1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 20 - A Health of Information

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 18 September 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    18 September 2017 (Russia) / 23 September 2017 (Discovery Family)

Writer: Sammie Crowley & Whitney Wetta

Synopsis: "While helping Fluttershy gather supplies, Zecora comes down with a terrible disease called “Swamp Fever". Even though a cure has not been discovered, Fluttershy makes it her mission to heal Zecora no matter what it takes."

Two Zecora episodes in a row! This time, she's paired up with Fluttershy -- a team I'm surprised we haven't seen more often, though they did share an IDW Friends Forever comic. This episode was aired early (today) in Russia, so we know the writers: the same team who brought us "A Flurry of Emotions". I haven't seen the early release -- I think it's Russian-language only anyway. The synopsis reminds me a little bit of "A Bird in the Hoof", what with Fluttershy trying what she can to heal someone, but this sounds like a more dangerous challenge than that was. Please be extra careful about spoilers given the Russian early release, but it's discussion time! :)

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you. :)

2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Waiting to watch it, particularly because I don't speak Russian, but I have seen a few screencaps...

Twilight apparently does an excellent derp face in the episode and I'm really curious to see that in context. :p

Good to see Fluttershy get an episode though, we haven't really seen much of her this season. :)

3. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well for the second week in row I managed to watch the live stream. And my thoughts on it?
    To be honest I'm not sure how to rate this as it was watchable, but it felt very average to me I may need to watch again to give my two cents about it. This episode was yet another plug for the IDW series.

4. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

Well, this episode escalated quickly.
    So, is 'the Last of Us' now cannon in the MLP universe. That is really dark. After seeing Fluttershy in 'Fame and Misfortune', I didn't think that Fluttershy could get any more assertive. This episode brought it up to whole new level. This really does show how far Fluttershy has come since series one. I don't think we can no longer see her as the shy mare in the group.

5. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Not the greatest episode, but enjoyable. :)

NON-STICK PANS! :p

Mostly it was nice to have an episode with two ponies that haven't really had very much time to shine this season. :) And Fluttershy has certainly gotten assertive too.

Zecora didn't rhyme? *gasp* :eek:

I actually saw a picture this week of Twilight baking with flour in her mane and on her horn, I totally didn't realise it was in reference to this episode. :p

6. sten whik

sten whik Space

9/10
    Once again well written and overall very enjoyable.
    "I'd like to be a tree"
    [​IMG]
    This episode demonstrates how to effectively turn memes (Fluttertree, Flutterbee) into an interesting plot without being too obvious about it.

Thought it was a bit weird to have Twilight have a problem with more reading but then I realised she's definitely learnt restraint by now much like Fluttershy just did.

7. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Really good, I thought!

I was a bit concerned when I heard (beforehand) that this was to be an "assertive Fluttershy" episode. I do worry sometimes that if they make Fluttershy too assertive as part of character development you'll lose the essence of her character. But no worries here, I think this is an example of how to do it right! You still have kindness as her underlying motivation, but kindness here is used as the source of her strength, which it is. Only one criticism is that Twilight, if only by contrast, did come off as a little bit heartless that she didn't have such an obvious level of motivation to help Zecora... but then it's almost as if Fluttershy played more of Twilight's typical role in this episode.

The episode is kind of dark - but in a good way - in that the predicament got me thinking about how Zecora really could die as a result of this. As a result I could really feel Fluttershy's emotion of how much she wanted to save her.

The Fluttershy fan in me really wanted her to be able to talk to the bees and get the honey that way, because that would've been really cool! But even so it was a great Fluttershy episode, one of the best we've seen of her in a while.

8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

That was excellent.

I love a good Fluttershy episode, and that was a good Fluttershy episode. Good moral, good character choices (love both the Fluttershy/ Twilight and the Fluttershy/ Zecora dynamics), good callbacks (to both "Stare Master" and to Mage Meadowbrook fwho was mentioned before in "The Cutie Map"), great new location, great new creature design with the Flash Bees. I love the fact that it was an adventure heavy story, with a very solid setup. Good pacing thoughout as well; it didn't drag and it had time for great jokes and dialogue along the way.

My only one teeny tiny complaint was that the consequences of Fluttershy not stopping to take care of herself weren't made as obvious as they should have been. We needed a stronger consequence for Fluttershy losing three days. As it is all we get is "Zecora's got worse", and we already know she's getting worse all the time, so that didn't really hit home. It made the "if only I'd been taking care of myself properly we could have found the cure sooner" bit fall a bit flat.

Other than that, really enjoyable episode. Most fun I've had with an episode for several weeks.

Candy Yunagi and Mane25 like this.
  9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Not the best
    A bit of a meh episode, nothing to great plus healer women seems the most boring of the Ancient Equestrian hero's

10. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Good to have more old gens callbacks 10/10

11. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I actually really liked this one.

It’s always great to see more Zecora, even if we didn’t get a whole episode of her. I really liked how Fluttershy was handled throughout, still a little of the politeness/timidness, but equally refusing to give up. It was understandable, but there was also a little stubbornness I don’t think we’ve seen in her before. Though I did think it was a little weird that her stare didn’t work on the Flash Bees. Somehow, they’re too aggressive, but a cockatrice isn’t? Still, really good episode with quite a nice moral. It did occur to me that, Twilight’s always looked up to Starswirl as a legendary sorcerer, and Fluttershy (kinda) learns of a legendary healer here. So what if others have or will discover other similar figures? Unless you count Campfire Tales as having already covered that. In which case, it’s just Pinkie :p.

Cloudane likes this.
  12. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Hey, more Zecora

Hanging from one's tail like that can't be comfortable.

She doesn't look too bad with a wet mane.

Drums for a ticker can't be healthy.

Nor coughing up bubbles.

That's a pretty horrifying disease. Pretty dark, too.

I wonder how they even got into that bake-off.

I wonder if we'll ever see Old Ponish. Is English Ponish?

I wonder if Fluttershy's research is gonna get published.

Electric sneeze needs to be a band name.

So is living in a tree Twilight's thing?

I wonder if Twi will send for all these notes and catalog/copy them.

A whole town turned to trees. That's pretty awful.

At least a cure was discovered. She'll have to remember to note it when they get back.

Flutters seems to be slightly less crazed than when she was dealing with Philomena back in the day.

I wonder if the disease is sapping her animal speak and stare.

I wonder what they tried that he won't speak of.

Pretty good adventure story.

Cloudane likes this.
  13. Recurrent Trotting

I met a colt today
    he pulled my mane so I put a frog on his head. - Twilight, reading from Meadowbrook's journal

Tara reads that line so friggin well :D

14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Another pretty good episode with some nice character moments and world building, even if there was nothing particularly spectacular. That seems to be the general trend at the moment; better than just 'meh', but not amazing.

Similar to Discorded Harmony, I'm glad this wasn't focusing on Fluttershy's assertiveness - that's really been done to death already (as demonstrated by Fluttershy Leans In). She was actually very entertaining to watch here. The lesson about looking after yourself was very welcome. The Meadowbrook flashback was also pretty cool. And more Zecora so soon!

15. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I enjoyed this one a good deal.

Surprisingly dark if you stop to think about it -- a disease that ends with you turned into a tree, with no known cure, is a pretty scary thought and there are several potential Fridge Horror moments there. (The trees with "faces" where Pinkie giggled at the ghostly all those years ago? Maybe... :eek:) Fluttershy was generally excellent, in a way that recalled "A Bird in the Hoof" (an underrated ep IMO) back in S1. I wasn't sure about "Mind over matter" -- it doesn't sound very 'Shy, and maybe it would have helped if Zecora had brought up the phrase to FS first. Great to hear some details about Meadowbrook, too. As for the character interplay, once they'd left Zecora in bed, it felt very like a Flutters/Twi map episode, and one I liked more than "The Hooffields and McColts" from S5. So, a few little niggles here and there, but overall I found this pretty good.

Cloudane likes this.
  16. ponePete

ponePete Well-Known Pony

Perhaps in normal circumstances she would have been able to talk to the bees, but I imagine the swamp fever diminished her ability as it did Zecora's instinctive rhyming

I really enjoyed the episode, switching leadership roles, educating oneself to help others, lots of new scenery :)

Mane25 likes this.
  17. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Nice enjoyable episode.

That Mariee Devereux (VA for Meadowbrook) has an adorable cajun belle voice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robshi and Cendaquenta like this.
  18. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That probably played a factor, but the way I interpreted it was that she was mostly just worn out from the lack of sleep.

@finalsight - Either it was a different Meadowbrook, or (more likely) the writer didn't do their homework.

19. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well, Southern Equestria was already described this season as the place they visited in Daring Done. Meadowbrook was from Hayseed Swamp which is in the east going by the Equestria map.

sten whik and Oilyvalves like this.
  20. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

I wonder if it was demonstrating just how aggressive the bees were - that any usual techniques (include FS's talent) simply wouldn't work (which would also explain why Meadowbrook struggled). I solution seems more logical though!