1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 23 - Secrets and Pies

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 12 October 2017 at 3:32pm.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Air date:
    14 October 2017

Writer: Josh Hamilton

Synopsis: "When Pinkie Pie thinks she sees Rainbow Dash throw away one of her pies, she suspects the worst - that Rainbow Dash secretly hates her pies; Pinkie Pie attempts to catch Rainbow Dash in her web of lies."

This episode was leaked a little while back (which is why the writer is known), but it airs officially this Saturday. That synopsis feels about as filler-y as filler gets, and on the face of it, it does seem a bit of a stretch to make a 22-minute episode out of that setup... but perhaps the episode will surprise us. After all, Josh Hamilton has previously brought us "Parental Glideance" and "Triple Threat", both quite popular episodes -- how will he do this time? Feel free to discuss the episode below!

Please use spoiler-cuts until 24 hours after the episode has aired on Discovery Family. Thank you. :)

2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Not a whole lot of substance to this one.

The premise of this episode honestly could have been done in about 3 or 4 minutes. However, Pinkie did have some funny lines and facial expressions.

Also, I sighted Sky Stinger and Vapor Trail in the background in the first scene at Wonderbolts HQ. :D

Rainbow: "How about this? Your hugs are too tight..."
    Pinkie: "No, they're not." :p

3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Filler or not, it was a fun episode. :D Pinkie got plenty of laughs from me and it brightened my day as I would hope from a Pony episode. It's all very Season 2 I think but no bad thing. Favourite line, Pinkie "I'm not much of a blinker, don't mind me".

I wonder if there'll be any complaints that this episode promotes lying - I would argue that would be missing the point but I can imagine some might take it that way.
    10 characters

4. Streamline

Streamline New Pony

Loved this :D really made me smile this episode. It was a proper classic. Rainbow Dash was on form here with her sneaky pie shifting manouvres and some of the Pinkie Pie's facial expressions were hilarious (I no doubt expect a few memes will be genereated with those). Apple Jack's appearance added to the humour as she was completely oblivious as to what was going on. Nice feature for most of the mane 6.

Happy opposite day everypony. Whenever it is.

5. Loganberry

Quick thoughts:
    It was okay for me, though maybe it suffered a bit by comparison with the excellent "Once Upon a Zeppelin". I think my opinion is pretty much the same as Bridle Timeout's -- a fairly insubstantial ep on the whole, but with a few bright spots that made it worth seeing. Probably not one I'll rewatch very often, though.
    I hope not, too -- after all, lying in a good cause was a major feature of "Party of One" way back in S1. Given why Pinkie was lying this time, I don't think I find it particularly objectionable.

6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Wow, this is the kind of episode we need more of xD
    That was an amazing episode, very much like a classic early episode with its simple but fun plot. Pinkie was at her best. Love the batman pie scene change and the evil rainbow dash. How did Pinkie get such easy acsses to the Wonderbolts base though. I really like comedy based episodes like this.

#6 Wonderbolt, 14 October 2017 at 9:12pm
    Last edited: 15 October 2017 at 10:47am
  7. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Well, this looked liked filler...

But I really loved it - one of my favourites of the season. Lots of fun lines for Pinkie, her Sherlock-lite attempts to catch Dash were great. I loved the one sided dialogue with Gummy as well, and the discussion with AJ.

For those who watched Parks and Recreation, Pinkie's single minded obsession to prove herself right on a very minor matter really reminded me of Leslie Knope. All in all I was really impressed with the writing today.[\spoiler]

8. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Good comedy episode, plus the ending was super-cute. Enjoyed this one.
    Hey, the 'Bolts are still calling RD "Crash". Continuity!
    I like that Dash is so dedicated to getting rid of these pies that she has a hidden pie-disposal tube built into her house.
    "I have a very detailed pie-ling system." :D

9. Candy Yunagi

Yeah, that was good.

Another fun slice of life episode. Similar to Party of One in many ways, but also different enough to feel original. I don’t think Pinkie’s freaked out like this in a while, and it was good to see that while sad and dejected at the end, it wasn’t to the point of her mane and tail deflating. Again, we see how seriously she takes not only her baking, but also her bringing joy to others. Rainbow Dash was genuinely impressive, always resourceful enough to find a way to get rid of any pies she might be given at any moment. I feel that her going to such lengths to spare Pinkie’s feelings is another form of her loyalty, which, come to think of it has been a bit of a theme this season of further expanding their elements (Honest Apple for AJ, It Isn’t the Mane Thing About You for Rarity, A Health of Information for Fluttershy, Once Upon A Zeppelin for Twilight, and somewhere between Rock Solid Friendship, Not Asking for Trouble and this one for Pinkie). I kinda don’t understand why Twilight was so upset about Dash lying. I can understand “You should’ve told her the truth”, but her annoyance seemed just a little disproportionate. I can understand it more with Applejack, since she takes a real disliking to dishonesty in general. I did like the visual point Rainbow Dash made at the end, that while she maybe shouldn’t have lied, Pinkie shouldn’t expect her to eat something she really doesn’t wanna.

On a separate note, could the laser eyes be a PPG reference?

10. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

So this episode is simply pie filling?

Man, Dashie's only had 73 training sessions since joining the 'Bolts?

There are no brakes on the pie train!

I wonder why this pie dislike hadn't come up before.

Hey, it's the Pinkie Cave. Been a while since we've seen this place.

Of course Spitfire would take it pretty seriously.

Pinkie seems to be handling it well so far. She hasn't gone to Creepytown yet, just some screaming.

Nightmare Dash is pretty brutal. Splashing the remains of the pies on their creator.

Aww, come one, Pinkie in bed with Dash should have gone down like that scene with Picard waking up to Q in his bed. Would've been a great reference.

Man, a pie tube directly to Tank. That's pretty hardcore.

And now she's descending to Creepytown.

Dashie doesn't like pie? Doesn't that totally sink SoarinDash?

Trash pie to match how Dashie feels inside?

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus New Pony

I liked it, it was in the same vein as Party of One but didn't feel like a retread

Pinkie's main insecurity is in how she draws confidence from her relationships with her loved ones, when she found out Rainbow Dash had been lying to her for so long it's not surprising she went a bit unhinged

Also Rainbow Dashs evil form/Rainbow Blitz was awesome

12. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I've been too busy the past couple of weeks to join in episode discussion, but I'm up to date with watching them now (following the Discovery Family schedule at least), so might as well dip back in!

I quite a lot of fun watching this one. Pinkie was superb, Rainbow was written fairly well, and AJ and Twi were nice to see. I also like the vet pony (can't remember her name) making another appearance. At least she wasn't just a throwaway character from Fluttershy Leans In. Also, Cheerilee :).

That dramatic shot of Gummy while Pinkie was freaking out in her cave is probably the funniest moment of the season so far for me. :p

Also, poor Tank. :confused:

13. Loganberry

I like this episode more on a rewatch, and while it's not going to be right at the top of my list, I did have a good time with it. :) One possible plot hole, though: how did Pinkie get up to Rainbow's house, and then back down? No balloons anywhere in sight during that scene.

14. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

It's Pinkie. Plotholes run in terror from her. :p

Loganberry likes this.
  15. Loganberry

Thanks to @moody magpie for pointing this out... in the Rainbow Dash micro-series comic, we get this scene:

[​IMG]

This pie was made by Applejack, and it looks as though Rainbow is enjoying it. Of course, we don't actually see Dash eating the pie, just with its filling smeared on her face, so it's possible she was doing to AJ what she did to Pinkie in the episode. And until this season, the comics rarely had much specific connection with the show anyway. So certainly ways around the problem! Just thought it was interesting. :)

16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

How cannon are the comics though, there are loads of errors in them like how in the comic Lyra is in Shinning Armour and Cadences year but in the TV show she is in Twilights year.

17. Loganberry

Until this season, you could more or less take or leave the comics. (The RD Micro is also the only licensed media, I think, to use the word "Brohoof". :p) This season some of the comics do fully tie into the show, but it's true that hasn't been the case in the past.

18. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

I think the comics are just under the show in terms of canon, so defer to the show if there are any conflicts.