember and a few of the jokes made the episode very enjoyable.

Also hints at Changeling civil war :eek:

5. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Fun episode, enjoyed it.
    Spike got his ambassadorship! :D

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Not bad at all.
    Good fun, with Spike being a little stupid at times but in the service of an entertaining story I can accept that. Ember was great, if even more tsundere-ish at times than even her usual fandom representation! Thorax has a decent outing as well, and those hints of unrest in the changeling world are obviously not the end we'll hear of that... Also some interesting deeper issues buried under the jokes. (Most obvious being Ember's "I can say this, but you can't" comment, which I'm pleasantly surprised doesn't seem to have wound up certain portions of the fandom.) A few niggles here and there, but Spike episodes continue their run of being pretty enjoyable.

7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode :)
    It was good to see Thorax and Ember again, and this was a decently good Spike episode. :)

I loved the running joke of Thorax rambling on for ages at a couple points in the episode, and Twilight showing him her chairs. :p

Ember certainly is assertive, I'll give her that. :p I thought it was funny how she ate Twi's dishes and then started eating the walls. Poor Derpy though, her muffin got smeared on a wall. :p I thought it was amusing how she kept mixing up Twilight and Starlight, to the point where she went into a near rant about how they look alike to her. :p

Hints at trouble among the changelings. :eek:

In the end, both Ember and Thorax learned something from each other, and Spike learned that he shouldn't have kept them apart based on the assumption that they wouldn't get along. :)

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I totally forgot this was on earlier, since I was doing something else…

Which is ironic, now that I’ve seen it :p.

Another good episode, anyway. I like Thorax more every time, and I’m starting like Ember a bit more, as well. Spike having Twilight-style freak outs was fun, and most of the episode remedied me of the end of Sweet and Elite. I liked how Ember and Thorax learned from each other’s opposite approaches. It was quite strange for Spike to be called by the map, especially when he was the friendship problem, although it does support my theory that spending a lot of time around the map can cause it to eventually summon someone. I also found it interesting that the primal hatred Spike assumed they’d have was nowhere to be seen, and enjoyed the hints of tension among the changelings. I have a feeling that will become important…

9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Fun episode xD
    Nice to to Thorax and Ember back, plus more Lyra, Bonbon and Derpy are always welcome

10. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

So this episode was written by the guy who wrote my favourite episode of the season so far (Paternal Glideance) and did it turn out?
    Not too bad, not a classic but it was enjoyable. It seems strange that the map will now call anyone even if they are a pony or not. It was nice to see Ember and Thorax return and Lyra having a speaking role. One nitpick why is Starlight getting more appearances than Rainbow Dash?

Nsxile likes this.
  11. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Another week, another episode

Hey, an inversion of the usual Twilight/Spike dynamic with Spike freaking out with a list and Twi being the calm one.

Changelings confirmed part moth. Further proof that one pony with a flamethrower could've prevented the whole Canterlot wedding plot.

Lots of lights and shiny things? Ember (presumably) doesn't even know Shining.

Wall eating. She seems a tad dense for a dragon lord.

Oh come on, Twi, you should know better than to play into Spike's conundrum.

Spike's cutie mark confirmed for his face. Is his special talent narcissism?

I wonder how much of Twilight's budget goes to castle repairs.

Lyra and Bon Bon fighting over cupcake flavors? You'd think a couple that's been together as long as they have would be better at solving such minor issues.

And rogue changelings. There's Chryssy's in.

Such a waste of a muffin.

Not sure it was intentional, but Ember mixing up Starlight and Twilight does remind me of those people who say they can't tell people of other races apart.

Thorax probably needs to learn to not jump to bear immediately. Scale up and don't reveal your true power until it's too late.

Hey, an assertiveness lesson not coming from Fluttershy. This is different.

That's some intense feelings talk.

Presumably, Spike just brokered a peace treaty between the dragons and changelings. That's kinda massive.

12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Considering the "I can say that, but you can't" line later on, it probably was a sneaky race-relations joke.

13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

It reminded me of Judy Hoops in Zootrpolis when she first meets the desk Sargent

#13 Wonderbolt, 20 August 2017
    Last edited: 26 August 2017
    Cloudane likes this.
  14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I enjoyed this one too. It was a very interesting combination of characters.

15. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Kind of frustrated with this episode. It was obvious where it was going, it was obvious that Spike should have just introduced them both to each other at the start and not tried to keep them apart, it was obvious that the "friendship problem" he needed to solve was the problem he was already in. A couple of nice jokes (I liked Ember eating the walls) but overall I thought it was pretty weak and didn't enjoy it all that much.

Cloudane and Oilyvalves like this.
  16. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Not my favourite of the season, but it was still good fun. I like Thorax, and Ember was quite good fun as well in terms of her view of pony culture. It maintans a run of fun, but not spectacular, Spike episodes in recent years - a definite improvement on their general quality in early seasons.

Great appearance for Derpy as well - this was easily the best joke of the episode

Oilyvalves likes this.
  17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I understand your frustration; those aspects of the episode felt obvious/predictable to me too. That's what stopped me from really loving this episode. But the interactions between Thorax and Ember pulled it back quite a bit for me.

I was also quite nice just to see Thorax being so expressive. The animators were able to 'stretch his legs', so to speak. And the background story of his troubles at the hoard is some very interesting development. Like others have mentioned, fingers crossed we'll see more of that! It's a pity this episode didn't air before Bronycon. Kyle Rideout (Thorax's VA) is a pretty cool guy, and he wasn't able to talk about this one.

Cloudane and CuldeeFell like this.
  18. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I get you. The scene between Thorax and Ember was a good scene, and I was able to start enjoying the episode a bit more at that point, although it didn't undo the earlier frustrations.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  19. Recurrent Trotting

Ali Milner (ember's VA) 8/10, ep 6/10 :p

enjoyed every moment ember was in, especially the ones with Starlight and ember, but the story was over familiar and Thorax is officially the new Spike of not being able to carry eps. King bug-moose is fine on the side but he is season 1 levels of non-believable cringey male character.

Other than that tthere was a cute Twi/Spike moment where she got to see her lil Spike be the one over-stressing and organising things :3 it's nice to see characters grow on each other like that.

last thing - reformed changelings don't fight light that in my canon king bug moose. They lower their horns and charge into the fray head on like the bold, proud warrior bug mooses they are.

20. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

finally watched! Usual blow by blow stream of consciousness:

• How did he manage to invite two big names at the same time, what a derp :p
    • Spike's vision of Equestria getting nuked - eep!
    • Ember is like Capaldi's doctor, really does not do hugging :p
    • Ember thinks all ponies look the same - RACIST! XP
    • RIP Twilight's second house, eaten by a hungry dragon
    • Oh for goodness sake just let them come together, nothing will happen XD
    • Spike's map summoning lights on his scales, I like it :D
    • Spike: "The map is calling ME?" - Twilight: "Amazing, the map is REALLY reaching out!" - BAHAHAHAHA *breathes* *looks a bit sorry for Spike* *continues laughing* HAHAHAHA oh BURN.
    • OMG SPIKE the friendship problem is Ember and Thorax DUHHH
    • Real talk: this episode is really painful/frustrating to watch since it's just so obvious to the viewer. It really drags. I like the concept it's just that the execution... how can I put it... needs work
    • Thorax has problems back home with (small c) conservative changelings :p
    • Poor Derpy, the heartbreak of having a muffin stolen D:
    • Sun going around teacup was a nice touch animation wise.
    • Seeing Thorax talking as a bear was weird
    • Thorax and Ember: "So what?!" - speaking for the entire, frustrated audience!
    • Ember knows how to be a boss that's for sure
    • And Thorax knows how to add a heart. They could make a good coalition these two!
    • It took forever and was cringey to watch, but it was Very MLP in the end with the two differing individuals learning from each other.
    • Poor Spike but let's be honest, he did create his own problem
    • "Is this another part of it? Telling each other what you learned all the time?" - hehe, very self aware.

The journey was kind of painful with a strong desire to yell through the screen "oh for goodness sake just let them see each other!!" but had more than enough funny and generally interesting moments to make up for it. Oldschool GCSE grade: C+, but with a merit for Twilight's burn.