1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 18 - Daring Done?

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 4 September 2017.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Daring Do and Rainbow Dash by PaulySentry​

Air Date: 9th September 2017
    Written By: G.M. Berrow
    Synopsis: Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie go on a mission to find out if A. K. Yearling is retiring from writing books.

This episode was leaked early on YouTube, so beware of dragons. :p

Remember that the spoiler rule is in effect until 24 hours after the official airing, and please be considerate towards those who may wish to wait until the "proper" air date to view the episode. :)

At least it's only a few days and not a few weeks. :p

2. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

I caved in and watched it ...

A fun episode, and yet another tie-up with the 'Legends Of Magic' comic (#5, which I've not read yet) - I think I want a plushie of the Sphinx, too :p

3. sten whik

sten whik Space

Lasted a day before also caving in.
    Anyway 8/10
    An enjoyable episode using a popular premise executed in an unique way.
    Sphinx looked great, give me more.
    Seriously, I want more, like now please.

On to the nitpicks...
    Pinkie Pie is prominently in an episode when she doesn't need to be again.
    Rainbow Dash totally could have either beaten up or flown away from those thugs.
    Those steam vents should have been foreshadowed a bit.

4. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

I watched this yesterday as I needed cheering up after a poor day at work and
    I liked this one as with all the Daring Do episodes. Pinkie was written really well and I do the chemistry between her and Dashie. If I had one complaint is who replaced Rainbow Dash with Olive Oyl from Popeye at the end of the episode? Because she got captured way too easily for some as fast and brave as her. Still a fun episode I would watch again. 7.5/10 from me.

5. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Never been very much of a Daring Do fan. This ep was decent, I guess.
    I really liked seeing the Somnambula story illustrated in heiroglyphics, very Prince of Egypt style.

6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK I waited to the day at least, but couldn't hold on any longer.

Not a big Daring Do fan either, but it wasn't bad.

Not out of spite to Daring Do fans of course, I know she is popular, but actually I was kind of hoping that Daring Do really would be done after this. Mainly because I thought there was potential for an episode in there about Rainbow Dash coming to terms with Daring Do ending for good, foreshadowing for us for when the dark day eventually comes that FIM is no more... that would have been a good lesson along those lines but it was nothing like that.

As for the actual episode, for a Daring Do episode it wasn't bad, I think I like this more than Daring Don't anyhow.

7. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yay Daring do
    The citizens of the South of Equestria seemingly live in poverty compared to their Northern counterparts, also they had a pharaoh once (another nation anaxed by Celestia or her predecessors?).
    Fun episode but Rainbow was once again reduced to mere Damsil in distress which seems to happen in Daring episodes.

8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I made it the week without watching this, although I was spoiled on a few things. :p

Not bad, but not great either.
    Pinkie was just kind of there, and Rainbow got captured way too easily.

I did enjoy the story of Somnambula though, and the animation style in that section was really good. :)

9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was a fun Daring Do episode. I hung on because I hoped to watch it with good sound quality, but nothing perfect appeared and I didn't want to wait until long after the air time.

It was interesting to see Daring Do react to the collateral damage she caused in her reckless pursuit of her foes and goals. I do wonder if retiring was going too far though. It was obvious her enemies were turning people against her, and for someone usually so wary it was odd to see Do want to just give up.

The story was good though. I'd seen screenshots of the sphinx and was a little disappointed it didn't come back to face off with Daring Do. What we got was great though.

Rainbow Dash, just fly up! They're only earth ponies! Guh... it seems Spike isn't the only one on stupid pills this season. I never thought I'd see Rainbow Dash as a Damsel in Distress. She did amazingly little that was actually helpful this episode, which is odd.

Trust Pinkie to try a leap of faith. It reminds me of the one Twilight did back in Season 1 after Pinkie's urging. It was resolved in a similar fashion too, with something bouncing them across the pit.

Give it up Doctor Evil. These townsfolk have seen through your ruse now. I do hope we see Ahuizotl or another cool villain in the next Do ep, this Doctor villain is surprisingly tame. He'd be good as a lackey but not the main villain. Robbery of valuable but safe minerals isn't going to end Equestria or anything.

I did enjoy this episode despite some of its drawbacks. It's also nice to see Dashie and Pinkie after quite a number of Starlight Glimmer appearances.

10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Like many others it seems, I'd put this in the "entertaining but not amazing" category.

I liked Somnambula and the stylised, vaguely pyramid-wall-style animation of parts of her legend. Also the sphinx was fun, and it's always nice to see some new parts of Equestria. On the downside: it was really obvious that Caballeron was under that hood and those vents just appeared out of nowhere -- there was no clue that the ponies had noticed anything until that point. I don't so much mind Rainbow not flying away, as stress does stop you thinking straight sometimes. Pinkie I liked -- no, she didn't have to be there, but I thought she was useful in calming Dash down a bit at times. Daring Do herself was okay, not spectacular and not terrible. She did a job. This is likely to be a three-star episode when I review it properly.

11. Candy Yunagi

Not bad…

Just another Daring Do episode, really. I’m not a massive fan of those, especially since the stories were no longer fictional. Still, it certainly wasn’t terrible, and I think Pinkie was really quite good here. The story about Somnambula was my favourite part, it felt more characteristic of the show than most of this episode, actually. I was a little surprised we didn’t get a metaphor for FiM eventually ending, since it wouldn’t have been the first time that analogy could be found. Still, it was enjoyable enough to watch.

12. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

Daring Do really ought to get a spinoff (and a comic and I really ought to read the books).

You'd think Pinkie wouldn't be big on the newspaper.

Fillydelphia is just now clearing up that parasprite infestation? Man, they should have just grabbed Pinkie to fix it years ago.

A.K. Yearling really looks depressed. That doesn't sound like the Daring we know.

Oh come on, Daring, you've saved Equestria and the world how many times? A little collateral damage is totally okay.

I wonder how close southern Equestria is to Saddle Arabia.

And there's Caballeron, spreading lies and misinformation.

"Weird floppy thing on his tail". A hand is a "weird floppy thing?"

I'm digging this art/animation style going on during the legend.

Somnambula sounds like a pretty awesome pony to have around.

Come on, Dashie, you're a mare of action who won't go down without a fight. Resist him.

Pinkie and her leaps of faith.

There we go. There's the daring mare we all know and love.

So we've got 4 legends now. I wonder if this will come into play later on.

13. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

The books really aren't bad.
    Comic line's a good idea, someone get IDW onto that for after Legends of Magic winds up.

14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Hmm. An OK episode.

The hieroglyphic style legend sequence and the Sphynx were by far the highlights in my view. I'm normally quite a big Daring Do fan, but apart from the new locations and world building, this story didn't do much for me. Pinkie was fun, but I thought the writing of Rainbow's character was kinda iffy (sorry Gillian).

15. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Another vote for "Not bad, but not world changing" here

I'm not a massive fan of the whole "Daring Do is real" thing, but thought this worked OK here. I did initially think that it was ridiculous that nobody realised it was Caballeron under the hood, but on reflection, that's one of the staples of the 'Saturday matinee action/adventure' genre they were pastiching (well, pastiching Indiana Jones pastisching that genre...). And besides, as a Dr Who fan I was willing to suspend disbelief that the Master was never recognised in 70s episodes, despite not bothering to don any sort of disguise and giving himself pseudonyms that was very poorly disguised versions of "Master"...

One thing about GM Berrow is that she knows how to write Pinkie well. She always got her tone right in the books, and it was good to see this coming through again. Telling Dash to give AK space, for example, was a good instance of her being able to show Pinkie's caring side as well as her mania. RD as others have said, seemed slightly off though.

Finally, it was nice to see more world building after last week. Both the myth animation and the scenes in the temple seemed to be especially well animated to me.

So, certainly an improvement over the last Berrow episode, but it's not going to be a high point of the season for me.[\spoiler]

Edit - Typing on an iPad did not end well...

#15 Aldersgate, 10 September 2017
    Last edited: 11 September 2017
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  16. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Interesting fact time! Mrs. Trotsworth (the innkeeper) is voiced by Janyse Jaud, who was the voice of Pinkie Pie in S3!

17. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Not going to lie here, I really was not expecting Calballeron being under the cape. Really, he didn't cross my mind at all. Cool little twist. Really did enjoy the episode, I had fun with this one after that twist. The first half, I just felt bad for A.K., Rainbow, and Pinkie. I did laugh when it took a good couple of seconds for the news to sink in for Rainbow Dash. XD

18. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

One of the headlines in this paper is going to be AK Yearling quitting.... aaaand called it
    The old pony looks a lot like Grandpear
    Ah the one thing in the darkness riddle... hope! Knew it!
    Aww, making Dashie cry
    They tied her up but didn't tie her mouth? Amateur hour!
    A leap of faith... okay that was lucky!

Cool.. not much to say about it, but pretty decent aside from the deus ex "leap of faith" thing.

19. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

As much as I like the Daring Do episodes this was not as good as the other ones but it wasn't necessarily bad either. And as far I was concerned it was a decent enough watch for me I did think Dr Caballeron was a bit of a dead give away, Pinkie Pie was noticeably the one with the common sense in this episode and was pretty good in this. I defiantly think the Sphinx as well as Somnambula were the highlights of this episode I mean look at that animation for that sequence only it was very effective. Rainbow Dash was a bit off in terms of characterisation but to be fair we all panic under stress. Like I said decent enough watch but the best of the Daring Do episodes for me.