1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 21 - Marks and Recreation

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 29 September 2017.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Overly excited CMCs by FrownFactory
    Air Date: 30th September 2017

Synopsis: Wanting to help as many blank flanks as possible, the CMCs start a Cutie Mark Day Camp, but are surprised when one of their campers doesn't want a cutie mark.

Sorry, we're a bit later than normal with the thread for this one, but there's still a day to go before the episode. :)

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after the episode has aired.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Written by May Chan -- her second episode for the show, after "Not Asking for Trouble".

Will be back with a review later, but one-line summary:
    quite interesting, some nice touches, not a classic but quite good. Rumble's song was pretty good and Thunderlane got some actual character.

3. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Great episode.

It does raise an interesting question about whether it’s possible for a pony to never get a cutie mark, or whether fate always has them earn it eventually. I liked how Rumble didn’t actually have bad intentions, just acted out of fear. I was a bit surprised that the CMC didn’t pick up on the fact that he was deliberately “failing” everything; it would have made more sense either if he was more convincing or they’d noticed. I was also quite surprised at how easily the others followed him, but perhaps they were already a little insecure about that in the backs of their minds. I found it quite interesting how haiku pony (can’t remember her name) started doing that instinctively. It makes me wonder if Zecora’s rhyming is also linked to her cutie mark. It would explain why she stopped rhyming and why Fluttershy lost her touch with the flash bees when they got swamp fever, if it makes the sufferer lose their cutie mark talent. It was also nice to get to know another Wonderbolt a bit better, although I was a little surprised we didn’t see Rainbow Dash make a cameo. Speaking of which, if they all take turns cooking at Wonderbolt HQ, I have to wonder how Rainbow Dash cooks. If she does it well, that would be another interesting side to her. I kinda thought “blank flank” was derogatory, but maybe it depends on how it’s said. I also thought it was great that the episode didn’t end with Rumble getting a cutie mark. That he was just trying the first thing of many.

CuldeeFell, Mane25 and Cendaquenta like this.
  4. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

TREASON!!!
    I did like this episode but I do have to ask, where is Diamond Tiara when you need her. OK so she's meant to be good now but surely she can use her powers of manipulation.

5. Bridle Timeout

Pretty good episode. :)

I liked Thunderlane and Rumble in this one, and it was nice to see some male characters (other than Spike) get some attention for a change. It seemed like Thunderlane was a bit too eager to have Rumble attend the camp, considering the latter's lack of interest, but it turned out that he was just looking out for him and wanted him to try different things, which I thought was sweet. :)

6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Yeah, fun I guess.
    Kettle Corn and her circles were adorable. (Side note, I thought Sweetie said "candle making" instead of "jam making" at one point, so kinda assumed KC ate wax off her hoof. Umm.)

Isn't "blank flank" a slur...? Or are they just reclaiming it? :p

I thought Rumble was in the right initially, not having or wanting a cutie mark is totally valid. Like Candy Yunagi said, I'm glad he didn't get a mark in the end, it would've ended up sending a bit of a creepy "You Must Conform" message. Nice to see the kid get character development, he hasn't been around since season 2... wow...

In the minority here, I didn't like the song.

Cloudane likes this.
  7. Bridle Timeout

It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't a fan of it either.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  8. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well it's official
    Thunderlane is officially a Wonderbolt (yes I know he seen in a uniform in a earlier episode). As for the episode itself? I enjoyed it, not the best episode of the season, but it was a lot of fun. It also seems that Pipsqueaks voice actors voice is starting to break. And out of curiosity does Rumble have a twin brother called Frenzy? (please someone get that reference!) This episode is third time this season (out of four in the entire series) that the Mane six fail to make an appearance. 7/10 from me.

9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Slight expansion of my earlier post...

I'll go slightly against the grain and say that I really enjoyed the song. It harked back to the musical-inspired songs we got in the early seasons, with a pretty strong West Side Story feel to it. On the downside, like several others I'm a bit iffy about the CMC using "blank flank" so casually, given the context of that term in the past. Thunderlane was quite fun, and it was nice to see Rumble get a full speaking role for the first time in years. It was a tad disappointing that Diamond Tiara was nowhere to be seen, though. All in all, another of the "fairly entertaining filler" episodes we tend to get in the run-up to a season finale. So good, but not amazing.

10. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

OK episode
    OK nothing wow, but being a CMC episode its wise not to expected to much. Nice to see the Wonderbolt team expanding though.

11. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK, interesting...

If anything this episode goes right back to Call of the Cutie, the scene at the end when the CMC first meet, they talk about the potential they have to be anything they want, Twilight says to Diamond Tiara "They still get to experience the thrill of discovering who they are, and what they're meant to be." It's not as if the CMC ever took that message to heart, of course! But that opened up the question from the start about the advantages of not having a cutie mark vs being 'put in a box' - something that the show has never really dealt with since, until now.

My only major complaint about this episode is that I would have hoped the CMC would have learnt that by now with all their character development, that they would now understand and appreciate the advantages of not rushing to get a cutie mark, and guide other ponies on their journey rather than focusing solely on the goal (the mistake that they made initially). They seem quite immature here, as if their character development has been set back a few seasons.

On the other hand though, another way of looking at it would be that they were encouraging other ponies to share the fun that they had searching for their cutie marks, and it sounds like I've contradicted myself there but I guess it depends on how seriously you take the whole premise.

It may be one of the lesser CMC episodes, but the standard for CMC episodes is very high.

One last thought: I think you've got to say at this stage that getting a cutie mark is inherently a good thing, that everypony is destined to get one, and that everypony gets the cutie mark at least that will most benefit them through their lives (you won't get a cutie mark that you don't like, or at least not learn to like, or one that would be a burden, in other words). I say that because it would invalidate so much canon if that weren't true. So while Kettle Corn liked painting circles and is very good at it (which I thought was hilarious by the way!) it couldn't be a special talent that would benefit her in the long run.

vcgriffin likes this.
  12. Steamworks

Steamworks Active Pony

Welp, late getting to this one, but let's see.

Circle painting is pretty curious.

Was kind of hoping the camp would be at Sweet Apple Acres without AJ's knowledge or permission.

Have we even heard Thunderlane speak before?

I think his voice makes him less cute.

Can we just admire the absurdity of horseshoe tossing? Like, imagine humans tossing regular shoes at sticks.

Rumble is throwing. I wonder if that wordplay was intentional.

Haiku cutie mark. A poet is born. That's also pretty specific.

I wonder what a forever blank flank would even mean.

Rumble sounds a lot like the people really against labels.

I wonder if Rumble's singing VA is the same guy they tapped for "Last Year I Got Coal for Christmas".

So, like, Rumble is gonna be Starlight in the future? Are we seeing the birth of a cult?

I wonder if a cutie mark is inevitable. A lot of them seem like you'd eventually have a go at something related to your talent and get it.

I think Rumble has that same idea with his ban on potential cutie mark activities.

Now that the CMC have brought in one celebrity, they're gonna have to bring in more. I'm not sure the foals will be as hype about a lecture from Twilight.

Cloudane likes this.
  13. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I was going to make the same comment but couldn't think of the name - the song reminded me of that song in terms of style.

14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Yes it's the same person, Vincent Tong, singing in both cases. And add me to the list of people who were instantly reminded of LYIGCFC when this episode's song started.

As for the episode overall, quite nice but not especially memorable. There's a certain sense in which most ideas for episodes have already been done at this point and a pony who doesn't want to get a cutie mark is just the latest twist on a formula that's previously given us a pony who doesn't like his cutie mark (Trouble Shoes)and a griffin who wants a cutie mark (Gabby). It was a fun episode though, so no real complaints. It's just getting increasingly easy to feel that there are very few new stories that the show can tell.

Best joke in this episode: "Blank flanks, no more potential cutie mark activities!"
    [​IMG]

Kettle Corn carries on painting circles.

Robshi likes this.
  15. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Don't know if anyone remembers that MLP Christmas album, is it me or Rumble sounded like Pop Fly singing "Last Year I've Got Coal For Christmas?" o_O

Who knew Starlight Glimmer had a family member. I mean a pony who hated the idea of cutie marks. I couldn't help but think the haiku pony (can't remember if they mentioned her name or not) didn't get that she could still enjoy painting circles even if her cutie mark was different than Rumble.

Rumble realized he
    Can do things he likes doing
    Thank you Thunderlane

Good CMC episode. Did I mention haiku pony was cute?

Cloudane likes this.
  16. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

One of my favorites so far this season.

17. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I will say enjoyed this episode not as strong as other episodes but decent nonetheless. I liked how Thunderlane was given more characterisation and the fact that he send his brother to the camp because he wanted him to join the camp so he would learn something new which I found was nice. I thought the song's okay it's not something to write home about and it does it's job for the episode it was in, haiku pony is so cute. It's an entertaining filler episode, nothing more, nothing less.

18. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Marks and Recreation. Is this some kind of supermarket Rarity shops at?

• Cutie Mark Daycamp? Upgrade time! They're really building character destiny stuff.
    • Nice gag getting the CMCs NOT getting a shout in sync for once :p
    • Do we have our first blank flank who wants to stay blank? He seems a brat. I can see why he has the "sulky teenager" voice
    • Ooh doesn't it make ya proud the CMCs helping somepony get their mark. Dem Haikus tho
    • Circle painting is an odd obsession
    • Force you to do one thing your whole life - that's a fair concern actually
    • This singing voice.... hey waitaminute! This kid's gonna get COAL for Christmas!
    • This blank flank "stay free" thing.... actually seems a good idea?
    • Sweetie should respond like "I'll put you in a special box sunshine..."

Sweet little story, if a little uncertain what it's trying to teach! Put yourself in a box after all, but you don't have to always be in that box? *shrug*

Not bad not bad. Another one that's not earth shattering but of the season 1/7 blend that they're doing a lot of.

19. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Catching up on my Tiny Pop recordings again.

This was brilliant. It actually addresses more about how exactly cutie marks 'work' too I guess. I can understand the fear of being put into one box and it was nice to see more of Thunderlane.

Song was nice too.

20. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was a solid episode. It was interesting to see a pony so against getting a cutie mark, even if it was because he was determined to get his cutie mark in Wonderbolt style flying and nothing else rather than being against Cutie marks. I'm surprised the CMC didn't suspect Rumble was deliberately failing his activities though. He just dropped the horse shoe for Celestia's sake!

I love how Sweetie Belle says they should stay calm before then immediately losing her temper with Rumble. I also laughed a lot at the joke someone else pointed out with Kettle Corn continuing to paint circles when Rumble says to stop Cutie Mark activities.

A pretty fun ep, and I've finally commented on all the Season 7 episodes. Remember, keep calm and paint circles.

CuldeeFell and Blissful690 like this.