1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 22 - Once Upon A Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Bridle Timeout, 2 October 2017.

1. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

[​IMG]
    Boxing Day by bobthedalek
    Air Date: 7th October 2017

Synopsis: Twilight is torn when she discovers the cruise she and her family are on is a themed vacation experience in which ponies have paid for the privilege of spending time with her, and she must please both her family and the cruise attendees.

For obvious reasons, I've really been looking forward to this episode ever since the synopsis was released. :D

I think it will be interesting to learn more about Shiny and Twilight's parents, but I really hope this episode doesn't make the mistake that I think "Fame and Misfortune" made by getting overly "meta" with the portrayal of the fan-ponies.

Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate until 24 hours after the episode has aired. :)

Edit: Thread title changed to use the correct spelling of "zeppelin" :p

#1 Bridle Timeout, 2 October 2017
    Last edited: 7 October 2017
  2. sten whik

sten whik Space

8.5/10
    Dawwww Spike technically did a coup.
    In general everything in this episode was adorable.
    Even the creepy fans.

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

S7 continues its record of having plenty of good episodes!

I am really impressed, given how much has got out early this year, that they managed to keep Iron Will's participation a total surprise. A slight shame he returned in an episode without Fluttershy -- it would have been interesting to see how S7 'Shy handled him. Still, he was good fun. Some quite emotional moments in there, notably Twilight's tears at missing the Northern Stars. That was actually quite hard to watch. (A shame the writer doesn't seem to know the difference between "astrological" and "astronomical", though!) Some fun stuff with Twi's family, and Shining's airsickness and him refusing to admit it was funny. Slightly odd having a new voice for Velvet (it was Tara Strong in the past) but I got used to it. Startracker got off a bit lightly, I think. I'm not sure I can blame Twilight for kicking him in the circumstances. I guess you could see this as another dig at the fandom, but I didn't really feel that in the way I did with "Fame and Misfortune". Overall, a very good episode. :)

The episode was written by a new name, btw: Brittany Jo Flores.

4. Candy Yunagi

Best Twilight episode in quite a while…

I actually thought Spike should’ve gone with them, since Twilight was right, he is as much a part of her family as the others. It would’ve been nice to see the royal sisters as well, as unless I’m remembering wrong, they’re Cadence’s aunts, and it would’ve given Iron Will even more reason to shout about having princesses. Still, they probably really would have no time to spare for such things. It was a great surprise to see Iron Will again, and as an antagonist for a second time. Like before, he wasn’t completely immoral, but he did put business before all else. It was also nice to have a little more development for Twilight’s parents. Even if it wasn’t much, it does feel like having got to know them a bit better. And as I said before, I don’t like babies, but I did enjoy seeing Flurry stacking the other infants on top of each other…

I’m not sure if we’ve seen Twilight give something up like that before. I feel like we have, but I can’t quite remember. I am pretty sure we’ve never seen her snap like that before. At least not out of frustration and anger, rather than stress. It was really nice to see Cadence acting as a big sister to her, as well. Haven’t seen that in a while. I thought the “moral” was a bit too close to that of A Health of Information, though…

5. Bridle Timeout

Best episode of the season so far. I just finished watching it, and already I want to watch it again. :D

I really liked the opening scene. Well, in part it was because the other day when I watched the teaser, I looked at some of the comments on the video and someone was complaining that Spike wasn't on the cruise and saying that it was going to be a bad episode. (Nice judgement from a 14-second clip. :p ) It was really nice that Twilight insisted that he should come, because I do agree with her, Spike is a part of her family. It was also really nice of Spike to stay behind though, and take on her duties so she could get some needed rest. That's some quality Spike right there... selfless and helpful. :)

I loved the design of the zeppelin, and the fact that the cruise was on a zeppelin as well. :p I just think zeppelins are really cool, and I've always liked the "old fashioned" things that they put in the show sometimes.

When I heard the announcer, I thought "that sounds like Iron Will" and I was right. :p

It was great to get some development for Twilight's parents. They were both great. :D

Poor Shiny though... He spent most of the episode sick. :p "I'm flying! ... I'm flying!.... *urp*" :p

Creepy factor went up a lot when that pony that won the chance to spend the day with Twilight was seemingly always right next to her. ;)

Flurry was really adorable. I love the bit when she stacked the foals. :p

It truly broke my heart to see Twi's reaction to missing the Northern Stars. :( Even if it was wrong, I can understand why she got so angry and blew up at everyone. The conversation that Twi had with Cadance was very sweet, as was the scene where she apologised for accidentally kicking Star Tracker's shin, not to mention inviting him along as an honorary family member. Poor Twi just wanted to make everyone happy, but she ended up getting totally miserable in the process.

It was cute how Twi's family re-created the Northern Stars in the form of a play though... even Shiny participated, despite being totally not sick. :p

I liked the fact that when Twi stood up for herself and said that she just wanted to spend some time relaxing with her family for the rest of the cruise, the fan ponies understood and also realised Iron Will's little ruse.

I loved the bit when Iron Will shouted "No refunds!" as he jumped off the deck. :p

Yes, the moral is a bit similar to "A Health of Information", but it's not the first time more than one episode has had a similar moral.

But yeah, I really can't express enough how much I loved this episode. Definitely a favourite. :)

Mane25 likes this.
  6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Took notes as I was watching. Maybe a few too many.
    • "You're as much a part of my family as anyone else, Spike!" Awww, the writers gave Spike, and his closeness with Twilight, credit for a second! ... And now he's been unceremoniously thrown out of the episode. Again.
    • Wouldn't Twi already know that story about her parents' last holiday...?
    • Hi Iron Will!
    • Ah, she gets the OCD from her dad. Cool.
    • Neigh-agara Falls :D (Wasn't that a fanon thing?)
    • Wait, Twi is excited about going to the Frozen North to see these star thingies. ... Isn't the Crystal Empire in the Frozen North and thus she could go visit and see them anytime? Which also makes Cadance and Shiny's enthusiasm about it confusing...
    • OH WOW THAT CADANCE-COSPLAYER FOAL IS TERRIFYING
    • I like that the ep is reinforcing the importance of reading small print.
    • Iron Will didn't constantly call himself and everybody else by full name in his previous appearance, did he? Feel like he's been slightly flanderized.
    • Flurry's a cute lil' booger.
    • Okay, that raffle prize is definitely something that needs Twi's in-person informed consent. That is way out of line in so very many ways.
    • So... what's Star Tracker's special talent? Is he an astronomer? Or does he literally walk on stars... somehow?
    • Oh dear. Star Tracker, please don't be a creepy fanboy character...
    • Heh, Iron Will grabbing the lifejacket and giving Twi the flag. I don't think we've seen that with the telekinesis before, interesting.
    • Star Tracker is going to be the creepy fanboy character.
    • Tower of baby ponies was dawwwwwwwww.
    • The cowboy hat has magical making-horns-disappear properties, I see.
    • the wing wave
    • Even Flurry goes :eek: at Twi dismissing schedules. :D
    Uh, yeah, that was a really good ep. Although the staff seem to be taking a lot of pot-shots at fandom this season - don't know if I agree with that. Of course they're perfectly entitled to have opinions about us, and to express them, but dragging them into the show itself is going a bit far.

Mane25 likes this.
  7. Solar Wind

Solar Wind The Thomas fandom is going to explode

NO REFUNDS!
    To have an episode with Iron Will in it, considering we have not seen him since 2012, it is rather odd. I do love the way how he exits though. He just goes "Learned my lesson already. I'm out before you can complain'. I was watching the livestream and someone pointed out that he was like Grunkle Stan. When Iron pulls out the contract talking about the small print and no refunds and his over the top exit, it really seemed like he was there. Also, is Iron Will now a Villain. If he is, it does make a nice change considering that almost all the previous MLP villains (and possibly 1 more next series) it is nice to have one turn bad. Or at the very least greedy. We all know what the fandom wants now. Let me just make a list quick to see if the message comes across.

Pinkie's parents are Amish.
    Applejack's are dead (probably).
    Fluttershy's are more shy then her.
    Rainbow Dash's are obsessed with her.
    Twilight's mother is going through a mid-life crisis and her father OCD and entering old age.
    Rarity's...

Seriously, How did Rarity's personality come from a layabout father and a diner waitress mother. I NEED TO KNOW!

8. Bridle Timeout

I didn't just watch this episode again.

I totally just watched this episode again. :D

ponePete and Robshi like this.
  9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow. This was an amazing episode.

I managed to recognise Iron Will's voice from the speakers, and smiled when he was revealed. I also realised from an earlier comment here that he's gone from always referring to himself in the third person to calling everyone by name every time, including himself. I guess he thinks it makes him sound friendlier, even though it really doesn't.

I really empathised with Twilight throughout most of the episode, which really added to my enjoyment of it. I did like how she used her wing feathers to try and comfort Star Tracker near the end, that gesture was a nice touch. As for Star Tracker, I liked him. He was a more naturally shy pony unsure how to act with his idol in front of him, which was better to see than some of the fans in Fame and Misfortune.

The quality of episodes just seems to be getting better and better this season. I can't wait for the rest of this season and the movie. Gah! HYPE! :D

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  10. Cendaquenta

Ohhhh, I just realized something.
    Star Tracker - star as in celebrity. A little on-the-nose, perhaps. And it's something of a pun on Star Trekker, the original crazy fandom. Lot of clever layers in this guy's name.

Mane25, Bridle Timeout and Robshi like this.
  11. sten whik

sten whik Space

Huh, and there was me thinking it's because of Twilight's cutie mark. :p

Bridle Timeout likes this.
  12. Bridle Timeout

I got the same impression from him, and agree with you about the fans from "Fame and Misfortune". :)

Honestly, if I were suddenly placed near Twilight, I would most likely be all nervous and over-excited too. :p

Robshi likes this.
  13. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

Zeppelins are cool

You'd think they'd have some sort of warning thing for Spike deliveries.

Hasn't it been dangerous leaving Spike in charge before?

I'm really hoping we see more airships/zeppelins in the future.

Shining loves tiny things? Sounds risky with how big he is.

Seems like Mama Twilight needs some more risk in her life. Did she pick that up due to the events at the wedding?

And the fanponies.

I don't recall Twi running into Iron Will before.

I can see why Star Tracker is such a fan of the Princess of Friendship. Maybe he can be less...awkward...after some friendship lessons.

TwiMom probably needs to get out more. Maybe take up cheering with Windy Whistles or something.

Oh hey, it's the Bronycon line for Tara Strong, except about 120 million ponies shorter.

And a Twi snap. At least this one didn't involve most of the town being controlled by a runaway spell.

Cadance bits like this is what I've been wanting forever. Pretty apparent early on that Cadance had mad princess advice to dish on Twi, but we've not seen much of it yet.

I wonder how long Iron Will had been planning that escape.

14. Cendaquenta

*imagines a Skype-esque "boop-boop-boop-bdoop-boop"*
    Heh. Skype. Spyke.

15. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse (not) Flawless

crepascular/10 such Twi, very sparkle, much purple horse :3
    how does this show continue to feel so fresh eh? This was a new message, a new scene and new fleshed out characters. None of it was rushed or superficial and it all fitted into the established canon. This ep was so friggin satisfying as a fan of this show... eps like this explain why I'm still a fan of the series :3 (being a brony is separate)

anywooves I was misty eyed at the moments Twi cried and 'awwed' along with the family bonding moments. Irony shield was pierced so many times by this ep it might as well be a cheese grater :p

very minor criticism is the limited role Cadance/Shiney had. Neither character offered much in this story.

16. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Recognised Pony

That was worth waiting for.

17. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Good episode, bad stream =p
    Fun episode, nice to see more of Twilights parents. Felt it was weird how they just shoehorned Iron will into it for the sake of having him there, much like the film and flam hotel episode, also how did the zeppelin get home safe without the captain after iron will left =p

18. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Since most things in my life are filteted through Doctor Who, this brings to mind something Russell T. Davies said when he was talking about returning characters. He argued that a character shouldn't be brought back just for the sake of seeing them again, but that if your story needed a character who already shared similar traits anyway then it made things more enjoyable for the audience to use someone they were already familiar with. I'd avoided spoilers, so didn't suspect Iron Will would be coming back at all, but he made good sense for the plot, so was happy to see him (and the goats!). No idea how the zepplin landed without him, but the parachute gag was one of my favourites.

As for the episode in general, I really enjoyed it. So good to see Twilight focused on again. While I agree that Cadence and Shiny didn't have a lot to do, I felt their presence was crucial in establishing the way in which Twi felt responsible for her wider family (and for explaining the marketing of a 'Princess' cruise.

Also, the total lack of protection around two of the princesses exposes some pretty serious Equestrian security issues. I suppose it explains why Luna and Celestia get abducted about once a season...[\spoiler]

Robshi, ponePete and Cendaquenta like this.
  19. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

A little late to the party with my opinion of this. So how was this one?
    Really good to be honest. It was good to see Iron Will return as it took me be surprise, as it did everyone else. It's nice to see Twilight having an episode were she isn't with Starlight, and boy it was upsetting when she was crying after missing the event she wanted to attend. Shining Armour's running gag of suffering from travel sickness was funny and wasn't overused. And Twilight's parents were great as well. This gets a 8.5/10 from me.

20. Bridle Timeout

Although my opinion of Starlight has improved considerably since the middle of Season 6, I do have to agree with what some people have said. It was nice for Twilight to get an episode that didn’t also involve Starlight.

I know the season isn’t over yet, but I think this episode has a safe spot at the top of my rankings for S7, and is one of two S7 episodes that’s probably in my top 10 for the show overall. :)