1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 16 - Campfire Tales

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 23 August 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    26 August 2017

Writers: Barry Safchick and Michael Platt

Synopsis: "When their big sister/little sister camping trip is ruined by Fly-ders, Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash tell Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo the stories of their favorite legends. Inspired by the tales, the girls make the most out of their new situation."

They really don't announce episode writers in advance anything like as often as they used to, do they? I think that's a bit of a shame. Anyway... this is the episode that has been said to contain something first seen in the comics (deliberately avoiding spoilers here) so it will be interesting to see whether that actually happens. It'll be the first true CMC ensemble episode since "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks", as the others since then have all focused on one of the fillies. Discuss away!

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired. Thank you. :)

#1 Loganberry, 23 August 2017
    Last edited: 26 August 2017
  2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Fly-ders, flying spiders?

CuldeeFell likes this.
  3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well... I wasn't expecting it to be just a story episode like that, but I guess it lived up to its name. I really liked Rarity's story! The other two were... OK... the episode would have been a lot better if the stories could be more tied to the actual events of the episode, but overall it wasn't bad, I'd watch it again.

It's a bit unwise to light a fire in a completely enclosed cave like that don't you think?
    10 characters

4. mlpbronypony

mlpbronypony Honorary Pony

My 2 cents!

Not a bad episode! Had to laugh at Rainbow over the whole pest issue! I loved the 2nd story as it went back to how the show started with the life lesson on the fact if you are kind to people and give your kindness they will be kind back to you, which made it special to me. I also liked that these new writers had done their homework and went back to everything that happened in Sleepless in Seattle back in S3! So I commend them for that! A very good episode all the same :)

Oilyvalves and Mane25 like this.
  5. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Yep, it was more or less the message that sold me on the show in the first place - that's why I really liked Rarity's story. :)

Also quite a bit of character development shown here in all characters - the new writers seem to know the show well.

Oilyvalves and mlpbronypony like this.
  6. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Above average.
    I think the Sphinx will be in Daring Done.

[mod note: the above spoiler relates to a future episode. Please say this specifically, not just "S7"!]

#6 Danishbrony2011, 26 August 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: 27 August 2017
  7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Cute episode :)

Flying spiders? If that happened to me, I would have been out of there so fast... :p

At least Rarity learned how to pack light since "Sleepless in Ponyville".

Also, shadow puppet Twiliarina. :D

The stories were good, but I think the one about Mistmane was by far the best of the three. :)

I also wonder if Flash Sentry is a descendent of Flash Magnus, or perhaps he was named after him. :p

Oilyvalves likes this.
  8. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I can't be bothered to review this properly, so I'll just make a joke about each story.

Pony Pompey
    The Trump administration
    I prefer Grunkle Stan's ego story

9. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

Admit it
    Did any of you get the urge to start singing this?

Robshi, Bridle Timeout and Solar Wind like this.
  10. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

I was trying to figure out the joke but I couldn't remember the song.

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

That was unexpected
    Felt different to normal pony episodes, liked the stories though, liked the Gondor cutie mark on one of the ponies and the fact they threw in wet mane Rarity at the end.

12. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

New episode time
    Is it just me or did this episode feel like a plug for the legends of magic comic series? A very average episode in my opinion, but it's nice to see more Scootaloo bonding with Dash. And some of Dash's facial expressions were funny (especially after her face had swollen after being bitten). Also did anyone get the nod to the Jungle book with Dash floating on river with Scootaloo sitting on her belly?

13. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I thought that was one of the weaker episodes in a generally strong season...
    It felt more like three specials stuck together with a rather flimsy overall plot than a coherent episode. I also agree that Rarity's story was the best -- the other two were a bit on the meh side; for example, Rockhoof's sudden abilities got no explanation at all, when I feel a proper fairy tale/myth would give some reason for it. I didn't really like seeing the flyders' nasty insect-type bites -- too reminiscent of Scottish midges! An odd Rainbow/Scootaloo relationship this time -- it was great that they specifically used the word "sister" for once, and I loved the little touches that made it clear how much Dash does care about Scoots. On the other hand, Scootaloo herself was really disappointing -- a one-dimensional scaredy-pony regressed to "Sleepless in Ponyville" levels. (And I wouldn't say this episode comes close to that one.) As @Mane25 touched on, I do worry about the safety training of some of these ponies -- trapping yourself in a cave, then lighting a fire in the enclosed space, then jumping into a mysterious underground river! Not exactly sensible... So overall, a bit of a disappointment, I think. New writers, so no track record to compare with.

14. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Watching this instead of the Mayweather/McGregor fight

Scoots is still scared. You'd think she'd have overcome that in a year.

Let's just nope outta here with flying spiders. Normal non-flying types are bad enough.

Hey, Sweetie's got a shield spell. That's new.

Dashie's spoiler alert was pretty awesome.

So earth ponies = Vikings?

I see the gods have smiled upon Rockhoof and declared that the volcano would claim no lives that day.

Shadow Twillerina.

Mist Mane has princess hair. She's the only other pony we've seen with it. Does that mean Tia and Luna are part Asian?

So why is this empress covering her face?

And there's the answer. She got palpatined.

Mist Mane didn't get that ugly, just old looking.

I'm not sure sealing the entrance was the best course of action there. Maybe relighting the fire and using it against the flyders would have been better.

Flash Magnus in the pre-Equestria days.

That commander is definitely giving off Vultan vibes.

Flash Magnus looks way too much like Flash Sentry for them not to be related.

Toss-up between Flash Magnus and Rockhoof for my favorite legend.

I wouldn't mind getting an episode like this every season from here on out if it means getting more lore out of it.

15. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Yeah, really liked this one personally.
    So it's been a year since Sleepless in Ponyville. Yay for more timeline hints.
    Rarity's shadow puppets are very impressive for a creature without fingers.
    I think I liked Mistmane's story the best.
    Awww, scared Scoots.
    "You can sit closer to me" *nyoom* :D
    Flash Magnus, definitely an ancestor of Flash Sentry.
    Agreed with some folk above, the "let's go further into the unexplored cave" bit maybe wasn't the best plan. And no, Rarity, running water wouldn't necessarily lead to an exit, especially since they went downstream - upstream could at least lead to where the water's coming in. These horses are lucky they didn't end up swimming with albino axolotls in an underground lake system. I just hope none of the kids watching are going on spelunking trips any time soon.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Well, I for one LOVED this episode! I watched it a second time straight after the first viewing (rare I do that). I saved it until today as I was too tired yesterday evening (have learnt my lesson in that regard).

Definitely rivaling A Royal Problem for my favourite of the season.

I was apprehensive going into this one, as I knew it was going to be a spiritual 'sequel' to Sleepless in Ponyville, one of my favourite episode ever, from the title and thumbnails. Even though it wasn't really what I was expecting (a story focusing on Scootaloo), what we did get more than satisfied me.

Some of the best visuals and background score we've ever had, I think. Rarity's 'Mist Mane' legend in particular was just gorgeous. AJ's legend was giving me many How to Train your Dragon vibes. And Dash's story, while probably the least interesting of the 3, sill had some wonderful action and properly intimidating dragons. I can't wait to see a top quality copy of this one.

The large ensemble cast for this episode did a super job too, with so many new voices in the legend sequences.

The interactions between the 6 featured ponies were quite fun, with lots of great little animation touches, particularly between Rarity and Dash and between the CMC. My only slight nit-pick; Rainbow could have been a bit more considerate of Scootaloo, but not overdone. I'm just glad Rainbow wasn't made completely stupid, like she's been in some past episodes. And Scootaloo could've been a bit less of a scare-dy pony. But it's understandable that the area could bring back bad memories for her.

I'll probably post again when I've had more time to go over things. For now though, 9.5/10

ponePete and Mane25 like this.
  17. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

Really good episode
    I liked this one better than the last couple. I particularly liked Rarity’s story, being purely about the characters involved. Not that the other two were bad at all, mind. I have to wonder if everything else was actually necessary, or if the writers just thought it would look lazy to just have them literally share their favourite legends around a campfire. That said, I scare easily myself, so I definitely empathise with Scootaloo here. I may have misheard, but it seems she may share Fluttershy’s fear of adult dragons, so that could actually be quite common among ponies. I also really liked Rainbow Dash’s affectionate smile for a moment as she put her wing around Scootaloo. I couldn’t really comment on how sensible their ideas for a getting in and out of the cave were, since I pretty much know nothing about nature or camping…

Oilyvalves likes this.
  18. ponePete

ponePete Well-Known Pony

It was interesting that Dragon Lord Torch was one of those dragons, kinda like some backstory before the days of Ember. Given that the other green dragon had a slimmer build and similar scales, perhaps that is her mother...?

Oilyvalves likes this.
  19. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

• Rarity: "I know what you're thinking" - Me: thinking "you're using your younger sister as child labour" XP
    • Well I'm glad Scoots knows what was about to kill Dashie with poison!
    • Dashie actually says "big sister" and it's actually a big sister / little sister thing - Awwww! I'd still love to know Scoots's backstory, but Dashie taking her on as a 'little sister' is adorable.
    • Dat carrot dog.. dat Fly? Spider? Flyder??
    • lol, those visible stings and Dashie's face after fetching the campfire (which she just carried over like an Adobe Flash asset, funny that!)
    • Rockhoof evolved like a Pokemon - at least he didn't turn into a git like Charmander did.
    • And the lava was routed into the sea, creating Obsidian Blocks and paving the way for spinoff My Little Pony: The Nether Free Forest
    • Seeing a lot of meme faces
    • Rarity seeing the beauty in everything, even in some dull old cave - huh, I quite like this! This is how she should be! Playing her eye for beauty as a strength and something beautiful itself, rather than as snobbishness or comedy. Though how she projects Twily on a wall with her hooves I have no idea!
    • Hmm so Asian ponies have curved horns. Neat way of showing racial differences
    • Empress "Luna" looks a lot like the critic from Spice Up Your Life. Scary!
    • Aww that sacrifice in the second story ;~; But it doesn't matter because physical beauty is fleeting anyway and the beauty was in her spirit... damn this is deep for Rarity, about the best I've ever seen her written IMO! Writers, please please treat her like this more often!
    • Dashie closes the entrance, trapping everypony in. Good work, Einstein.
    • Dashie makes up for it with a great action story and being OH SO ADORABLE with Scoots.
    • Apple Bloom shaking the water off cutely.

All in all a very MLP-at-heart episode and I loved how well Rarity was done in this one. Oldschool GCSE grade: B+, merit for Rarity.

#19 Cloudane, 29 August 2017
    Last edited: 30 August 2017
  20. Recurrent Trotting

heartwarming pony :) great slice of life for the characters who were all wonderfully in character the whole ep. An ep to curl up with. 8.5/10 I've been feeling really spoiled with this and the Fame ep. Some of my faves in ages.

loved Dash's and Rarity's stories to bits. Great male VAs in Dash's especially. Also the use of pegasi lore with the clouds

watched the whole ep with a big grin on my face :D only interupted by aws at the Scoot/Dash interaction "your big sis is here" :3

Cloudane and Oilyvalves like this.